1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Automatic Middleman?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Cutu Bicepsi, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Cutu Bicepsi

Cutu Bicepsi New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:37908796
    I am planning on creating a website with middleman bots and whatnot. There will be rooms where the items and price is chosen before creating the room(the seller creates it). The buyer then joins the room, confirms the items, the seller sends the items to a bot and then has 5 minutes to confirm the buyer's payment. If the buyer doesnt give a payment, the seller won't confirm it and in the 5 minutes, he'll have his items back. Otherwise, if he confirms the payment, the items will be sent to the buyer. What do you guys think?
  2. Skyrider

Skyrider Retired Staff Partner Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:11715230
    I think it'll cause problems, but that's me. There are always people who will find a way to abuse such systems, where humans on the other hand can confirm things better.
  3. a Gentleman

a Gentleman SteamRep Moderator Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:25990581
    It will cause problems.
  4. Enstage

Enstage SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52569926
    One of these threads pops up every 2 weeks. Use the search feature to see my opinions on it
    a Gentleman likes this.
  5. Tio José das Vacas

Tio José das Vacas SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:32194479
    I like the idea, I've thought about it for many many hours and even did a list of requirements, but even then I can see scammers exploiting it.
    It's not easy as you show it, it's very hard with a lot of programming and thinking. I hope that if you go in front with this that you don't get into any issues. GL.
    Roudydogg1 and a Gentleman like this.
  6. Tio José das Vacas

Tio José das Vacas SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:32194479
    Gonna leave this questions for you:
    How to avoid impersonators of the bots?
    How to avoid the valve trading bugs/glitches?
    How to avoid marked scammers and scammer alts in the site?
    How is valve gonna react to your site?
    How to avoid bot exploits?

I can go on and on. Gl!
    Enstage and Roudydogg1 like this.
  7. Salmon

Salmon Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:21003377
    The point of a middleman isn't just increasing trust between parties, it's about resolving issues when things go wrong.

With no human there to resolve issues, scammers will target the site incessantly since it's an easy way to cause trouble.

The only way I would ever do such a thing is with bitcoin. Also, you would need to get Valve to whitelist your bot or it would get trade banned pretty quick from troll reports.
  8. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Bitcoin is dying. With the blockade by the Chinese miners (who do most mining) of Bitcoin XL by not allowing larger blocks, there is no more space for growth in transactions.

Read: https://medium.com/@octskyward/the-resolution-of-the-bitcoin-experiment-dabb30201f7#.pz78zgbqq
    derfy and Roudydogg1 like this.
  9. Salmon

Salmon Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:21003377