1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Rejected 76561198023598957 Crashingvanity (SR Caution)

Discussion in 'Archived Appeals' started by Crashingvanity, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Crashingvanity

Crashingvanity New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:31666614
    | steamname: Crashingvanity
    | steamID32: STEAM_0:1:31666614
    | steamID64: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198023598957
    | customURL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Crashingvanity
    | steamrep: http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198023598957

http://tf2-trader.com/index.php?topic=24687.0

So on July 25th, I am added by "dew" who had a query and interest in an unusual hat I had been selling on outpost. He tells me that he has a few keys and weapons to trade for it and I realize that this guy is attempting a shark. I attempt to peer into his inventory to discover it was private (as of today it isn't). I ask him about this and he tells me its the way he wants it. I look him up on steamrep and discover that he is a known scammer. So I think about just letting him go and telling him that he can buzz off, but having been burnt before in previous trades, I decide to toy around with him. I ask him to buy cheap games if he really wants my hat. All while this is happening I am present in the tf2-t unusual server relaying information about what is happening. I get a suggestion that I should ask him to buy me a game known as "Blade Kitten". I find the idea comical and decide that It would be funny to see if the scammer decides to actually do so. I tell him I want two copies of the game, one for me and one for a friend.

After awhile he indeed purchases the game and realizes that he actually redeemed it into his game library. He proceeds to purchase a second copy of the game and tells me that he is ready to trade. I remind him that I had wanted two copies of the game and he gets upset at this. He tells me that he will give me the first copy and purchase a second copy later. I had assumed what he meant was that he would trade one copy to me for the hat and give me a second copy at a later date. What he actually did was give me the game first and then I would give him the hat later. At first I didn't understand what had happened when he went ahead and gave me the game first and in the heat of the moment I had accepted the game. At this point a red flag went off in my head that I could have inadvertently just scammed him. I immediately break character from my "clueless trader" persona and tell him that I knew he was attempting to shark me. I tell him to take the game back and after much hassle, he does so.

I proceeded to post the happening to tf2-t's Flame Bucket section for a good laugh. What I did not expect was people telling me that I had just scammed him even though in the original posting, I had given him the game back.

In hindsight, it was an INCREDIBLY horrible mistake to accept the game, and I just got caught up in what was my first scammer justice. I had absolutely NO intention of taking his game and keeping it for myself and the posting has since garnered some controversy from some people.
    Below is a screen cap I took shortly after the encounter of my trade history clearly showing that I had returned the game to the scammer immediately after obtaining it. In the original thread above, I have a tf2-t server owner immediately confirming that the game was indeed returned to it's original owner and that I should be careful next time. The conversation with the scammer is inserted in the original thread.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration and I hope that this is resolved soon and in a timely manner. Take care.

Attached Files:

2. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    I was on server at all times during this. The old "Blade Kitten" joke, which is a bit of an in-house thing from way back was mentioned (you tell scammer when they offer you a few ref for your expensive unusual, that you only play games and you like kittens)...

Well he was giving everyone a running commentary on the guy, and at some point said something like "wow he went first and traded me the game". We all told him instantly give it back.

I most certainly do not believe this guy is guilty of scamming, just of utter stupidity in actually accepting the game. To be honest, the "Blade Kitten" joke is a joke nothing more, and no one should actually play with even a potential scammer in this way.

blade_kitten_2013-07-27_2129.png blade_kitten_2013-07-27_2136.png
  3. ChaSce™

ChaSce™ New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:46218268
    you made him make a purchase of 2 games clearly knowing that the trade will never be made. The scam wasn't you accepting the game, it was when you made him purchase the games. Yes he is a scum for scamming but like they say 2 wrongs don't make a right
  4. Crashingvanity

Crashingvanity New User

Steam:
    5 Months later still waiting. If any admins could look into this, I would be appreciative.
  5. Crashingvanity

Crashingvanity New User

Steam:
    Approaching 17 months and a second Christmas (Hohoho). Still would appreciate any SR staff looking into my case for me. Thanks friends.
  6. Crashingvanity

Crashingvanity New User

Steam:
    19 months and counting...
  7. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    waiting for a tf2t admin to get back to me, since the tag originated from them, they have the right of first refusal for dealing w/the case. If not, Ill pick it up.
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
  8. You Are The One

Steam:
    They have not got back to me yet, ill give them until Friday to do so before I pick it back up.
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative).**
  9. Crashingvanity

Crashingvanity New User

Steam:
    Time flies, any update is appreciated.
  10. You Are The One

Steam:
    TF2T is a defunct community now. You can add me on steam directly.
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative).**
  11. You Are The One

Steam:
    2 week notice to get back to me, otherwise appeal will be denied.
  12. You Are The One

Steam:
  13. You Are The One

Steam:
    Last online 138 days ago. We talked in March, well before you recently went away, and I let you know, in no uncertain terms, this could have been resolved. I am left w/no choice now but to decline the appeal.

Hidden Content:
    Mattie! likes this.