1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Accepted Appeal: 76561198057177466 - (S A D B O I S / BANNED BY SR)

Discussion in 'Archived Appeals' started by S A D B O I S, Jan 15, 2017.

1. S A D B O I S

S A D B O I S Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:48455869
    Appeal for BANNED BY SR

Steam profile: 76561198057177466 (S A D B O I S)

Appeal Plea: I commited the offense(s), but it was minor or I disagree with SteamRep policy
    Appeal Reason: [Evidence] Missing - Evidence is missing or not enough
    Victim Repayment: No, I committed no fraud or had no direct victims
    Previous Appeals: Yes, I appealed here before under a different account.

Alternate Accounts:

Appeal description:
    I am appealing a ban related to my alternate account which has led to a ban on my main account.

Yesterday I was skimming the recently banned users listed on SteamRep's homepage when I noticed one had the same profile picture of a Fortress of Gamers (FoG) administrator. I was curious for the ban reason, so I followed the ban to the FoG report only to find a lack of any concrete evidence of intent to scam. I quickly located a second FoG report accepted with the same reasoning. At the time I was surprised to not see any screenshots of a chat screen or trade history. I have worked at TF2Outpost for a couple years, and have had to turn away reports due to lack of sufficient evidence, or missing evidence, so I immediately had a personal disagreement with the ruling. I made an informal status voicing my disapproval on backpack.tf's forums. There were multiple other users who found the ruling a bit unsubstantiated, and one stating he was tempted to try and create an alternate account just to see if it would be banned.

In a lack of judgement, I decided to follow this user's idea use my old account (which has been inactive on Steam for over 600 days) to recreate the scenario of impersonating a FoG administrator. I then added Richard O'Malley and alerted him to the account telling him I only found the account suspicious, but had not actually been in contact with the user. He then filed a report on FoG which was instantly accepted leading to the ban of my alternate account which led to a ban on this account. Richard O'Malley is welcome to either confirm or deny this encounter.

I am stating formally I did not and still do not have any intention of scamming as indicated by this ban.

I personally believe in the ideal of "Innocent Until Proven Guilty" in cases of people reporting potential scammers. I believe this is the case with SteamRep, and other communities, as well. I have even seen SteamRep reports closed for insufficient evidence in the past. However, I have since learned of SteamRep's policy for banning users impersonating administrators without a need for evidence. While I still hold in my aforementioned ideal; I can understand the need to comply with SteamRep's policies.

Retrospectively, I wholly understand the misjudgment made on my part. I was thrown off by the condemnation of accounts which may potentially be innocent simply because they share a profile picture or username of an administrator. I tend to be more robust in my actions of disapproval of a status quo, as can be verified by backpack.tf administrator, polar. However, this time I was unaware of an official policy. While I do not fully agree with it; I certainly understand the sentiment behind it.

I apologize for my actions, and for any unforeseen "drama" caused by them. I am requesting the SteamRep ban be lifted from my account, and I promise to discuss any personal issues I have with policies in a formal setting instead of placing myself in the middle of the situation.

Original Appeal on Main Account
  2. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    Can you please provide inventory history of your alt account and primary account for the past week. Do you have any chats related to talking to Malley?

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative).**
  3. ♔ Baloo ♔

♔ Baloo ♔ Donator - Tier IV

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:52717637
    Let me know if there is anything else I can provide.

Attached Files:

4. ♔ Baloo ♔

♔ Baloo ♔ Donator - Tier IV

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:52717637
    Just realized I did not comment with my alternate account, let me know if I need to re-upload using my alternate account.
  5. You Are The One

Steam:
  6. S A D B O I S

Steam:
    The other two I believe are uncropped, but here is this account's history uncropped.

Attached Files:

7. You Are The One

Steam:
    Resubmit uncropped screens as already requested.
  8. S A D B O I S

Steam:
    Alright, full-screen captures, and overlapping trades in the screen captures of the main account history. I do not think I can make it any less un-cropped.

Attached Files:

9. You Are The One

Steam:
    You can add me on steam to discuss.
  10. S A D B O I S

Steam:
    Alrighty, I added you with my main account, Baloo.
  11. S A D B O I S

Steam:
    I opened this appeal 3 months ago today. I find it mildly ridiculous after You Are The One added me on Steam, and told me I should expect follow-up within the week; I have still gone this long without any contact initiated by administrators. I messaged You Are The One a few weeks ago closer to the 2 month mark, and asked if I could know when to expect the follow-up he previously stated would likely happen, and he said he was busy, and had not looked at my case yet. I am fully understanding of the constraints of time of working a thankless and unpaid volunteer position, however, it is frustrating to be postponed indefinitely without any meaningful response. When I was initially banned, I was told by You Are The One my case may be more high profile and have more "drama" surrounding it which I have yet to see myself or be shown by anyone. I am not asking for the acceleration of my appeal process, simply the accountability of SteamRep administrators to their statements on follow-up.

Additionally, I have not traded on either of my two accounts since I have been banned, and have included two uncropped screenshots to prove it.

Attached Files:

12. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    I'm sure the appeals admin will reply when they has a chance... after all they are likely working on several appeals at once and many of which are way older than yours.
    In the meantime be sure to read this thread - pay close attention to #15 & #16
    https://forums.steamrep.com/threads/appeal-tips.66354/
  13. You Are The One

Steam:
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
  14. You Are The One

Steam:
    Conditionally dropping to caution. On its face, under the circumstances, I do not see a banned tag as appropriate.

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative).**
  15. S A D B O I S

Steam:
    Hello, I am writing here today because I would like to now appeal my caution. It has been 4 months since I was downgraded to a caution, and almost 10 months since I was first issued a Steamrep ban.

My sincerest apologies for my flawed judgement which led me to this point. I still have done nothing to pose a threat to the Steam Community both before and during my time being tagged. I am fully understanding the consequences for impersonating an administrator of a Steamrep partner community. I do not do so with the intent to scam nor cause malice. I am willing to provide updated screenshots of my trade history on both this account and my main account if necessary.

If there is anything I can do to streamline my tag being removed, then I would greatly appreciate it, thank you.
  16. You Are The One

Steam:
    This appeal was for your banned tag and it was already downgraded to a caution, archiving since this appeal has already concluded.

Hidden Content: