1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Forum Rank Suggestion

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Clarn, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Clarn

Clarn Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:95028868
    Hello SteamRep community members. Today I just wanted to make a suggestion based on my experience in forums. It is actually a rank suggestion wich is called "Helper".

What can a Helper do?
    Well, you don't have to be a genius to actually figure it out, just by looking into the ranks name you'll immediately know that the priority of a Helper is to help other people. But to be more specific :
    - Helping people in the "General Discussion" but mainly the "SteamRep Guides" forum section.
    - Helping in reports (Investigations). For example : Adding the scammer, trying to deal with him to get the stolen items/games back. And letting him know that what he's doing isn't the right thing.
    - Reporting or deleting topics caused by a spam bot.
    - Helping the admins if needed when reviewing a report.
    But the main job for a Helper, is the "Guides" forum section.

I hope you guys take this in consideration if of course you think it would help the community out. I'd love to apply for this rank, as I and many others don't think they are ready for higher ranks such as Moderator, a Helper would be a little bit easier to apply for, and with higher chances of getting accepted. Thanks for reading!
  2. Thomas Matthias

Thomas Matthias Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:36213483
    I will refer to just one thing:
    No.

Banned people can and should repay what was taken/stolen but everytime third party gets involved into trying to get taken/stolen items back, it gets messier than it was in the first place...
  3. Clarn

Clarn Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    That was one example, there is many other ways they could help in a report's investigation.
  4. Thomas Matthias

Steam:
    I'm sure our staff members know how to do report's investigation or at least they should know and I have no idea what you actually mean but if there is something that we should know about that we cannot know about due to its non-public nature, you can always make a report and you do not need any rank to do this.
    As far as I know, users can do that at the moment as well and they do not need any special rank to do this.
    Already touched.
    Moderators and admins delete topics created by spam bots. Users can report them. No need for a special rank. Not to mention, you cannot limit one's deleting abilities to spam bots only, if the forums knew it was a spam bot, it would not be allowed to post in the first place.
    Again, I'm not sure what you mean. It's hard to imagine that administrators will ever need a user's opinion in order to make a decision related to a report. Actually, it's not going to happen because we want to be unbiased.

There is a rank called "Helper" already but you cannot apply for it.
    Tio José das Vacas likes this.
  5. Clarn

Clarn Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    Great notes, most of them are true. But the others are mostly what we think is happening. Not saying the administrators or the moderators aren't doing what they need to do, but there's a bit of lack.

And yes members can also help if they want to, but why not having a team of Helpers that will actually read the entire FAQ and rules, and be ready whenever someone needs help or answers to his questions! Members does it as a favor only, but having a team that is dedicated to do this would be even better. This still is a suggestion.
  6. Tio José das Vacas

Tio José das Vacas SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:32194479
    Just to add 1 thing. You should not be helping in the first place if you haven't read all FAQ and several other posts. Thomas said it all. There's no need for a rank, if you want to help read the forum rules, FAQ, etc... and help ;)
  7. Thomas Matthias

Steam:
    I do hope that everyone who wants to help start with reading the entire FAQ etc. If someone was dedicated to help, he/she would do that anyway. If someone was dedicated to just "get a rank", I would never give any rank to this person.

Just to correct myself:
    From time to time, we give custom titles to helpful members and the title is "Helpful Member".
    Tio José das Vacas likes this.
  8. Clarn

Clarn Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    This would work fine as well :)
  9. Clarn

Clarn Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    Not entirely true, some people helps if they think they know the answer.
  10. Thomas Matthias

Steam:
    I will do my best to let you know if you become helpful enough to get a "Helpful Member" custom title.
    He said what should have been done prior to "helping". Reality can be a bit different.
  11. Clarn

Clarn Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    I don't think that I'm ready yet to get that title. But i'd love to have it in the near futur!

Yes, indeed.