1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Accepted 76561198080291358 (p****)

Discussion in 'Archived Reports' started by Lava, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    Victim:

|steamID: Twilight Sparkle
    |steamID32: STEAM_0:1:46187366
    |steamID64: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198052640461
    |customURL:
    |steamrepURL: http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198052640461

Scammer Name:

|steamID: p✿✿✿✿
    |steamID32: STEAM_0:0:60012815
    |steamID64: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198080291358
    |customURL:
    |steamrepURL: http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198080291358

Screenshots:
    [​IMG]

This guy could easily have gotten me if I weren't paranoid and cynical by nature. I didn't realize what he tried until after the fact when I asked around in a trading community, where they told me to report it here before he scams someone else. A few minutes after bumping a trade on tf2outpost, I got this contact request, which I accepted, and was asked if I would sell my strange machina for $65. Being new to trading high-value items, I figured he'd chargeback or something, and didn't really know how to safely proceed (or if I wanted to). So I declined, explaining I felt uncomfortable, and he persisted, raising his offer and making it look like he already deposited the money into my account pending a trade then immediately invited me to a trade. I declined and learned after the fact from a trading community that he used a deceptive /me message to make his trade look legitimate, and they told me to report it here before he scams someone else.

Never tell your password to anyone.
    Friday, January 18, 2013
    4:09 AM - Twilight Sparkle: Hello.
    4:10 AM - p✿✿✿✿: hi
    4:10 AM - p✿✿✿✿: you sell machine?
    4:10 AM - Twilight Sparkle: Yes.
    4:10 AM - p✿✿✿✿: sell for steam money?$65
    4:10 AM - Twilight Sparkle: I don't have any way of accepting money set up currently.
    4:11 AM - p✿✿✿✿: you have steam wallet
    4:12 AM - Twilight Sparkle: Also with my current level of experience in trading high-value goods, I don't feel comfortable engaging in game-for-cash transactions.
    4:12 AM - p✿✿✿✿: 65$ its ok?
    4:12 AM - Twilight Sparkle: No.
    4:13 AM - p✿✿✿✿: 70?
    4:13 AM - Twilight Sparkle: I don't think you're understanding; it's not about the price being too low, it's about me not feeling comfortable with this type of trade.
    4:13 AM - p✿✿✿✿: why
    4:15 AM - Twilight Sparkle: These types of transactions are the subject of a lot of scams; some of which I understand but some of which I'm still learning about.
    4:15 AM - p✿✿✿✿ transferred to your account $64.99 USD. The transfer will be completed after the exchange.
    4:16 AM - p✿✿✿✿: it safely
    4:16 AM - p✿✿✿✿: i not offer paypal
    p✿✿✿✿ had asked to trade with you, but you did not respond in time.
    4:16 AM - Twilight Sparkle: As I said, I don't feel comfortable with this kind of trade.
    4:17 AM - p✿✿✿✿: bb?
    p✿✿✿✿ is now Offline.

Attached Files:

2. Cal`El

Cal`El New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:27984633
    Good on you m8 for been paranoid that is a commonly used method that scammers use to deceive traders that are new to the community lets hope he will be punished for this
  3. Sjru

Sjru Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:13315037
    Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:13315037
    Hello! Thank you for your report! An SR admin will investigate this in a while!
  4. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    Is this evidence (or that from other people periodically reporting him) sufficient? I fully understand and appreciate the need to investigate and build a solid case that someone is, in fact, scamming before effectively destroying their trading career, so I'm by no means trying to apply undue pressure to your investigation, but it seems like while this is sitting in a queue the same scammer is continuing to pull the same tricks all around trading communities. If it takes a few weeks to make a decision, then by the time he gets marked he'll have an alt ready to go and will have made enough profit that he won't care about getting marked.
  5. HelenAngel

HelenAngel Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:8627755
    Already marked, adding this to notes. Thanks for the report. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.