1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

SteamRep Badge Idea?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Katpolice, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Katpolice

Katpolice New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:92954363
    So, we all know about impersonation scams. Guy adds you claims that he's a SteamRep mod or a official middleman and seems like the real deal, right? Then, ask you trade trade certain items for so and so or via paypal then BOOM you got scammed.

So, I was thinking.

If every official SR mod/middleman have a special badge that they showcase on their steam profile page. Then, it would reduce the amount of impersonation scams.

Disclaimer: The only problem with this idea is that where not
    affiliated with steam in anyway or SteamRep is with steam. ._.
  2. Enstage

Enstage SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52569926
    Well if you mean adding one as an artwork or something and displaying it in a screenshot, that's obviously not going to work.

Badges are reserved for games and special events. Such as years of service, Valve employees and beta participants, etc. I'm pretty sure Valve would not add an SR badge.

The only other option is an in game item (like the UGC medals). Which I would imagine is somewhat hard to get added to a game so only a handful of people can have it.
  3. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
  4. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    As badges are awarded to profiles without possibility to retract them, I wouldn't like this. Also, if one knows to (correctly) check for a badge, they also can check an profile on SteamRep.

And that "correctly" is the crux here.... for most impersonation victims blindly just click a link they got from the impersonator and believe it is actually that person on SR.... not even looking at their real profile, or pasting their real profile in SR to check the profile.