1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Impersonators through paypal trades, idea?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by DR.JIGGLES, Sep 19, 2014.

1. DR.JIGGLES

DR.JIGGLES New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:23978872
    pls no h8
    Hello, recently i have been impersonated by an impersonator and i came up with an idea that could help prevent these impersonations.
    When someone has a rep thread they should say in their thread something like make sure it is the real me and my account should have lv 10, 5 yrs old etc etc. Then a link to their profile. This should not take any more then 5 min for people with rep threads to update. Should be even faster to check for someone who is trying to buy something whether it is the real person. This would also serve as an obvious reminder for people to check for impersonators
    I know that people do this already but mostly AFTER they have been impersonated.
    ex.
    Guy asks to buy through paypal, gives rep thread
    Seller checks rep thread sees that the guy has written 5 yr old steam account and lv 10
    Sees that the account does/doesnt have the following
    so on and so on

and of course steam rep would probably have to push places like bp.tf, sourceop, tf2trader, and other rep sites to encourage people to post this.
  2. Wrath

Wrath New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:30129880
    I've tried so many different means to get people to verify my ID, to the point an SR admin said they weren't going to go through 'three pages' of stuff. To boot, there were notes on my SR profile that I never noticed until a trader pointed it out MONTHS after they were stamped to my forehead.

Truth be told, if someone is too stupid to read simple (Or not no simple but visible and posted) instructions, failure to do so, puts the blame and responsibility solely on the dummy that gets 'rekt' in the first place. I've had to date, many, many, MANY traders interact with me without bothering to check my ID on SteamRep. Taking the trader's word for things seems to be so easy and effortless, I'm not surprised people sitll get scammed by 'me' to this day.

A thousand other plans can be tried and they will fail. Most common excuse as of late that I've seen is people believing the walls of '+rep' on their profile, the deal that is 'too good' (Minus the to be true part), the fact they don't know what SteamRep is or exists, and finally, being coaxed by their trader.

You should however, report the impersonator you had, by both a scam report, and navitaging to his profile n mashing the Report Violation button and say he's posing as you.
  3. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    The problem is indeed the trader itself, not wanting to put ANY effort in securing his own trade. That coined the "need" for MM's, for then they can let the MM do the work, while the common sense is that they are actually to insure that items will be traded after paypal is done or vv.
    Unfortunately, that all means that every trader will be scammed at least once. and if they don't learn their lessons then, they will be scammed again.

one can throw a lot to it, but we got guides and general discussions here, and ppl don't read them enough (which is evident with the 50+ reports we get everyday)
    Wrath likes this.