1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Clicked on phishing link and something downloaded

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by rKn, Aug 30, 2014.

1. rKn

rKn New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:38704193
    Hey, so I saw screenshot (now I knwo it was phishing link) on csgolounge, it was in .com domain and it seemed legit, so I clicked on it and something downloaded to my computer. Now I'm scared, will be enough to scan my computer with antivirus or hackers now know how to get items from my Steam profile? Thanks for all help!
  2. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    What anti-virus and/or anti-spyware software do you have installed on your computer?
  3. rKn

rKn New User

Steam:
    So I found out it was .scr file, I readed at any forum somebody lost their items after accidantaly downloaded that. I downloaded it and IMMADIATELY removed it from downloaded things. Do you think it is enough? I also scanned my computer with Avast free antivirus. If I will lose my items, do you think steam will give them back? I'm so scared :(
  4. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    If you didn't open the file, and you deleted it as soon as it was finished downloading (or better yet, cancelled the download before it finished) then you are probably safe. I would still recommend running your anti-virus anyway just to be on the safe side.

According to the Steam Trading Policy, Valve sometimes returns items if they can determine for themselves the account is hijacked. We are not Valve so we can't make that determination for you. Contact Steam Support if it happens, we cannot help you. https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9958-MJDG-3003#hijackpolicy
  5. rKn

rKn New User

Steam:
    Thank you, thank you, Im just scanning my computer. Again thanks, Im so happy that there are people who can help you and you are not alone for everything. :) Many thanks.
  6. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Avast will stop most malicious stuff. And indeed, if you didn't open the file after you downloaded it, then you do not run much risk. Just delete the file.
  7. SevenStars

SevenStars New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:42919798
    Exactly as the admin stated, usually they're disguised executable files. So long as you don't open them and run them you should be fine just make sure you delete it as soon as possible if your anti-virus hasn't already picked it up (Much like mine did).