1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Ask A SteamRep Staff Member

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Xenophobia, Jan 14, 2013.

1. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49222635
    What is the purpose of the "Provide Evidence" box?
    There's an upload box, and a "Provide Evidence" box. A box, I noticed you can type it.
    What's the difference between using this box, and the description box?
  2. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    What's the difference between typing out evidence there verses the desc box?
    Not even the youtube video points this out.
  3. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    Some users don't really understand the purpose of the box either and just type "Proof below".

Does the description box have a shorter max character length then the evidence box at least?
    What's the advantage, other then maybe organization.
  4. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    I never know what to put in the evidence box other then uploads.
    http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/...ou-my-remedy-tf2-team-fortress-2-items.64370/ < this user doesn't really know what to type here either.

So I'm asking for the sake of knowing what I should even be typing in this box that I can't already do in the desc box.
    How about some examples?

All I'm hearing is...
    "You should know...it's common sense...are you stupid or something" < or at least in my head I'm hearing this.
  5. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    examples of evidence not falling within screenshots etc are:
    - links to Backpack.tf to the item with historic ownership of item by scammed person and on the scammer's account etc.
    - Idem but on tf2items.com
    - links to postings on various trade websites like: warehouse, outpost, tradepost, etc etc (less "hard" evidence as those may be under moderation by the users, mods and admins on that site, depends on what is editable) .

As you see, those fall outside the "scope" of the normally asked evidence in screenshots of chat, paypal, trade history etc. For that depends on availability.
    gukingofheart likes this.
  6. Strange

Strange Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:48928981
    How long should I expect to wait for my appeal to be investigated? I started the thread about 10 months ago and I see that some people are still waiting for a reply in threads from 2012! Are there any particular reasons for the delay?
  7. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
  8. Shockz

Shockz New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:80561985
    Is the donation system back up? I'd love to donate!
  9. BIGHEAD

BIGHEAD New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32720787
    I could have sworn Steamrep once investigated impersonations, but I didn't see it under the updated list. Is that still something that can be reported or no??
  10. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    We still do yeah.
  11. dabeste92

dabeste92 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:33581987
    How does priority work here?
    I see reports from today that got accepted, while my report with full proof is now 4 months old and still "Ready for Review!".

Ever heared of "First in First out"? :(
  12. Xenophobia

Xenophobia Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20973413
    I myself handle oldest reports first, but I only work one section at a time.
  13. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    Policy is newest first at the moment. This to ban people that are currently active etc. instead of long dead accounts of so long ago that aren't active anymore. When we can do enough to process more reports a day then there are made, we will eat back to old reports.
  14. dabeste92

dabeste92 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:33581987
    So that basically means the guy that stole 100€ from me and even more from others will never get any punishment or whatsoever.

I'm sorry to say this, but that really sucks and i am disappointed.

If you don't have enough admins to process all the reports, then maybe you should advertise that you're hiring - on your homepage!
  15. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    @dabeste92
    We are a volunteer site, we are always looking for helpers that may eventually become admins. Feel free to visit the application section to take a look http://forums.steamrep.com/forums/staffapps With any such site, especially one involving trust and real world transactions, we cant just let anyone help us out, many scammers, alternate scammer accounts, people trying to infiltrate for less then moral reasons have tried to join SR. We look for users who are already established in the trading community and thoroughly vet them out. Basically, the vast majority of the community simply do not qualify and such work is more time consuming then you or the average trader thinks. Its not as easy as posting an announcement.

But SR is just one tool for traders to use. It should never be used as an end all, be all check. It is not our fault you were scammed nor are we obligated to do anything for you, we are a volunteer run site after all. Most profiles say "No special reputation" we do not imply that they are trustworthy and you should ALWAYS do your own checking of users before trading. Some, but not all things to look out for that I warn users about on my community:
    • Look at the user you are dealing with, is their steam account brand new? Low hours or only recent hours? Low friends/groups? Low or F2P games? Low steam profile level? Or an older account that is just now active again?
    • Are they new to the trading community and have a lot of rep by selling mass amounts of currency or high value items in the past few days/weeks?
    • Private/friends only backpack and or inventory? Look the user up on multiple respected trading sites are they banned elsewhere?
    • Do they have a large inventory for not being established in an existing community? Do they have other items in their inventory?
    • Look at the item history of the items and check the previous owner to see if their accounts look fishy or marked on SR or banned elsewhere.
    • If they are selling a massive amount of keys, ask for proof of where they are from or check the item IDs to see if they are new keys. If they refuse or the keys are spanking new, best not to trade them. I mean who buys thousands of keys for 2.5 and sells them a few hours later for 1.25.
    • Ask for verification private messages to verify who you are dealing with.
    • Screenshot Everything!
    • Never trust links that people give you, always copy their steam URL and check against SR yourself. Also check URLs to prevent being linked to a fake community site.
    • If they rush you or do something that is not normally done or seem fishy in any way, best to pass and not risk your account.
    • Keep offline logs of the users forum and steam name/id64/date and items traded, this will help you narrow down the shady person you dealt with or help you if you get scammed.
    • Valve is aggressively taking action against users who are continually dealing with these types of users, you may be mistaken for a fence and end up with a trade ban/trade locked account and be s✿✿✿ out of luck on top of being banned at various communities and possibly marked on steamrep.
    SilentReaper(SR) likes this.
  16. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    don't forget to check the reports outstanding on SR :p
    You Are The One likes this.
  17. Naxer (broken PC)

Naxer (broken PC) New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:25860525
    I'd like to know the answer on the question which Shockz asked:
    I can swear that your "temporary" disabled donation system doesn't work for a year! Why don't you go back to old donating or realise your plans of automated donations?
  18. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    You played "Valvetime". I put in "Dr Who, Timelord".
  19. derfy

derfy New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:1948671
    So, it'll get done before it was needed, then. Timey-whimy.
  20. M'aiq

M'aiq New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:36600438
    Hello, I have a question about Scam report type: [Item Fraud] Misrepresenting virtual items

I'm a little confused about what should be considered as bannable stuff of named "misrepresenting".

Renaming your regular hat to "%hatname% #1" to make it look as low-craft is obviously a scam attempt.

But what about wrong pricing of one's items?

e.g.:
    "My unusual actually worth like 5 buds, so give more of your items" when this unusual actually worth around 1 bud according to bp.tf unusual pricing
    "I can give 1 ref for this 1 key worth hat"
    "I like my hat, so I'll ask 300% of its market price since you asks to buy it"

What should be considered here as blameable "misrepresenting" and innocent "lowballing"?
    I've seen actual scam reports on steamrep which were almost the same as my examples and I don't know how they should be rated.