1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

How to get better reputation

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by NCPereira, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCPereira

NCPereira New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:35293815
    Hello there, I'm new here and I would like to know if there is any way of getting marked with good reputation here, and if there is, how; or if this is just supposed to show people with bad rep.

Thank you in advance.
  2. Champelliot

Champelliot New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:36236835
    As a general rule, 99% of non scammers have a no reputation sign. Steamrep only awards trusted and middleman signs to very few people. If you look at the trusted seller or middleman list, you will probably notice how short the list is. Being tagged "Trusted" often involves years of trading, and harboring total honesty and trustability along with it.
    Most people will never receive the trusted mark.
  3. NCPereira

NCPereira New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:35293815
    Thank you for the quick answer
  4. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Not entirely true, but close nuff. Some, like Avenger did got a vouch from DataStorm, and got their MM tag, there have been others likewise. Problem nowadays that the shortlist of personal acquaintances gets short in introducing trustees, and the admins far to busy to make easily new ones. So there goes the "requires years of trading" out of the window.

To be honest, the green tags are for ppl actually involved in making the community tick, any member of the SR admin team performs a function, as do the Community Admins we listed. Its hard to give a community their own tags, for it requires a lot of research and communications on our part to make sure a lot of checkboxes are actually ticked and verified to be correctly ticked.

As such, such CA's have often a lot of work on them to be a member as such, for then responsibilities pop up, and need to be met.

The most common route for getting "good" rep is getting a rep thread, let only bigger trades comment, sure here and there maybe small ones, but the bigger ones count. Do trade around on multiple communities so any of those are giving you their benefits. The ppl with the green tags, those are working around on trade communities, to make places a safe harbor and spend a lot of time into this. The reward is a green badge on SR. Altho that badge is envied by traders for the trust those give to others, those traders don't have to do the work those admins do, and they don't see that. Once they really find out, most don't want to go for that anymore. Everything has its own burden. There are communities around that have very low step-in for being a "admin" on them, and at the same time, that devaluations their worth.

Due this, I will always say: once established on SR the rep is "No special reputation" all the real rep is right there, who that person is, their rep threads, Steam profile (comments on there don't count for "rep"), and so on. People themselves decide who they trade with, regardless of SR. SR main goal is informing who are marked scammers. That along the way we had to take reports, research them, and give some special ppl a nice green tag to make them more easily recognized for they where impersonated too much by scammers, that was just part of it.
    Melkor likes this.
  5. Venny_

Venny_ New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:42185124
    If you mean to get a lot of rep on like trades, my friend made up a very very good and fast way to get rep fast. Rep the person you trade with after the trade and tell them that you repped them. 90% of the time they'll do it back.
  6. AcesGamer

AcesGamer User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19877328
    Repping for non-cash trades is like having no rep at all, since there is no element of trust involved.
  7. Champelliot

Champelliot New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:36236835
    Rep isn't like a "this player is nice" type of thing. A rep comment means that you put your trust in them and they didn't betray you. If a person just sees +rep comments with no description, they will ignore them, so your 500 comments are actually worth nothing.
    A simple way of deciding if something is worth repping is like this:

Q.1 Was the trade conducted in one transaction? If yes-No rep comment. If No-Go to Q.2.

Q.2 Did you use a middleman? If yes-Rep the MM, but not the other trader, no trust was involved. If No-Go to Q.3.

Q.3. Did you go first? If Yes-Rep the person you were trading with, you should get no rep since they didn't invest trust in you. If No-They should rep you.
    SilentReaper(SR) likes this.
  8. Venny_

Venny_ New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:42185124
    kfien, stop hating on me.
  9. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    Rather limited with your notions about "rep" aren't you?

The vast majority of people who play this game never touch a Paypal deal ever, and rep doesn't only pertain to money transactions.

As for "rep" itself, it means different things to different people, and how they account for it varies greatly, and it certainly isn't a major indicator to have a few entries on some page on SOP or elsewhere. Certainly SR Admins tag and to a lesser extent others have meaning, however to try to gauge trust wholly on some rep tread is dangerous.

I could list more name than I care to who have voluminous pages on SOP and yet have turned out to be major scammers. This is a game and people often sever ties to it for frivolous reasons and burn bridges.

I have never paid much heed to SOP threads, nor ever really needed one. Granted I am a little different to the average player, however in general rep is a combination of many factors and irrespective of trying to buy a few keys or applying for admin or similar, the trust people seek comes down to a value decision which is often the sum of many factors.

While threads are useful, by far the most important part of your reputation comes from playing the game, meeting people and making friendships with people who have more contacts/experience/knowledge than you do and this takes time. Most of the people who "matter" in this game are friendly and do get to know who is who, and over time such people become the figures who vouchsafe individuals.

If people do not know you in this game, you do not have much reputation, simple as that. Sure rep threads are important, but they only take you so far. If I asked most people in this game to go and get as many unusuals lent to them in a hour, most would be lucky to scare up one, while others could fill several pages without breaking a swear, and to do that you need a ton of reputation.
  10. Chaos

Chaos Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:33058557
    Well the OP was asking about rep on the SteamREP forums. The word "rep" here generally means a thread with records of paypal trades. Trust isn't gained for item trades. Trust is gained when there is a real chance of a scam or misdeed. There can be no misdeed where an item for item trade is the only part of the transaction. Unless, of course, the victim falls for a quick switch scam which unfortunately still happens, even with the safeguards valve have put in place with the steam trade window.

The only way one can become trusted without cash trades in a community is for an admin with the power to give admin to another user to do so.
    Backseatsman likes this.
  11. atom-

atom- Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:19172005
    I agree.
    It is not about limiting one's notion about "rep". Here at SR we provide the platform where actual "trust" transactions occur. This is the derivation of "+rep". If you see a lot of steam profile comments traders are "+repping" due to a waterfall effect of seeing others receiving "+reps" from paypal trades. They view this as the norm and as a result they rep for within steam trades. Which have absolutely no element of trust. Sure character references, word of mouth from the right people is a good thing (which I believe you are referring to), but when tracking "+reps" in $$ transactions, quantity of successful trades should be considered as well as the time frame of such trades. Trust trades such as paypal transactions out of Steam actually increase your buy/sell reputation, not conducting non-cash trades. I think you overlooked this in your spiel, trust is gained when you interact outside the trade platform and there are risks involved for both sides. That's when the character of a person is known.

I believe OP was merely referring to the black and white element of our positive tags and negative tags not the shades of grey.

Also from a few previous appeals on non-cash +repping and my decision. They can easily be interpreted as falsified rep, simply, do not do it.
    http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/76561197990826764-nukleone-sr-scammer.7416/
    http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/76561198058447257-xsamyaza-sr-scammer.7345/
    Quite simply, the successful exchange of items through an automated system such as Steam trade where both receive the items they had seen in the partner's window, does not build reputation. Go and send a ticket to Steam Support and +rep their team due to the success of their trading platform, don't +rep the trader.
    Backseatsman likes this.
  12. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    My comments were directed at the OP who obviously has an interest in developing his level of trust in the community, and was asking if SR has a mechanism for this, in responding I sought to provide him with a better understanding of what gaining a decent reputation actually entails.

Far too many people who don't even play the game anymore, seem to believe that treating hats like two bit whores and translating them into dollars in a bank account is commonplace, when the truth is only a miniscule fraction of people ever buy or sell anything via Paypal. From memory I have only ever bought something once, of course I have had to MM hundreds of Paypal deals, but that is part of a job description. Do not get tunnel vision and think "rep" is confined to "Paypal", in-game trades are very much a factor. I regularly broker hats and while some people I know may have 20 pages on SOP, none of them could holler and borrow a few hundred buds for worth of hats or promos in under an hour as I could, and if that would not be considered a "risk" to the people I asked, what would?

SR as is obvious deals with negative reputation, and the OP needs to realize that gaining trust in the community is a combination of many factors and he should not be under the illusion that some page anywhere is going to get him a ticket to ride.

I probably should have replied in a few words and told the OP SR is not designed to do what he asks, but silly me thought I would give him some advice that might help him a little since he most certainly isn't after a TS tag.
  13. atom-

atom- Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:19172005
    I would advise you to read my post again, as I do elaborate on the side of the coin in which you are referring to.

It is not about "tunneling vision rep" but what I was outlining was the quantitative measurement of trust which we observe through "+reps" as well as their quality. By all means character references and word of mouth which may build from in-game trades/other interactions may put you as "trustworthy" in a few individual's eyes, the idea of trust is critical in the cash based trading aspect of the TF2 community.

Your response to my post is actually a huge digression from the point I was actually making so I'll leave that as my 2cents. If you feel it was silly of you to leave advice, that is solely on you, I won't argue with that. If you have any issues with what I have stated, feel free to PM me.

For the OP, helping out fellow traders through pricechecks, scammer checks, trade advice, continual interaction, brokering etc etc. is another aspect of gathering "reputation". Getting marked with good reputation on steamrep is not only a combination of the above but also has a certain emphasise on trusted cash base transactions (trusted seller/middleman). I myself am the current SOP Trusted Seller List Manager and was a former SOP and SR Trusted Middleman, so I can attest that this is a good route to go down to prove your trust and value to the community.

For more, read SilentReapers post, he summed it all up nicely.
  14. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Pretty good description. I'd also set a lower limit of 10 USD on it.

Its a pretty simple statement: Only the person in a cash trade that went first should give rep to the other person.

This is the reason that any real rep goes so slow in gaining, and many of a "steam profile" rep sheet is practically worthless, and we advice against it to keep such on your steam profile. Why? well, for one thing, any negative rep can be deleted by the owner of that profile.... so you don't see the "balanced truth" of the rep, only the one-sided one.
  15. fxu

fxu New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:12100580
    New people who only care about rep used to worry me a whole lot. It's not a strange thing for scammers to do a bunch of low level trades to get fast rep and then go on a scamming spree.

*shivers*
  16. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    Indeed, and SOP is largely pointless given people enter posts for the most frivolous reasons and as I understand it what was once clear in the rules is not adhered to.

Quite often is it the users to blame here, forced to go on "rep" gathering sprees and no amount of admins can possibly vet all that :)
  17. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    Kinda like some idiots who give/receive rep who don't actually use sop to trade. don't worry tho, my mods will do their best to find these "invalid" threads and lock them.

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
  18. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    Well isn't that easier said than done?

I queried a lot of people about SOP rules, since: "-Rep left here should be limited to transactions that took place on SOP and not from other sites." appeared to my eyes to make the majority of entries left by most users to be wholly invalid, given their is a preponderance of comments which have nothing to do with Paypal and most certainly were not conducted on SOP, and everyone told me (paraphrase) "oh that doesn't matter SOP admins have broadened it and don't fuss about that".

It would be helpful if rules were clarified, I personally don't ask anyone to post on my thread, I think I have only checked the thing once in a blue moon, but I do know a great many people (including admins) who actively ask others to rep them for MM spycrabs and such on all manner of sites, and if this is wrong according to rules, it would be helpful to clarify, given if so, it appears to be a very widespread misconception.
  19. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    Nowhere does it say/imply its limited to just pp anymore then it allows mm rep.
    Nothing was changed or "broadened", it was simply an uptick of new users abusing sop rep
    Not sure what needs clarifying, outside rep is outside rep. Rep rules are posted in many places, I cant make you idiots read them tho.
    full rules | rep rules 1 sticky | rep rules 2 sticky | read first new rep sticky | invalid rep sticky
  20. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    Thanks for the clarifications Butane, hopefully that info is helpful to the OP also.

Incidentally I only saw the one item pertaining to rules, so thanks for pointing the full links, I will check them later and refer people to them who ask for info. Cheers.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.