1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Announcement SteamRep Policy Changes for 2016

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Mattie!, Jan 3, 2016.

1. ( DIWATANG KANG -Ahh )

( DIWATANG KANG -Ahh ) New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:150897469
    +rep to steam.. making ways to potect our items from thos scammers im new in steam.. and i, enjoyimg on you company tnx
  2. Clive

Clive SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:43668349
    We aren't associated with Steam.
  3. ( DIWATANG KANG -Ahh )

Steam:
    Sir what if they reort me on my profile (ex. reported for attempted scam) it can cause my account to ban?even i didnt do anything?
  4. Clive

Clive SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:43668349
    They would need to provide evidence that you attempted to scam them. You would be able to reply to that report with counter-evidence if you did not do what they accuse you of.
  5. ( DIWATANG KANG -Ahh )

Steam:
    thank you sir i can now public my account thanks alot. :)
  6. OneOhm

OneOhm Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:21143694
    Is there any way to appeal a ban to transform it into the "Legacy Ban" yet, or is that still a far away development? I'm a fan of the idea, though I'm biased because I have very old ban on my account. Last year I wanted to appeal it, but after reading about the process, realized that I couldn't. It seemed quite a bit unfair - especially because I hadn't ever thought to appeal it before.
  7. Seяgeλnt λfro

Seяgeλnt λfro New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:36428324
    You know what would be great? Remove the discriminative "No Appeals for Gifted/Given accounts". People whom include me, who have dumped their previous F2P non-Premium Steam account to a new and a much better whone, who have transformed it to their new primary account.
  8. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    That will probably never happen. There are multiple problems with account transfers and appeals.
    • With sold accounts, it's impossible to verify whether it was actually sold; a lot of scammers will claim the account was sold to skirt responsibility - either that they bought the account after it was used to scam, or they sold their "alt" which was later used to scam once they no longer had control over it. It's an easy cop-out for scammers, with absolutely no reliable way of differentiating who's who. A scammer may claim to have sold their account and be a new person. The appellant may claim it wasn't under their control at the time, but it's impossible to tell whether the scammer is still the owner, staging an account transfer as a "get out of jail free" card, or if someone new is in fact behind that profile. We don't stare into your webcam or anything crazy like that. Allowing this appeal poses an easy cop-out. If we allowed this, the scammer may even go so far as to "loan" the account to a friend, who would claim they bought the account legitimately, and then reclaim the account once the appeal were granted.
    • Even if we could reliably differentiate who's who in the event of a transferred account, it's always possible for the original owner to reclaim their "hijacked" account through Steam Support. Even if legitimately bought an account, the original owner can still recover the account with the assistance of Steam Support if they have enough information to verify their identity in a ticket or if they have a physical copy of the first CD key they activated on the account. If the account was owned by a scammer, it still poses a risk to the community in that if we unmark it "just because the new owner isn't a scammer" then the scammer can recover control and use it to scam again. We can't have you appeal as a proxy for the scammer, then risk the scammer regaining the account and start scamming with it. If the account was used for fraud, it can be used for fraud again, and we can't just trust someone known to have committed fraud not to recover the transferred account once it's untagged.
    If you honestly did not commit the offense that took place on the account you purchased, there is no way for you to properly appeal it. You can't claim a "change of heart" if you weren't the one to do it, and for the above reasons the account would still pose a risk if we granted the appeal by default. It's unfortunate, but if you buy an account then you kind of inherit any of the problems associated with that account. You are responsible for your own account, and anything that takes place on it. This is one of many reasons we urge people not to trade/sell/transfer accounts. Account transfer of any kind is also disallowed by Valve. If they learn that an account was sold or gifted, they may shut it down completely to prevent anyone from using it, or the games purchased therein. https://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/
    Valve enforces that agreement for a myriad of legal issues, mostly related to copyright law and licensing agreements, but the bottom line is, if it's your account, then it's your identity. If you bought the account and it had a delayed-pending VAC ban or community ban, you wouldn't get off free for having bought the account, and you'd be stuck with the ban. If it were involved in fraud and money laundering, Valve could hold you responsible for that as well (possibly from your other accounts even). Don't use someone else's account unless you're ok with any issues that may crop up with their past.

That said, if there's an unforeseen way to reliably sort out these issues with overwhelming evidence and extenuating circumstances, the appeals admin may take those factors into consideration before rubber stamping it. It's usually impossible to handle this kind of appeal in any way other than rejecting it though.
    You Are The One likes this.
  9. Jay 5

Jay 5 Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:157861888