1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

A new type of scam? I need your help.

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Ayden, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Ayden

Ayden New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:78928930
    Hi! Today, I've just received the trade offer below. I still have in mind the though that it might be a scam, or he might be giving me stolen items. What's your opinion?

SS: http://i.imgur.com/hIJL7gR.jpg
  2. Enstage

Enstage SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52569926
    They might be scammed/hijacked items the user is trying to dump on you. I personally suggest you decline the offer just to be safe, Steam Support might possibly see you as an account used for laundering.

Out of curiosity, can I get a link to the person who sent this offer? That might explain the situation a bit better.

I also attached the screenshot to this post in case imgur deletes it later down the line.

Attached Files:

3. Ayden

Ayden New User

Steam:
    Enstage likes this.
  4. Ayden

Ayden New User

Steam:
    Proof that i declined his trade offer below.

Attached Files:

• asd.jpg
      asd.jpg
      File size:
      501.9 KB
      Views:
    Enstage likes this.
  5. RuhaI

RuhaI Partner Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:60262405
    It may have been a glitched trade offer or simply a mistake.
  6. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    I've seen nothing but trouble come from just a trade offer sent. Decline it if you have no idea what is going on and take a few moments and add the user and see what they were wanting. People are sending trade offers left and right, some of them wrong for whatever reason but there is no context behind it to say wrong, good, mistake etc.
    If you are talking to them you can screen shot discussions, take your time, make a wiser decision.
  7. GTST

GTST New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:48986579
    Glitched tradeoffer, these happen alot in the last time and they appear in combination with stattrack items included in the trade. You couldnt accept it in the first place as it will give you Error (28) :)
  8. Enstage

Enstage SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52569926
    Possibly, but you certainly cannot say this for sure.
  9. buzaglo

buzaglo New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:159057581
    I guess decline the trade could be the best choice, although you can't accept it anyway. I think Steam wrote something about this glitch, try to google briefly you might find it.
  10. FalcoN | hyperdraft.com

FalcoN | hyperdraft.com New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:94244367
    I've got the same error and trade offer. I don't know this guy nor doe he know me yet today I came home and saw this offer randomly.[​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. a Gentleman

a Gentleman SteamRep Moderator Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:25990581
    Oftentimes an unexpected offer with none of your items in the trade means that the other person probably forgot to include your items in there. Have you posted your trade link anywhere in the past few days?

Also it may be a glitched offer.
  12. schmed

schmed r/globaloffensivetrade moderator Partner Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52746850
    @FalcoN | hyperdraft.com

Hey there, sorry for the late response / bit of a necro; however, that is most likely a glitched trade offer.

The "empty trade offer" phenomenon is something that was posted about frequently on /r/GlobalOffensiveTrade, as many other users like yourself thought it was possibly an elaborate scam. It turns out that most of the trade offers are actually "glitched". I am personally not sure exactly what exactly causes the issue, but iirc the error resolves something around the trade no longer being available. For the other user the trade shows items on both sides, and if you attempt to accept the trade offer (which I recommend not doing) you only get an error message. To identify "glitched trade offers", inspect the border of the items. If there are no borders on the items, it is most likely a glitched trade offer. If there are borders on the items, it is most likely either an accidental offer or scammer dumping their items on you. I have attached a few screen shots as visuals to help you see what I mean.

All in all, (as everyone has said before me) it is best to simply decline the trade offer. Hope that additional information provides you a bit of insight though.

Best of luck with your trades! (And stay safe!)
    - schmed

Attached Files:

a Gentleman and Roudydogg1 like this.