1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Any way to Steam Rep report CSGO Diamonds lol?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Solnx, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Solnx

Solnx New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:31926223
  2. Enstage

Enstage SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52569926
  3. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    No static RNG which works with any "seed" without a external random number as modifier is ever fair. There are sites out there that use radio-static for number generation (which is actually really random).
    Problem with such:
    - You can pull as much random numbers as you want from such site and prove "all" of them via such radio static. You can't prove you only pulled that number, and not a huge amount that till one is found that is "favrorable" to the one pulling it.
    - There is no way for an end user to check such.

Hence those illegal lotteries use something public that cannot be changed, like a certain newspaper on a certain date which lists stock values and selecting by some predetermined stock values the last digits or w/e (been a VERY long time ago that I read that article on how they kept it "fair", predates the internet).

In the end it all relies on trust. As for the above story, its easy to add in a "modifier" for the seed, like using the Linux Epoch Time of when the "bet" or w/e they do on that site was placed. Which can either be added or multiplied to the original seed, or use the result and rerun the RNG the modifier # of times etc. And then it becomes provably random enough to prevent such shenanigans. There are loads of such modifier systems that can be made up like this, but a time based (to the 1000nd's of a second or w/e) one will have something random enough to prevent such stuff.
    Can that be "hacked"? sure. The site owner can still put an "favorable" Linux Epoch time by tweaking very slightly the numbers behind the ".", if he so desires during the refresh the user does of the page for seeing his information, calculation of such is done long before he ever receives the result page/info.
    He can only predict a result once the bet is placed if he's honest, which will be too late to have any "use" out of it, outside of knowing how it will end.

Now, a "number" was named. I have no idea how the site works. If the predicted number is directly usable by the user to get a win or higher chance to win then that is something that a) should not be possible by design, b) something to avoid at all cost, c) will undermine the trust into such site. and another couple of issues I didn't bother to come up with. Its late and I'm tired.

If the user cannot use the number directly to their gain, I see no point in this discussion. For example if the closest approximate to a number is required, then other players in a pool will have also a chance to still be closer to such etc. As I said, I never even visited the site, so no idea how the site works and its betting system, and how a winner is determined. Cba to either.
  4. Solnx

Solnx New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:31926223
    Was more a joke with the possibility to inform some people that might not know. Cool insight Reaper - half of that s✿✿✿ went over my head, but incredible none the less.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  5. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    To explain it simpler:

The "Seed" is basically a big number. A "modifier" is also a number, but applied to the "Seed" in some way (multiplication by the modifier, seed to the power of the modifier, etc). Basically to get something randomized. As a modifier I suggested using the time stamp that Linux is using, which basically counts the seconds since Januari 1st, 1970, and use the fractions of a second in it to make sure the randomization truly is there.
  6. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
  7. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    Moe making s✿✿✿ up then.