1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Help with getting scammed items back

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Happy Bear, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Happy Bear

Happy Bear New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:24174264
    I got scammed on the 8th of december by the account Ichigo using an alternate account that during the scam had the name flatsound to make me believe that I was trading items to a friend, what I got scammed of was an unusual Grimm Hatte with Terror Watt, an unusual Bone Dome with Aces High and an australium tomislav.

I managed to later find this trade on outpost and decided to confront the person with the hat about giving the Grimm Hatte back to me, he informed me that he had bought the hat from this account and that he will not give the hat that was stolen from me back.

I have sent a steam ticket that I update with info as I find it and I would like to know what more I could do to get my items back, especially now that I have found one of them being sold on outpost.

I'm adding the proof of the scam as txt files and a screenshot, can provide screenshots of the chat with varsketisiskitosplanetos if needed.

Attached Files:

2. Happy Bear

Happy Bear New User

Steam:
    Forgot the trade screenshot, here it is

Attached Files:

3. Tio José das Vacas

Tio José das Vacas SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:32194479
    Hello @Happy Bear . Feel free to make a report here on in a partner community. (read this before making the report). It's a very basic scam now a days, the user usually tells you that he has to see if the items are duped or not. Tells you that you have to trade it too a "trusted friend" and impersonates you or your friend.
    The guy that bought the unusual from the accused has no obligation to give it back to you, since he had nothing to do with the scam (from your statement).
  4. Happy Bear

Happy Bear New User

Steam:
    Then what are we to do with this stolen property?
    Will my stolen property just be traded away like it wasn't stolen from me?
    If this was a thing that you could touch then some kind of government would make it so that I'd get this item back, but just because it is a virtual one I won't get it back?

I'll write a report on the guy who scammed me, but I won't stop trying to achieve justice.
  5. Happy Bear

Happy Bear New User

Steam:
    I like your lil' qoute thingy from ol' man Albert.
  6. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Often the scammers quicksell or trade the goods to monetize the stolen items within hours after scamming it.
    Cannot just expect that someone that bought items from them to know they where scammed, or expect them to give you the items they have actually paid for.
    The debt is owed by the scammer.
    Tio José das Vacas likes this.
  7. Happy Bear

Happy Bear New User

Steam:
    Anyone who does not do the right thing should be brought into the light and be judged.

I don't know how the laws are in your countries but where I live it is said that when buying items from someone in good faith ¨In short it means that the one who consciously or unconsciously buys an item that proves to be stolen is forced to return the item to the previous owner without getting any money back from that person. Insurances do not cover this kind of losses. Should you suspect or know that the item is stolen then you can be prosecuted for fencing and recieve a fine or in severe cases up to six years in jail¨
    Taken from the first paragraph on this site: https://www.stoldskyddsforeningen.s...la-amnen/Haleri-och-god-tro/Lagen-om-god-tro/
  8. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    Happy Bear, this is the internet...this isn't a country. Now here is the situation, someone scammed you and took the items and traded them like normal to whoever for whatever. The end result here is the person that scammed you is the guilty party not the person that eventually ends up with the items as it or they could be traded several more times over the course of just a few days. The person that scammed you is the one that is responsible for the debt and the ONLY one that is responsible for the scam itself. The person or persons that obtained the item(s) are not really gonna be expected to research every item they trade for outside of checking to see if they are a tagged scammer here thru SteamRep. Even then SteamRep isn't known by everyone in TF2, CSGO or other games so at the end of the day again the issue resolves with the scammer, as in any issues you have with the loss of items.

So bottom line is you can either accept that and go about your business of making a valid report here and with Steam Support or you don't.
  9. Happy Bear

Happy Bear New User

Steam:
    And I'm not implying that the person holding the stolen unusual is guilty of scamming or holds any debt to me, I'm saying that the one holding the item is quilty of withholding a stolen item and is unwilling to part with said stolen item even when confronted by the original owner. The scammer is the one holding a debt to the one buying the stolen item, if I were to recieve the hat from the one who bought it from the scammer then the scammer would have a debt to the one who bought and not to me.

I've made a report about the scam and scammer and I've made a steam ticket.
    That part of everything is done.

Now I will go to other means to try and get my stolen items back. Is it weird to pursue people because they hold things that have been stolen from you? If a person steals something from you and then hands it to another person, will you go to the person currently hodling the item or will you go to the original thief to ask it back?
  10. Happy Bear

Happy Bear New User

Steam:
    I'd part with an unusal if it turned out to be stolen from someone and I was confronted with proof of said stealing.
  11. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    Would be impossible to enforce/arbitrate due to how the secondary market of valves virtual items work to begin with. No matter what you think or even what is right in a perfect world (where scams would not happen to begin with) no one would go along with it because its more unfair to f✿✿✿ a completely innocent trader a dozen trades down the line. Would that user have a claim against the user he got it from? so are we going to tag/report every user who ever touched it to the source, marking those dozen users as banned? Your nuts if you think that, a line has to be drawn somewhere, the TWS (trading w/scammers) policy was specifically crafted to prevent/discourage these "dirty" goods from circulating directly back into the legit market by fences, they are held accountable as well.

Just remember, scamming a scammer or a user who currently has your stolen items who obtained them legitimately will result in you being tagged as well. They are under no obligation to you.
    Pacquis and Wrath like this.
  12. Happy Bear

Happy Bear New User

Steam:
    May I see this TWS policy?
  13. You Are The One

Steam:
    You may, use search.
  14. Happy Bear

Happy Bear New User

Steam:
    since it is possible to track where an item have come from and who traded it to who and where it when they pop up on trading sites, would it not be possible to implement a feature where the person an item was stolen from could provide proof could make it so that that item is tagged as a stolen item, discouraging people even more from buying it and making it very easy to spot?

Is it on this site?
  15. You Are The One

Steam:
    use search.
    as for your above suggestion, use search, was a topic about that before somewhere.
  16. Happy Bear

Happy Bear New User

Steam:
    I used search, the only threads that appear are report threads and this thread being at the top.
  17. Ninja Otter With A Taco

Ninja Otter With A Taco Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:35378805
    Quoted from the FAQ:
    http://forums.steamrep.com/pages/faq/

That states the TWS policy.
  18. Clive

Clive SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:43668349
    Wrath likes this.
  19. Happy Bear

Happy Bear New User

Steam:
    http://forums.steamrep.com/search/4001267/?q=trading with scammers&o=date
    Then that's why we got different results from our trades, I got 9 pages of results with almost every one being reports. I didn't know what part of the forum the thing was on so I searched the whole forum.

Thank you.
  20. Potatoman2012

Potatoman2012 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:28542236
    Why isn't this guy have a scammer mark on steamrep yet? He has five reports on him for God's sake. Check out krongle's report as well. I linked the other alt account ichigo also has on that report. Steamrep is incredibly slow at times. Lost so many items to that guy. And I only get automated messages back from steam support that says it will not give any items back. Hopefully I'm gonna get an answer from a real person soon.

The reports on this guy is increasing fast. Get him the mark as quick as possible and his alts as well. After krongle posted his report, two more people have been scammed.
    Happy Bear likes this.