1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Rejected Appeal: 76561198002272483 - (Salmon / SR CAUTION)

Discussion in 'Archived Appeals' started by Salmon, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Salmon

Salmon Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:21003377
    Appeal for SR CAUTION

Steam profile: 76561198002272483 (Salmon)

Appeal Plea: I committed the offense(s), I admit it
    Appeal Reason: [Change of Heart] I will never scam again.
    Victim Repayment: Yes, I repaid the victims of my offense(s)
    Previous Appeals: No, this is my first appeal here

Alternate Accounts:
    | steamname: Pollo Slinger
    | steam3ID: [U:1:81982687]
    | steamID32: STEAM_0:1:40991343
    | steamID64: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198042248415
    | customURL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/moustacheofsound
    | steamrep: http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198042248415

Appeal description:
    http://forums.steamrep.com/posts/305184

I fully realize my mistake & will not repeat it. While the idea of returning items to victims is nice, it is not feasible in real world scenarios due to the vast number of different ethical and business liabilities it creates.

Going in, I knew the consequences would be at minimum losing my moderator application. I focused too much on the "sting operations" rule, and neglected the "scamming a scammer is still a scam" rule. I justified it to myself due to my intent to return the item to whoever the case was proven for, when I should have realized the reasons behind these two rules.

I am not and never will be a scammer. No matter the outcome of this, I will still strive to create improvements for the entire community of steam traders.​
  2. WarNev3rChanges

WarNev3rChanges New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:46250366
  3. Salmon

Salmon Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:21003377
    The difference from that case is I didn't seek this out to perform a vigilante move or a sting, the scammer came and tried to sell to me, I "held" it and made it clear from the second I took it that I would wait for the case to be resolved by an admin. I completely followed admin instructions on what to do with the item.
  4. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    Cribbit knew better, he showed poor judgement. I dont however think he is a "scammer" I would genuinely be surprised if he turned out to be one. As for the caution, my opinion would not matter anyhow. As for the Donefly case, it was a mistake letting the user off with a caution, it opened the door for users to scam scammers and have it be somewhat "legit" and its been biting SR in the ass ever since. But I do agree with Cribbit his case is not under the same circumstances as the Dronefly case so their is wiggle room for leniency be it a caution or no public tag.

<no hidden notes>
    Salmon and Tio José das Vacas like this.
  5. a Gentleman

a Gentleman SteamRep Moderator Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:25990581
    Salmon has the best of intentions. His active and helpful role in this online community should be taken into consideration. Best of luck with the appeal.
    Salmon likes this.
  6. Cyborg

Cyborg Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:65481715
    While I disagree strongly with cribbit's actions, I do think that good people make bad decisions sometimes. I have seen him help hundreds of people with fixing their reports, and I don't think that he should have a caution. This is my opinion of course.

I do however, think he should remain to have a public note with a link to the incident, as well as a minor description.

I also think that the caution should apply for a short amount of time. This cannot become a meta of giving scammers of scammer cautions though, I do not feel it is the correct way to go about it as it opens up new avenues of scamming opportunities.
  7. Tio José das Vacas

Tio José das Vacas SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:32194479
    We all know how much you helped users and the danger you constitute to the community is very small- these are some of the reasons for you getting a Caution instead of a full tag. The victim being a scammer or not means nothing and you need to understand that two wrongs don't make one right. The caution will stay, appeal denied.