1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

is it possible to be..

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Meteor™, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Meteor™

Meteor™ Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:21162826
    Is it possible to be reported to the police for someone scamming a virtual item such as tf2 item, with no Paypal money involved?
  2. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Depends on your local laws. As Items are property, in most western countries its a yes. However, we heard of ppl actually doing it, but never heard any first hand or results from that, and if there was, we would love to hear any results from it.

Most times it will end up to be neglected, and nothing happens with them...

Which makes me wonder, if one could successfully claim insurance for property theft with it... if so, then those insurance companies would push police to do stuff bout it.
  3. Meteor™

Steam:
    Alright, thanks man, just wondering I read some stories on the internet haha was just interested. In the UK it is not possible to be charged and I don't think steam has insurance on virtual items..
  4. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    I mean your insurance company for your stuff in your house... depends if that covers virtual collections, items etc.
  5. Meteor™

Steam:
    Yeah dunno really I mean like I've been threatened.. soo dunno what to do.
  6. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    Tio José das Vacas likes this.
  7. Meteor™

Steam:
    So could someone report to the police in new york and it trace back to say like the guys address? How does that work? And that link, wow!
  8. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    If its in your own country / state in the USA that the other resides, yes. But you have to understand that you will have to work it too.

- Police report of stolen stuff
    - Needs to know what account.
    - Needs to contact valve, and get a court order to release IP's of that account.
    - Needs to find who owns those IP's, and contact these parties (Internet Service Providers etc) to find what the home addresses are.
    - Then you could maybe file a civil suit for your damages etc.

That all really depends on how things work in your country regarding the laws you try to leverage.
    SIVARTZ likes this.
  9. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    You can take anyone from anywhere to small claims court...just gotta pay the fee but those fee's normally get passed on to who you are trying to recover funds from.
  10. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    He's from the UK... and he's trying to find out if the person he hung to dry can get him in legal trouble.

Hmm, Hong Kong as a former colony of the UK should have excellent interchanging law system between the two.