1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Donation

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by cikón, Jan 13, 2014.

1. cikón

cikón New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:53770913
    I'm extremely interested in donating to Steamrep, seeing as it has helped me many times in the past, but the donation page is down. Any ETA on this?

In another note, how would I get that gorgeous SR donator tag? <3
  2. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    Currently we are not accepting donations until we put in place an automated way of handling them.
  3. [G²] Scatman

[G²] Scatman New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:45015208
    any update on the donations?
    im highly interested in donating :)
  4. Thomas Matthias

Thomas Matthias Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:36213483
    Not yet.
  5. [G²] Scatman

[G²] Scatman New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:45015208
    bumping this cause I have two questions about the donations:

1) Any update?
    2) In the FAQ, it states:
    The part about the "donator" tag being a sign of positive rep/trustworthiness is my concern. In a previous thread, Thomas Matthias said this:
    Basically is what i'm saying is you should edit the FAQ so it doesn't falsely lead people into believing donating is a sign of positive, trustworthy rep.
  6. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    I've edited that tiny part. The FAQ is due for a overhaul anyways, but.... time etc.

As for donations itself, I don't have news in that front. Maybe Mattie will make some announcement at a later stage, but I don't think he's ready for it now.
  7. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32783182
    Regarding donation tags, if people keep confusing them as signs of trust, is it really that important that people get recognized for being a donor? SR is made to keep the community safe, and perhaps recognition in another way is the most efficient.

Something like an admin will sign an item for you or something innovative? Just keep donations open at all times, but don't give donor tags anymroe.
  8. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    I'm not too worried about donator tags, though we do hope to change the look for all tags to be more descriptive of what they imply.

I was originally skeptical about them, too, based on the same theory, but given they have very, very rarely been abused for fraud, they don't seem to be a big deal. Strangely it seems that people who donated cash with their PayPal accounts (which reveal real name, email, etc) didn't typically turn into scammers... Especially when the donation tags took 2 weeks or more to show up. Scammers don't have that kind of time to waste, nor do they want to reveal their identities.

Either way, when we redo the tag visuals, I think the likelihood is these will be even less confusing. If somehow they are, we'll revisit yet again.
  9. Shamanovskyi

Shamanovskyi New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:58179876
    I'm sorry for my english and bumping this old thread, but there is still a possible way to donate to Steamrep through using your account on the steamrep forum.
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
    I'm also interested in donating to the site, but I'm confused about whether I will really get an SR DONATOR tag if I donate by the way I've mentioned before.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2014
  10. Xenophobia

Xenophobia Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20973413
    We haven't officially pushed donating live yet. When we do, we'll post a thread about it and hold discussion there. I'm locking this.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2014
    daemon likes this.
  11. You Are The One

Steam:
    Would also caution against using that direct link as the system is still very much in testing and any premature donations made may be wiped before it goes officially live or not include any intended benefits not yet added. also, removed link.
    Mattie! likes this.
  12. You Are The One

Steam:
    Reusing thread / Small followup,
    We went threw the 600+ donator tags and removed all the expired ones (previously 10$=1 year) In preparation for the new automated donation system.
    A lot of users got well more then a year out of them since we never really cleaned them up before.
    Originally only the first 2 months of donators from 2011 were given permanent donator status, we extended that window by a few months.
    Anyone who donated more then a years worth that would not have expired yet was kept for now as well.
    A few other users for various reasons (very large donations/disclosed security issues/past SR staff ect..) were left with permanent donator status.
    We have a general idea of how the new system will be structured, but since its not finalized, will not speak of it.