1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

I recently avoided a chargeback by having a custom note

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by BigMac187, Sep 27, 2016.

1. BigMac187

BigMac187 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32620293
    • This user's advice goes against SteamRep's recommendations. Never use deceit or trickery in financial transactions.
    Thought i'll share, this may save someone a charge back.

I recently had someone try to complete a charge back but was saved by asking them to leave the following notes: Not sure if this was a one off kind of deal (if reading use at your own risk) but I spoke to a rep at PayPal who was asking for postage evidence, I asked them to look at the notes as the evidence should be there.. case was closed soon after.

"I received the physical item in my postal mailbox and am paying for those goods as promised, the seller had a friend personally deliver the item"
  2. Enstage

Enstage SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52569926
    Interesting. However I'm assuming this was a PayPal money for physical item trade...I would hope they would look at the custom notes in these cases. For Steam / other virtual items, I'm not so sure it would help, but I'm in the habit of ensuring they're there just in case ;)

As you said though, might be a one off, so I would never rely on notes alone as my evidence.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  3. BigMac187

BigMac187 New User

Steam:
    This was for a virtual sale, in the case of TF2 there's no real way from the charge backers point of view to prove that they are charging back a virtual item sale when they have left notes that they have purchased a physical item that was delivered.

Yeah I defiantly wouldn't feel safe just using that but personally feel safer using it over the common notes. I know some people like to ask for the notes to have specifics like how many, steam profile..ect but that doesn't really help with avoiding chargeback, with these notes i feel could be safer as there's a point of dispute and anyone planning to chargeback will avoid dealing with me asking for those notes.
  4. Salmon

Salmon Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:21003377
    If the person doing the chargeback was smart they could still avoid that as evidence.

Paypal decides things in a very case by case basis and has no concept of precedent.

I'm glad it worked out in this case though.
  5. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    Lying to Paypal, great advice!
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  6. Inu

Inu TF2Bazaar Owner Retired Staff Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:62120987
    I am absolutely with YATO on this one. Claiming physical deliver of intangible, virtual goods will backfire hard if the other party counters with evidence that such delivery is impossible.
  7. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Not exactly what was said in the lie. The lie was about that it was a physical agreed item.

Not some we can recommend to people.
  8. BigMac187

BigMac187 New User

Steam:
    Not asking you to recommend it to people, this post wasn't directed to SteamRep staff but more for visitors. Just highlighting to other visitors that it worked for me (not saying it'll work for you) it's just a way to make things harder for people considering charging back where the traditional notes don't help at all. With this at least there's a debate point and if someone is planning to chargeback they will have second thoughts.
  9. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    Hence why an admin chimed in to point it out as bad advice. The last thing we need, as an anti-fraud site, is someone pointing out how they "read on SteamRep" that committing perjury was a good idea. YATO's reply wasn't directed at you either, but those people who might take you seriously.
  10. BigMac187

BigMac187 New User

Steam:
    It's not bad advice as it saved me a charge back, people come here to not get scammed and taking my advice can help avoid them from being scammed. As an idea selling xxx amount of keys over PayPal and then sending a "blank envelope" to the users postal address with the buyer advising of the physical purchase in the notes will most likely save you a chargeback as something physical was technically sold.

But seriously as an "anti-fraud" site that collects sensitive information (especially from kids) the last thing you need is to not have a privacy policy (https://termsfeed.com/blog/privacy-policy-mandatory-law/) up until then you should refrain from giving legal advice.
  11. Roudydogg1

Roudydogg1 SteamRep Admin Friend Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:58227918
    Telling people to break the law, perjury is illegal.

You're hopeless..
  12. BigMac187

BigMac187 New User

Steam:
    I'm hopeless, do you even know what Perjury is? You need to be under oath to commit Perjury, with your thinking on this if a wife asks her husband does my ass look fat in this and if he says no then they should probably go to jail. Telling lies isn't illegal otherwise we will all be in jail. You can't sit there and pretend like extreme privacy laws aren't being broken here (passing of private info from here to other communities / other communities to here / screen caps of bank and PayPal accounts with no privacy policy to state who has access and what is happening to that information... which is required by Law in many countries especially when dealing with kids) these are serious issues but you're ok with that and have looked passed it but when I suggest something which isn't even illegal you act all high and mighty. No one is going to go to jail for requesting a custom note in PayPal as it is not illegal, though they could for breaching privacy laws... if you want to be act like a lawyer focus on that.
  13. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    Upon accusations of a legal nature, it's recommended procedure for our volunteers to cease further discussion on the topic without legal counsel. If you or your representative wishes to contact the organization to discuss this matter, please use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of this forum or the contact form on the OFPF website.

Regards.
    SilentReaper(SR) likes this.