1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Ask A SteamRep Staff Member

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Xenophobia, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Doctor Aibolit

Doctor Aibolit New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19949708
    Hey guys I have a question for you. I've never filed a report, but I'm more or less familiar with the rules and such. I ran into a guy who makes tons of alt accounts, then uses them to charge people for quick runs through mvm games. When random people join one of these games, he offers them to pay him in order to make an australium weapon drop for him. They have a group for organizing this and everything. He also has two accomplices with him at all times to corroborate his magical access to steam's servers. This guy's stuff is private, but his accomplices have pretty old accounts and trading histories. I tried to record a demo, but apparently I failed. I managed to grab a couple of screenshots of him telling me about how he got his friends australium weapons and that he'd get one to drop for me. How much evidence would I need to show that his accomplices were helping him scam people?
  2. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Think that is more a Valve issue, best way is to report it to Valve's steam support ticket or mail the whole to the tf2 team. I don't think Valve likes it that he found a way to "harvest" MVM servers for items...

As for SR... Not discussed it yet with other admins, but as he's providing a "service", ppl can choose to enter it or not, and the only problem SR would have is when (t)he(y) would not deliver or some.

SR is not mingling in in-game hacking of using aimbots, click-bots, wallhacks, or other stuff or w/e, for there are other global ban systems that are looking into that. Its imo outside the scope of SR.

But that is my raw personal opinion...
  3. Doctor Aibolit

Doctor Aibolit New User

Steam:
    Reaper, I did report the users and the group to valve using their built-in report feature. My gripe with them is not that they're providing this service, it's that they do two things: 1) in the middle of the game they kick people who don't want to pay them whatever amount to stay and 2) they claim that they can, for a fee, influence the item server to give them an australium drop at the end of the mission. This is false, they take the 6 keys that they charge, block the user, and there's no australium. I think that constitutes a scam - give me keys now and I'll make an australium drop for you later. The two users with the hacker corroborate his abilities citing their own items, but a quick check of the item histories shows that they were traded for.
  4. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    That is indeed a scam, and can be reported. as for reporting this to valve, I think you better go this way:

http://www.valvesoftware.com/email.php

And select "TF Team" and put links to all the accounts + all you have (screens, even a link to that broken demo they can hack that open) up there
    Doctor Aibolit likes this.
  5. Doctor Aibolit

Doctor Aibolit New User

Steam:
    Thank you very much for your help :)
  6. cRookie

cRookie New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:10997177
    Should or shouldn't I report phishing attempts (ppl adding me and asking to add their "friends"). I see in the format it says "DO NOT REPORT TO STEAMREP" or whatever, but there are still a lot of threads posted.
  7. Thomas Matthias

Thomas Matthias Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:36213483
  8. Fang the Sniper

Fang the Sniper New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:51518320
    I have a question:
    my brother was scammed and he sent a report of a scammer with Item history of the Bill's the scammer claimed was "Worth more" than my bro's freshly uncrated Disco Beatdown Hat Without a Name as evidence, as well as the history of his fresh unusual. However, he dosen't have evidence that supports that the scammer said that it is worth more. Even more maddening, the scammer is selling it with false quantity info on TF2outpost at a price of 6 buds.

Now the question,
    Am I able to go undercover as an F2P/noob with PV goggles and Mercenary and try to get him to trade something dumb (like a botkiller) claiming that I need weapons? I have an Unusual Anger. If i say that my friend gave it to me and that I am wondering what its worth and he tries to scam me, could I report that to support my brother's claim, even if we didn't trade and it was attempted? Is baiting even allowed to try to blow a scammer's cover? If so, do i seem to obvious? Again, if so, how can I improve my technique to make it seem more legit? The scammer's steamrep is: http://steamrep.com/search?q=http://steamcommunity.com/id/poopshit69/ Sorry for the bad username
  9. Clive

Clive SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:43668349
    What you are describing is sharking, not scamming, and Steamrep does not handle sharking cases, so you cannot report them here. You can always try to report them to a partner community who accepts sharking reports and they may ban them from their community.
  10. Killerkarl

Killerkarl New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41840054
    I got marked for item misrepresentation over a year ago and have appealed multiple times since then (one appeal almost a year old) and have yet to receive any information about any of this.
  11. Hvem er Kenneth?

Hvem er Kenneth? New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:24024059

Why is it that people dont wanna buy weapons on steam market?
  12. Eoj Nawoh

Eoj Nawoh Retired Staff Partner Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:40091868
    You're unable to sell unique weapons on the Steam market. As far as other more rare weapons, many individuals have the items themselves or prefer to buy them with ingame currency which is generally cheaper.
  13. Hvem er Kenneth?

Steam:
    Well. Everytime people dont want 2 buy on steam market, they are a scammer. Thats just the way i have seen it. Im trying 2 sell and "AK Fire Serpent Stattrack" on CS:GO Lounge, and every 1 contacting me is a scammer. Pretty much. I Ask if the want to use steam market the say no.

20 trade out of 20, this works! This is a way to spot scammer.
  14. Eoj Nawoh

Eoj Nawoh Retired Staff Partner Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:40091868
    Oh, for CSGO, it's not that they don't want to buy it off the steam market, however many scammers take advantage of it to find players who have expensive items and target them.
  15. Hvem er Kenneth?

Steam:
    Well, I use it as a way to see if they are a scammer. Becuase thats the most secure way to trade :)
  16. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    Most ppl don't want to lock money on steam. They rather use their paypal balance. Also having a fee of 5 % on the Community Market. Don't know if CS:GO has the 10 % fee as well for the game. But a lot of ppl do not want to pay those fee's either.

So no, its not a scammer detector. Its more like having something on E-Bay, and once you get somebody that wants to buy it, tell them that you want them to go to eBid to buy your item. With that, you pull them out of their confort zone and they refuse for a number of reasons.

So no, its not a "scammer detector".

If you want to use the community market, put it on there. But don't push ppl to go from one way of trading to another.
  17. Hvem er Kenneth?

Steam:
    The person that pays the fee is the seller. The buyer is also affected by it but, mostly its the seller
  18. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    Don't you think that the seller won't up his price to make up for his loss? so in the end the buyer pays for it anyways. That vs paypal with no fee... why would any buyer go for an extra 5-15% fee?

On TF2 and on DotA2 its a total of 15 % Fee, 5% to the Market, and 10% on it to the Game owners, which is substantial. Don't know the fee on CS:GO, probably will be at least 5 % for market fee, and maybe they forgot to update their FAQ for it. No idea, for I don't play CS:GO.
  19. Nakkionator

Nakkionator New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:40648708
  20. [G²] Scatman

[G²] Scatman New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:45015208