1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Does the public SourceMod plugin kick/ban trade-banned players?

Discussion in 'SteamRep API Discussion' started by Dr. McKay, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. McKay

Dr. McKay FirePowered Owner Partner Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:23071901
    I'd like to know if the public API used in the SourceMod plugin will kick/ban trade-banned players who aren't explicitly marked on SteamRep.

I'd check myself but I don't know anybody who's trade-banned.
  2. Dr. McKay

Steam:
    I answered my own question, no it does not.
  3. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    SR Plugin only honors tags imposed by SR.

Someone who is trade banned poses no danger, since they cannot trade, and probation is simply a warning to people to take care in dealings with them. Incidentally both trade ban and caution are NOT necessarily to do with trade related issues. I know people who have been trade banned and later probation for untoward conduct (ie harassment of other players, verbal abuse).
  4. Dr. McKay

Steam:
    Understood, but there's no point in them taking up a slot on a trade server.
  5. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

To get current status, that would mean another call to the Steam API, and those have to be kept low for SR. Therefore its not added to the functionality of it. Ofcourse one is free to make their own implementation of it. See the FAQ in general forum section about trade lock, trade ban and trade probation, and their differences.

There are no plans currently to add it, altho Jameless did once tell he'd maybe make a plugin for these. never seen it to fruitation so it wont be there.
  6. Dr. McKay

Steam:
    I'm just going to write a plugin for myself that pulls a client's Steam Community profile when they connect and kicks them if they're trade banned. I'm currently waiting on approval for the SteamRep beta API, which I'd like to use to add [CAUTION] tags to clients who are tagged as Caution on SR or probation on Steam.

This could be done by screen-scraping SteamRep, but that's a no-no according to the beta API post.
  7. AcesGamer

AcesGamer User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19877328
    What would be the point of that though? It's not like they'd be able to trade anyways.
    And you can use the regular Steam API to check this.
  8. Dr. McKay

Steam:
    There's no point in allowing trade-banned players to take up a slot that non-trade-banned players could use.
  9. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    There is little point allowing morons on servers either, so perhaps someone could whip up a handy-dandy IQ plugin?

Datastorm hit the nail on the head, more calls to API without an utterly essential reason is overhead to no purpose. I suspect Admins are (or should be) quite able to prune their respective users without poor old SR Plugin having to do yet more work (puff puff).

* Something separate could be useful I suppose, if someone wants to whip something up :)
  10. Bombz

Bombz New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:35486640
    This makes absolutely no sense. Morons can still perform the essential functions of being on a Trade or Game server. Meaning, even if they're morons they can still play and trade. Allowing trade banned players on trading servers is like allowing players without input devices on my game servers. They'll sit there and do nothing and take up slots from others who could potentially partake in the activities on the server.
  11. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Anything anybody else makes will use their own Steam API key, not using SR's call system. So such will be per default not via SR's.

To make it publicly available tho, would require the plugin to take a var or config.
  12. =PB= [ HT ] Dragonaryx

=PB= [ HT ] Dragonaryx New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41095332
    In some server in games you can make you ban becaufe admins finds you
    suspicious?
    if I'm wrong someone could send me a private message or reply in the Forum
  13. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    What? Any server owner can ban you from their servers or services for anything they wish at any time. This has no real bearing on anything SR related.
  14. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    locking thread, for this dead one walking again scared me.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.