1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Accepted 76561198023557228

Discussion in 'Archived Reports' started by Mr. Happyface, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Mr. Happyface

Mr. Happyface New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:31645750
    Hello,
    I would like to start of by saying this is not a usual report, the reason for that is, it is a report for myself.
    Trader(me):
    steamID: Mr. Happyface
    steamID32: STEAM_0:0:31645750
    steamID64: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198023557228
    customURL:
    steamrepURL: http://steamrep.com/index.php?id=76561198023557228

Description: Basicly, i was buying quicksells on outpost, like almost everybody does. After a couple of days, i got a friend request. The guy offered me Cloudy moon Tossle for 8 buds, when i got back to him ( i was afk) he only had left a roboactive samur-eye. He wanted only 7 buds. I got very suspicious so i checked the outpost, and my guts were telling the truth, this man right here had it scammed off: http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/11333993 ( has has it back now, i will tell you later why). I added him right away and asked him if this was the scammer, he said yes. We had a conversation about what should i do. He asked me to buy it off him, and then he'll buy it off me for the price i bought it. He lost 20 buds on the scam, me helping him would make it only 13 buds. So i bough it. Yes I traded with a hijacker knowingly. After the trade, i was immidietly questioned on the server where did i get the hat, i told the whole truth( i am not going to play dumb like this guy: http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/11453547 who got the tossle from the scammer.) They told me i would get steamrep tagged and i was banned. As i see no reports coming against me i figured i will just report myself. The samur-eye was given to the rightful owner, in return he will give me the 7 buds i paid for it ( Yes, he seems trustworthy). In conclusion, I would like you guys to judge me and tag me if my actions were not justified.

Thank You.
  2. Sjru

Sjru Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:13315037
    Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:13315037
    Hello!!!
    Thank you for your report! An SR admin will review yours in a while!
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
  3. Mr. Happyface

Mr. Happyface New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:31645750
    Hello!
    I would like to bump this case, it has been a month so it deserves a nice bump. Also i would like to explain myself using sets.
    We have a set called "A" it consists of all the traders in TF2
    in this set A there are 3 subsets
    subset B people who knowingly buy from scammer and do not admit it
    subset C people who unknowingly buy from scammers
    subset D people who knowingly trade with a scammer and admit it

In set A we have 3 people
    Person X who got scammed
    Person Y who scammed
    Person Z who bought the scammed item against the rules for the sake of the person X and then sold it to person X for the price it bought it, that way person X loses less then it possibly could.

Now person Z is from the subset D, but it is not a normal part of the set, this person does not gain profit from it whatsoever if person Z would not exist the person Y would just sell the scammed item to any part of subset B or C
    From this we can deduce that Person Z actually did the best thing possible. True the scammer gains profit, but he would anyway thanks to people from sets B and C but there is a big BUT person X does not lose as much as it could.
    I and many philosophers agree that the act is not as important as the intentions.
    Thank You.
  4. Xenophobia

Xenophobia Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20973413
    Intentions good, but every action can't be justified with that reasoning. I appreciate people in the community trying to help victims, but helping the scammer profit is just going to encourage them to do it again and again because they know they can make money off of it. When someone is hijacked, they can contact Steam Support to get their items back. If someone is scammed, it's unfortunate, but there is no reason to help the scammer gain further satisfaction from their ill deeds. The best we can do today is to educate people in order to prevent scams and to tell victims what they can do in the future to prevent scams. Further trading with banned users is not encouraged, even for the best of intentions.

I'm sorry about waiting a year to look at this. I appreciate you reporting yourself like this, it shows integrity and just how honest you are. I hope not to see this again in the future though.
    Thanks.