1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Can you get trade ban for no reason?

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by rKn, Aug 25, 2014.

1. rKn

rKn New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:38704193
    Hello guys,

I'm asking you if you can get trade banned for no reason. I'm trading alot and I already have got that scam flag thingy, even though I never attempted to scam anyone. I guess people are just randomly reporting if you start arguing with them or decline their offer, this thing scares me and I'm wondering if you can get trade ban when for example 20 people will randomly report you for scamming.
    Hope Steam is banning only with good evidence :D I have got valuable inventory and it wouldn't be nice if I get trade banned because some jealousy guys report me.

Ty for all answers
  2. xxBonsai99xx

xxBonsai99xx New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32214292
    You won't get trade banned for no reason because Valve has to manually ban you and requires actual evidence, as for the scam warning system you are right, people just abuse the hell out of it when you offer something they don't like or you don't accept their garbage deal. Try to generally stay away from the official Trading discussion forums on Steam because it is a breeding ground for false flaggers and general idiots, the warning goes away in about 3 weeks provided that you don't continue getting flagged.
    SiLeNT KiLL™ likes this.
  3. rKn

rKn New User

Steam:
    I think my flag will never get away, because in these 3 weeks some ret*** will report me again, so I guess I'm stuck with it forever (wondering how many reports I got for just posting this thread :D). I'm not using oficial trading forums, but I guess csgolounge.com is enough to get some false reports. Anyways thanks, great to hear that Valve has to manually ban you.
  4. AZIMAGE

AZIMAGE New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:47798695
    I was trade banned for a week because people abused that s✿✿✿ on me when they first allowed it, *************** annoying.
  5. Hitman Sparky

Hitman Sparky User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:13772726
    See: http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/expanded-faq-recommended.7263/page-2

6. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    To our understanding, trade bans are also applied via the automation system, albeit temporary ones as far as we know. There where never statements about this by Valve, so we do not know specifics for it.

We are aware that traders "revenge" by reporting a profile when some doesn't go to their liking, which makes this tool of less valua to Valve, but the effects are still the same.
  7. rKn

rKn New User

Steam:
    Wow, this is so weird! So if I now report you with few my friends, you can get trade ban? Thats really unbelievable :(
  8. xxBonsai99xx

xxBonsai99xx New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32214292
    It will just reset to 3 weeks, it won't be permanent.
    You won't get a trade ban by a bunch of people false flagging an account, otherwise there would be a hell of a lot of people with trade bans.
  9. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    This new system makes it too easy to report people, which is what is happening lately when people get reported and trade flagged when they didn't do anything. Valve basically gave people a way to troll others since the system is in fact automatic - much like how Craigslist works if you flag a post but it requires about 8 flags from different IP#'s to take the post down. I liked the old way better and really wish they would go back to it - if you make it a little difficult to report people then those with a legit complaint will spend the time to make the report vs 2 clicks and a small description and its sent. Much like posting here - we require a little bit more indepth of a report rather than just someone posting "This person scammed me - here he is and he did this blah blah blah". We wouldn't accept it here nor would I accept it on my site, hell anyone in their right minds wouldn't accept something like this or even the same said for Appeals.

I'll still send in a steam support ticket if its really something that needs reporting cause it shows I took the time to make the report and gather the needed evidence to support the report. I know Helen posted a sticky about this on various sub sections a while back about how great it was but I still recommend people take the time and submit a Steam Support Ticket vs using it or even if they do use it.
    Tio José das Vacas likes this.
  10. Chaos

Chaos Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:33058557
    they need to 1. Better inform users of what is and isn't reportable and 2. punish people in a noticeable way for misusing that system

I don't know how it works exactly from behind the scenes, none of us do. I at least hope they're performing spot checks on reports. It's deforming to someones reputation when all we have is our reputation.

It's dangerous
    Wrath and Tio José das Vacas like this.
  11. leomichaelgarcia

leomichaelgarcia New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:97579871
    me too ive been trade ban
  12. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49222635
  13. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    if you had actually looked... then you would have seen that that account was created today.... he'll have to wait for Steamguard.

Great to know we're now on 195M accounts...
  14. lezhii sexy love <3

lezhii sexy love <3 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:80919623
    HELP ME, i've been trade ban with no reason, and all my items are gone, "if trade ban all items in dota 2 gonna vanish also ? some are not tradable , help me please! TRADE BAN MEANS FOREVER ?
  15. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    SteamRep can not help you - you are trade banned by Valve. You need to address that with them.
  16. lezhii sexy love <3

Steam:
    THANKS FOR THE FAST MSG, i was just sad, i was not even doing a thing and yet people judged me too quick, when i post on steam :(
  17. lezhii sexy love <3

Steam:
    if there's something you can assist with me , or help, i need it badly, i just send ticket to steam :( im really sad sorry ,
  18. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    As we cannot know the reasons why Valve trade banned you, we can't answer on the question why they did. We would have to go by whatever the banned person's story is, which we find most times totally inaccurate.

That means that any "help" we provide would be a uninformed one, where the banned person is withholding information (wilfully or ignorance), and any of our "advice" would be rendered useless due to be misinformed about issues. This means we can't help, for if that ban is legitimate due scamming, we would not want to help. If not, we can't know.

You will have to sort it out with Steam Support.

Archiving topic.