1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

About Dupes

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by Mexican Citrus, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Mexican Citrus

Mexican Citrus New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:42566915
    So I sold a hat earlier today, and the guy wants a refund because it's duped.

I didn't say on the trade that it was (or wasn't) duped (tbh I never check because I personally couldn't care less. My most expensive hat is gifted, it doesn't make it any worse of a hat), but he claims he'll ban me, which seems really stupid, but I figured I'd check just in case, as I'd rather not be reported over something like that.
  2. n0:name

n0:name FoG Owner Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:26752334
    Don't worry, nothing can happen to you - even if he would report you, it will be rejected.
    It's the buyer's job to check whether or not a hat is duped.
  3. Mexican Citrus

Mexican Citrus New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:42566915
    Thanks for the quick reply, I wanted to double check before I did anything (didn't want to refund him because the way he asked and the fact that he checked seemingly right AFTER he got it was pretty rude, imo).
  4. VarmeVarm

VarmeVarm New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:57035566
    Of course this is not your fault, it's his, he shouldn't get a refund, this is not a scam, if you do the refund which I doubt, which is good, you are being too nice, if you don't, it's not a scam, he should check if it is duped or not, he traded, not a scam. What would have made it a scam was if you told him that it was clean, and that he was a noob that don't check or something, nothing to worry though.
  5. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49222635

If you ever need to find out if something is a dupe, you'll need to check BP.tf
  6. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    As long as you weren't misrepresenting, didn't quickswitch, and didn't commit direct fraud, then there's not much worry.

That being said, if you know of a reason why any item is a "lemon" enough to reduce the value, it's good for your trade reputation to be upfront about that. If it happens a lot, people will begin to think you're being negligent on purpose.
  7. MiKapp1t

MiKapp1t New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:59532288
    Just a reminder, it is actaully IMPOSSIBLE to dupe ANY item on Steam. If it were possible, I would imagine the Steam economy would be slightly out of balance, yet it is currently stable. Please do not fall for dupes as they are only trying to scam you of your valuables. It is harder now to come across and supposed duplicators as Steam has applied a 7 day trade ban on any item bough of the Steam Market which was one of the main techniques used by apparent duplicators.
  8. Ninja Otter With A Taco

Ninja Otter With A Taco Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:35378805
    Steam will duplicate items that were removed from your account if you were hijacked for the first time, but please try not to necro, the last post was from september 2014.