1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Do this behaviour fit with steamrep report?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Kawasaky, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Kawasaky

Kawasaky New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:93073361
    Hello

Yesterday on outpost a user asked me to trade him one game, after some messages I agreed and the user make me buy the game to trade. Seconds after that the user disapeared, ignored me on steam and told me that he didn't want the trade anymore after I spend money buying it.

Can I report this or doesn't fit as a steamrep warning and he will not be tagged?

I tried with the faq but I can't see this specific case, but maybe I am blind :p
  2. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    Yes, if you have evidence that there was an agreement and you had a loss due to following the agreement in good faith, it could affect the other person's reputation. It depends on how clear cut the situation is, though.
    Tooth Fairy and Kawasaky like this.
  3. Kawasaky

Kawasaky New User

Steam:
  4. Thomas Matthias

Thomas Matthias Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:36213483
    He probably got a better offer. It's hard to prove his bad intentions, especially given it did not happen in realtime chat.

Not to mention, it seems you should not be trading games for items via TF2OP:
    That's up to TF2OP staff though.
    Kawasaky and Mattie! like this.
  5. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    I always tell ppl to not go buy/trade for items for a 3rd party... unless they already gave what they where going to pay for it. Anybody can cancel any trade at any point before anything has exchanged hands between them and the other person. Going by that, only once anything is exchanged between 2 parties, there is a trade agreement to be met between those two. Anything outside that has no bearing on that trade agreement.

The only exception I see there is with the "Glimmer Drop" as I call it: someone offering Assasins Creed 4 for a Lime Madame Dixie level 24, and low and behold, someone else is offering exactly THAT, but the guy wants 3 keys..... if you trade for that hat, the first guy is long gone.
  6. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    Sorry SilentReaper, that's not accurate and a bit narrow-sighted. A trade agreement is an agreement, it has nothing to do with what you've exchanged. If you agree to terms and don't follow through, especially if you cemented the terms and you know the other has to do work to complete to meet the firm agreement, it's a violation of the trade agreement if you back out halfway (especially if it's done as a means to abuse people, or if you are very explicit about the risks you're taking to trust them).

I don't know if the original case qualifies, but in general, you need to stick to you word if you firmly cement a deal and the other party delivers in good faith (in a real-time or documented timeframe).

Obviously to protect oneself you should never enter into an agreement that puts you at risk of loss, but that doesn't mean that traders who break agreements shouldn't be held accountable. A written commitment is a written commitment and the community shouldn't tolerate people to break their trade agreements. Whether it is a mixed transaction trade, or a multistage deal, or a middleman in the middle or whatever. A complex contract makes things riskier, but there's no less reason you should break your word with them.

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    Kawasaky and Wrath like this.
  7. Kawasaky

Kawasaky New User

Steam:
    Thanks you all for the replies, and I didn't even knew that outpost rule, :confused:

I'll try to sell at loss and be more careful in future trades, and as it looks that there is non agreement and will not fill the report as I don't want also to hurt others without being sure. I was on the line of Mattie, as if someone give you the word and makes you spend money, he should honor it, but as it a bit so-so, ill try to not think about it more in this case.

As always thank you a lot for the help :)