1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

I got hijacked, got my items back, I wanna be more secure

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Will Banks, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Will Banks

Will Banks New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:53059930
    Hey all, a couple weeks ago I was hijacked, and I did get my items recovered (most of them were not sold on the market or traded away, so most of them aren't duplicated)

(I would really appreciate if you guys read this and helped, I just wanna stay safe).

I really wanted to make my steam account as secure as possible after this. So I changed my password to be more than 20 characters long. I also setup a phone number and mobile authorization, so to login from a new location I have to insert a special code that changes every 30 seconds that is only seen on my mobile phone (I think that's pretty awesome). I also locked my account and then regained access through steam support.

I ran malwarebytes (recommended by steam support) and it detected the malware and removed it. I also scanned any other device that I have logged into my steam account with (basically just my laptop) and did a whole cleanup.

My PC is clean and has no malware, I created the best steam security, but I still don't feel safe.

In 5 days, I will be able to use the market, trade, etc. And I am worried that the hijacker is still able to access my account, and will take the items again when I am able to trade/buy stuff from the market. And steam support doesn't return items a second time.

So, I wanted some suggestions on how I can make my account/computer more secure so this doesn't happen again.

For example, would adding characters like "*&#*!" make it harder for the hijacker to break in?

Thanks so much for reading, I appreciate your time.

P.S: Here is 2 profiles, the first is the account that the hijacker used to talk to me, and the second was the account that actually stole the items.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198063300816
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198211447213

P.S.S: I plan to report both profiles to Steam Rep. I have screenshots of the chat log and the trade history, but there is no proof that the 2 accounts were ever connected. But, it seems they are because of the timing of all this happening.
    Is this enough proof to get them both marked on SteamRep? Or only one?
  2. a Gentleman

a Gentleman SteamRep Moderator Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:25990581
    Don't click on links. Turn on mobile authenticator. Turn on email trade confirmations (as of oct22nd it'll be mobile trade confirmations). Don't click on links. Don't click on links.

Deauthorize all of your devices (except the current one). You can access this via Steam Guard.

The one time I got hijacked, I created a new email from a new laptop for my Steam account.

Don't click on links.
    schmed likes this.
  3. a Gentleman

a Gentleman SteamRep Moderator Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:25990581
    Often, attempts to contact you are made from hijacked/stolen accounts. If you believe that the attempt was in fact manual, you should report it to SteamRep. Automated spam hijack attempts are not accepted as per SteamRep Investigative Policy.
  4. Will Banks

Will Banks New User

Steam:
    yeah i did the mobile stuff, im hesitant to change my email but ill consider it.
  5. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
  6. schmed

schmed r/globaloffensivetrade moderator Partner Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52746850
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  7. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    he wanted to protect himself from hijacks... the common scams aren't hijacks...

(didn't read those yet, prolly hijacks are also part of it, but I had more specific advice in mind when I posted the above.)
  8. Will Banks

Will Banks New User

Steam:
    tha
    nks man :)
    schmed likes this.
  9. Will Banks

Will Banks New User

Steam: