1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

A thanks to all/A Question regarding Steam Community

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by siniK, Sep 29, 2016.

1. siniK

siniK New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19129343
    Hi, I for a long time have been utilizing this site. This site has helped me out greatly on many occasions. My apologies if this type of thread is not desired but I wanted to state this and it seemed most appropriate to do so here.

I would like to thank all the SteamREP staff and community members for all your hard work. You have helped many and your efforts are greatly appreciated.

I also have a question based on things I am just starting to become aware of. I have noticed that a lot of users are starting to obtain what they call "low ids" or "low digits" and going to rep for rep groups as well as trying to use their years of service badge and level to try to make inexperienced users trust them. I recently "interviewed" one of the users and informed them the method they are trying to use to get trusted is a tad sketchy and they stated "oh well it works for noobies" anyway... My question on this topic is what can I do if I can see and I mean for sure see and proof they are doing this? Do I just report them via their Steam Profile and hope for the best or what exactly can I do in this situation?

Thanks alot for reading,
    siniK
  2. Inu

Inu TF2Bazaar Owner Retired Staff Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:62120987
    Thanks for your post, I think we all appreciate it when someone likes what we do.

Since VALVe will most likely not act against this, I recommend reporting them to the major CS:GO trading communities such as Lounge(assuming it is not against their policy to investigate such cases) or to the major TF2 trading communities, whatever the respective game is. I have not seen such cases as I do not trade very often any more but if this is done with the intention to scam or shark, you may find communities willing to investigate these cases.
  3. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Its against Valve's ToS to buy/sell accounts. As for the accounts themselves... with no trading activity over a longer period, I would consider them like a newly minted account. Age doesn't say much by itself. Unfortunately we cannot reach all those traders that fall for that.

What you CAN do is create a Steam Support ticket where you report these account(s) you suspect of being sold. Results will probably vary, and I'm not aware of any other official way to bring those accounts under attention of Valve by a 3rd party.
  4. Dragoon™ ♛ | TRADING

Dragoon™ ♛ | TRADING Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:89145434
    It's best to report them on their Steam profile first. As SilentReaper said, you can then send Steam Support an e-mail with your evidence. For the part about the noobies: I think this is something most SteamRep members are trying to do. We don't only want to fight the scammers, but we also want to make regular Steam users aware of the possible scams. This is why SteamRep clearly states that you have to do your own research before accepting any kind of trade.

It's a known thing that Steam accounts with a long time of service are sold worldwide. Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do about it, except report it. It's obviously not allowed due to the SSA, but yet it happens (and in mass).
    Even though SteamRep is not affiliated with VALVe in any way, I think it's a reliable source when trading. As well as (most) other trading communities.
  5. siniK

siniK New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19129343
    Valve does act against this I have discovered. The low ids are generally banned by Valve Employee BurtonJ or as the angry owners of these stolen accounts call him Saint Burton J.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.