1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Archived Report: 76561197985785608 - (Noobinator / [TF2] Team Fortress 2 Items)

Discussion in 'Archived Reports' started by ◄Zack►, Apr 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ◄Zack►

◄Zack► New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:41354695
    Scam Report

Report Type: [Money] PayPal scam or scam attempt
    Virtual item type involved: [TF2] Team Fortress 2 Items

Accused profile: 76561197985785608 (Noobinator)

Victim profile: 76561198042975118

What happened? Description:
    Paypal trade with a hijacked Noobinator. Took my 5 buds, sent me a virus link, then went offline. This was done before any reports were posted.​

Provide Evidence:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Blinkdemon5 (Miguel P.)

Blinkdemon5 (Miguel P.) New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:53805052
    Hold tight and an Admin will get to this report soon. As for items I would say try and find out who the main acc is or check the history of your buds and see where they went.
  3. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    As the other threads, you'll see linked below in Similar Threads, Noobinator was of course hijacked for a small window. And those eager to sell quickly fell for the hijacker. :(

Definitely recommend you touch base with Steam Support and link to this thread and/or the others. I'm hopeful they locked down the items well enough to be able to return those items to you. This is definitely a special circumstance. Let me know if Steam Support refuses and we'll brainstorm on this.
  4. ◄Zack►

◄Zack► New User

Steam:
    Here are the history of the buds: http://www.tf2outpost.com/item/440,2528187627,143,6 So I guess that implies that the person that hijacked Noobinator is traderis
  5. Blinkdemon5 (Miguel P.)

Blinkdemon5 (Miguel P.) New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:53805052
    Yeah seems hes the Main acc in charge, Id say there isnt much that can be done since hes tagged. When these situations happen I say try and track the buds down and see if you can get items back. Ive been able to help some people with this and get their items back but its hard and sometimes they say No. Sorry bout the items.
  6. ☠Noobιηator☠

☠Noobιηator☠ New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:12759940
    Hello, Sorry to hear about all this. I was indeed hijacked, and have since regained full control of my account. I have all my unusuals and a Max taken, but did get those back. I lost the account for about 12 hours or so, but the scammer was very prolific and seems to have done a fair amount of damage when he was at the helm of my account.
  7. ◄Zack►

◄Zack► New User

Steam:
    I'm glad you were able to get back what you lost :) Did Steam make any indication as to whether they would get any of the scammed items back to the people who lost them?
  8. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Hi there,

We were quite fast in marking and warning Valve about Noobinator's hijacked account, and the account was locked down soon after.

Noobinator was hijacked in this timeframe:
    April 18th, ~ 3:30pm PST = UTC -8 = 11:30pm UTC / 3:30pm PST​

Account was locked (can talk but not trade):
    April 19th, ~2:00am CET = UTC +1 & +1 DST= April 19th, ~0:00am UTC / April 18th, 4:00pm PST​

The account was marked on SteamRep as Banned:
    April 19th, 0:03am UTC = April 18th, 4:03pm PST​

The account was made inaccessible somewhere between the lock and (no exact record for this available):
    April 19th, 3:50pm PST = UTC -8 = 11:50pm UTC / 3:50pm PST​

He then regained account fully around (unlocked):
    April 20th, 11:06am PST = UTC -8 = 7:06pm UTC / 11:06am PST​

I've worked with Noobinator to ensure checks on his account access, so the hijacker will not be able to get access to the account again from this occurrence.

Mule account:
    As we where quite fast, the hijacker had not moved the scammed items from the mule account yet:

All scammed items where moved to this MULE account:
    | steamname: traderis
    | steamID32: STEAM_0:1:67124131
    | steamID64: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198094513991
    | customURL:
    | steamrep: http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198094513991

See also: http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/76561198094513991-mr-jokny.33788/

More information on the mule account:
    Banned on TF2 Outpost for spamming phishing links back in June 15th, 2013, IP's show Germany (Proxy) and New York (also Proxy) so those are useless. We have on good account that the phisher is probably from Lithuania (cannot elaborate on that, sorry).

The actual victims were:

Loss of 13 Buds:

Loss of 7 Buds:

Loss of 8 buds:
    | steamname: Leves TF2-T [A]
    | steamID32: STEAM_0:0:23350111
    | steamID64: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198006965950
    | customURL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Bableves
    | steamrep: http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198006965950

Loss of 5 buds:

For these victims, please contact Steam Support telling them:
    You have been scammed by a hijacker on Noobinator's account which was marked as a trusted SteamRep Admin at the time (please state it like that). All above trades mentioned have been in that time-span of ~30 minutes before any action could have been done.

As the mule account was caught and LOCKED before moving items further, you should stand a fair chance to get your item trade reversed because they were never moved on. We would like the victims to report back to their reports here if / when items are being granted back. Till that point, the reports will be kept open.

We're very sorry for the discomfort this may have caused. We are considering actions to improve things as we go, and this situation (re-)started a discussion on improvements in admins section for this. The results may be reflected at a later date-- both in public policies and in our own internal procedures with admins.

Greetz,

SilentReaper(SR)
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2014
  9. ☠Noobιηator☠

☠Noobιηator☠ New User

Steam:
    Per standard SteamRep protocol, below is proof of my hijacking, to prove I was not the thief and that I had indeed been hijacked, losing control of my acct. This should also suffice in clearing me from this report and proving I was not the scammer. That being said, I am indeed very sorry for your loss and this mess, and hope steam is able to recover and replace your items. As Silent Reaper suggested, please be sure to report this in detail to Steam via a Steam ticket. Very best of luck to you.

Attached Files:

10. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    Seems I forgot something.

Would the victims please supply their Steam Ticket number for this case.
  11. ◄Zack►

◄Zack► New User

Steam:
    Steam Ticket #: 7200-WOXV-9099 (Hope I did this right)
  12. Leves

Leves New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:23350111
    Ticket number: 9723-RJKM-3069
  13. Leves

Leves New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:23350111
    Eager to sell? You're kidding with me right? I wasn't "eager"to sell 8 Earbuds. You think I would just go first for anyone? I've been trading since 2012, I know how to check people's reputation. I wanted to sell the Earbuds to a trusted person. I waited weeks to find a buyer, and now I've been screwed because of SteamRep. I've been added by Noobinator, who had a f*cking SR admin shield on his profile. What exactly would you expect from me? Going first? I'm just one of your affiliate admins, his rep was much better than mine.

Other than that, this wasn't the first incident. Few months ago EM scammed a Dota 2 courier which is worth over 3,000 dollars. From now on why should I place trust in the SR admins? with all these scam incidents and your staff can't even take care of their own accounts. Plus you guys have 10,000 reports pending what is ridiculous.

Instead of making shiny "SteamRep Outreach Videos" you should process reports and think twice who you're giving admin privileges.
  14. Noobinator

Noobinator Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    Leves,

For you to place blame on SteamRep and/or me here is ludicrous. SteamRep does what they can to help people in the community and try to alert those in the community, on a volunteer basis, against threats and potential threats. That being said, we are human and also subject to hijackings. Trust me, I have not been the first SteamRep admin that was Hijacked, there have been several other SR admins compromised in the past, and unfortunately there will be more admins compromised at some point in the future.
    I used to be a big-time trader at one time, and had been scammed six times in the past (was the reason I joined the SteamRep team to be honest). The world is squirming with thieves out there, and sadly that situation is growing, also indicative of how many reports there are now. Hijackings are on the rise and that number is increasing daily, at an alarming rate I may add.
    As you know, there is ALWAYS a risk involved in "outside of Steam" trades, regardless with whatever account you are dealing with. Steam even cautions us all about outside of Steam trades, and it as easily could have been a chargeback too or something like that. That being said, that is part of the trading world and never expect there to be guarantees on 100-percent clean transactions, regardless of who you are dealing with. It is a risk, and will always be a risk! If you are concerned about a Paypal situation like this happening, the only advice I can give is to stop doing any Paypal or $ trading. I personally no longer do trading of that magnitude these days.
    I ask that you please try to understand and keep in mind that not only were you screwed in this event, but so was I and others.... If you take a look at the big picture and want to assign blame, that would be the scammer and freaking thief who is prolifically talking over accounts like popcorn - not SteamRep that at least tries to do what they can. Regardless, sorry to hear about your loss.
    Roudydogg1 and Xenophobia like this.
  15. ◄Zack►

◄Zack► New User

Steam:
    I have gotten the Buds back via Steam Support, there is no evidence of this in my trade history but here is my inventory: http://puu.sh/8n9g0.jpg
  16. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    Leves confirmed been returned his items.

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.