1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Ask A SteamRep Staff Member

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Xenophobia, Jan 14, 2013.

1. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    I've looked it up, after that appeal you linked on sop, you already re-appealed here: http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/76561198045747261-tsuna-sop-scammer.16608/#post-76209 , the SOP head admin @You Are The One reviewed that appeal. He specifically mentions on it that you have no grounds for re-appeal, therefore upholding the ruling of the original appeal.

As I looked the original appeal over, it became clear to me that the rules you where banned by still apply. Those didn't change, and most probably will never change.

The issues are:
    - The account you use, was at any point in time created and/or owned by a scammer.
    - There is no way for me to know if I am talking to someone else or not.
    - Even if that would be the case, as the scammer is the original owner, the scammer can reclaim that account at any time he wishes via steam support.

Hence, I have no reason to follow up in any way on this in the capacity of SR admin.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  2. Tig77

Tig77 Donator - Tier IV

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:41295093
    I did a search but couldn't find the answer to this. On a users SteamRep profile, some friends are listed with the tag "friendsonly" and some "friendsfriendsonly". I know it's related to the users Steam privacy settings but can you tell me what the difference is between these two? Thanks!
  3. Clive

Clive SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:43668349
    Friends only= only their friends can view the profile.
    Friends of friends only= their friends and the friends of their friends can view the profile. Basically if you had this setting and we had 1 mutual friend, I could still see your profile.
    a Gentleman likes this.
  4. Tig77

Tig77 Donator - Tier IV

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:41295093
    Thanks for explaining that Clive. I had a look through my Steam Profile Privacy settings but only see these options:

[​IMG]

I don't see a "friends of friends" option. I think this used to exist, but not any longer, unless I'm missing something.
  5. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    yeah, valve removed several privacy settings:
    - Members (any who was logged in could view the site (blocking with that all non-valve sites to call the API)
    - friends of friends.

believe there was another setting too.

In short: Valve API still returns the old settings (law requirement for them to keep the old setting till their users change it)
    Other settings they can change for the users (fall-off settings), but privacy settings of profile they can't.
  6. Fyre Flareon

Fyre Flareon New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:18016309
    If you reported someone, but they "coincidentally" became more inclined to finish a trade with you, can you remove the report? The thread posted does not have any editing tools.
  7. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    You cannot remove the report. In this situation, you should document that they repaid you, with ideally any conversation they had with you about it. They should also reply that they repaid you, and the admin will take it into consideration, among other factors.
  8. Tsuna

Tsuna New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:42740766
    Holy, I'm so glad I'm actually gaining reasonable answers. Anyways, here's my counter to the issues present:
    Once again, I'm really sorry for presenting my case not in an appeal, but here. But I do not want to break the rules in creating another reappeal (which is useless since it would get invalidated), and to shed light in a case that I find unjust. Thanks again.
  9. a Gentleman

a Gentleman SteamRep Moderator Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:25990581
    It's great that you're advocating for yourself/the account, but nothing you post here will have any effect on your (already decided) outcome. The admins have pointed this out already. Condolences, I guess.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  10. Tsuna

Tsuna New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:42740766
    Understandable. However, consider that the fact he can't continue to review my case is due to the issues currently present, and in my case, I choose to show my side otherwise. Still consider IRL: If an innocent man is to serve lifetime in prison, his cries for a just ruling will as what you said, have no effect on a "already decided outcome". However, this doesn't stop the fact he's still innocent (whether it would be a lack of evidence or proper framing).
    Whether my present actions serve no net effect, I still hope to actually do something (then just give up - something I did years prior), which is why I'm basically asking for another chance (for if I'm truly a scammer, I would've just got reported and marked again - which then it would be truly impossible to get unbanned under those circumstances).
  11. a Gentleman

Steam:
    Your account was used to scam someone/multiple people. You are responsible for the security of your account. Get over it please.
  12. rookie | olen

rookie | olen New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:26928326
    hye there
    just wanna share something that was happening to me on saturday 30 may 2015 ...
    earlier on friday 29 may 2015 i bought 3 chroma 2 case key..the last key end up giving me Bayonet Marble Fade FN.. I'm new to CSGO.. i don't really know the value of it...
    ok then after asking around ..got some idea of the knife value..
    Then i asked my friend Fake Hero to do something about the knife .I gave the knife to him..maybe he find out the real value and try to trade it..
    later he told me some one wants to buy it and he want to chat to his trusted friend...which happen to be me...the buyer ( steamcommunity.com/id/pierresmith ) start asking me wether he can trust my friend etc... and lastly he said he will wired the money to my friend fake hero.

Then after a while my friend ask me do i disconnect from steam or anything..at the same time this guy pierre smith also go offline and unfriend me..
    then my friend said that the knife is gone...and then he finally realised that he already sent the knife to 'me' which is a fake account of mine...

He said that this pierre smith guy want him to sent the knife to me while he processing the payment... then my friend receive a trade offer from 'me'(leonardo watch using the fake account of mine) to my friend eye its me...all seems to be me...and he clicked the buttoon...then all dissapeared.... two account involved faker and trader.

then my friend checked the same id with my fake account now changed his name to leonardo watch...and the knife is already with him..

so now i know this is a lesson for me and my friend who's tryin to help at the first place...but this lesson is to expensive to bear...
    planning when i get the money..going to upgrade my rig..but things already happen

idk if steam would blocked him from trade or freeze his account ..idk... just sayin here..if steam rep can actually looked into fake hero report...by checking wether or not the reported account change his name identically to mine... ithink that is a good strong evidence for u if ur willing to help...

u are the master of this thing.... u can do it if u want... im also a nub ...nothing i can do when that thing happen... cant think of anything.. all gone in just seconds...
    i hope u can help if u want to help...which i hope u would...

thanks n sorry for my broken english essay here..
    at least do something to the scammers..
    glhf
  13. a Gentleman

Steam:
    Rookie, SteamRep can help - pending a successful report, the scammer's profile will be marked. You'll need to send a report here. Remember to follow the instructions, and best of luck!
  14. rookie | olen

rookie | olen New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:26928326
    tq sir...done for the report..but not much evidence... if steam rep cant help.hope my story here will help spread awareness for this kinda scam... its tricky, its simple and it works.
  15. MGGAR;M | MOO-RIFIC

MGGAR;M | MOO-RIFIC New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:77143553
    Okay so I have a bullshit report against me waiting for a response. What do I do people don't trust me because they see it. I didn't scam anyone I am accused of basically setting up a way that in theory someone could feel scammed...
  16. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    respond on the report with your view on it. It will be taken into consideration by the admin handling it. I will take a quick look to see if it has any merit, if I see it has not I'll archive it.
  17. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    I've archived it.
  18. BigMac187

BigMac187 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32620293
    I'll like to have a FoG marking reviewed by SR.

They have not ruled according to the rules of SteamRep.

I have a ban on SteamRep when your rules indicate I should not be banned.

Your rules state:

First offense:
    • Item/Game trades: You will receive a one-time warning for any high-value item or game trade with a BANNED account or an obvious scammer alternate account. (This warning will be a temporary CAUTION tag that will be removed when you contact SteamRep admins.)
    Important Notes:
    • Anyone has the right to one appeal. You should appeal if you feel the evidence is incorrect or you feel the penalty is too harsh.
    • Ultimately, if it's very clear you were purposely trying to profit from scammed or stolen items, you deserve a BANNED tag at admin discretion.
    • Even if you disagree with someone else's BANNED reputation tag, trading with them is still considered "Trading with a Scammer". Just because you trust them not to scam you, it doesn't mean they aren't selling stolen merchandise they took from someone else.
    - My case was a first offense, I have not had a previous warning.
    - The ban was based on an assumption I knew he was listed or didn't check correctly, I'm not even sure as they have not been clear. But your rules state that "if it's very clear you were purposely trying to profit from scammed or stolen items, you deserve a BANNED tag at admin discretion." this is not the case as I have made it clear that I payed highly for the item and did not profit.

I have a ban on your website, where your rules indicate that I should not have a ban.

Further more I will like you to request you remove the Alts on my SR account, these were created for my nephew and I will hate to think that he will log in 1 day and get abused regarding this issue.

By listing these accounts you are breaching the Steam TOS: http://store.steampowered.com/online_conduct/

There is a right of privacy you are not adhering along with many other breaches.

If you don't remove the ALTs, I will be both reporting this to Steam looking to take legal action.
    ForteSP likes this.
  19. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32783182
    I'm really tired of this.
  20. a Gentleman

Steam:
    1. SteamRep doesn't answer to Steam TOS. It is a non-profit entity, not a Steam Subscriber.
    2. Even if SteamRep/OFPF was required to follow Steam TOS, it has been exemplary in maintaining the privacy of SteamRep members.
    3. Look at the bottom right of the site. "SteamRep is not affiliated with Valve in any way."
    4. Threatening legal action VIA Steam Support is oh-so-very-scary.

You created the alts, therefore they are linked to your account. There's absolutely no bias in the way that SteamRep handles Alt associating.

Also, regarding your original complaint about being marked. Please refer to the attached screenshot of SilentReaper(SR) explaining everything that you'll need to know, as many others have before he did. SR is not responsible for your being marked. You'll have to appeal FoG after your 3 months (lowered from 6) is up.

Attached Files:

Roudydogg1 likes this.