1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Is my ban false

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Derp 6, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Derp 6

Derp 6 Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:91246531
    Well i made an appeal. And there im mostly apologizing for impersonating a middleman called Alias. But am i even supposed to be banned? Should i apologize or defend myself? So, i done some research about steamrep. They clearly say that you can get banned for scamming or frauds. And, i didnt do any of these things. Did i have direct victims? No. Was i attempting to scam? No. Nowhere does it say that if you impersonate without commiting scams that you get banned. I have looked at alot of appeals. And i didnt see a single appeal where someone got banned without scamming. Idk im just asking for advice mainly. I dont want to cry about this or anything. So what do you think about this? If you have time reply. Btw im not interested in trading anymore. But i dont want to be considered a scammer. God damn i even made a group for giveaways which hit 150 members.. But i left it because i have nothing to give anymore. Ty anyway for reading this.
  2. Salmon

Salmon Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:21003377
    Impersonation is intent to scam.

Just because cops stop a bank robber before he runs off with the money does not me he is not a bank robber.
    Hitman Sparky and a Gentleman like this.
  3. a Gentleman

a Gentleman SteamRep Moderator Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:25990581
    Your interpretation of SteamRep's marking guidelines < Moderator's interpretation of SteamRep's marking guidelines.
    Hitman Sparky and Salmon like this.
  4. Roudydogg1

Roudydogg1 SteamRep Admin Friend Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:58227918
    To be fair, that doesnt sound to me like a fair comparison because cops don't go around stabbing people like me because I MAY be a bank robber.
  5. Derp 6

Steam:
    They dont know if i was going to scam or not. I honestly think that a warning is REQUIERED, before baning someone instantly for this... I impersonated alot of people and never thought i would get in trouble for it. Like LOLYOU and some dinosower members.. Is my ban like forever? Forever ever? I just want a second chance
  6. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    1. We aren't required to "warn" anybody. The only warning we give is when our rule "trading with scammers" has been broken a first time by somebody, that we issue a warning.
    2. Impersonation of a green tagged SteamRep admin or Partner admin or MM is a offense, that is instantly banned for. This because all those impersonators are making life very difficult for SR and Partner admins, for it creates false reports by the victims of the impersonations to Valve about their accounts. We often have a lot of issues for these victims really believe they traded with the real one. Only when given VERY specific instructions to them they find out its a different account (if they aren't too stubborn to admit to it). These impersonators have made so much damage with scammers, that there is NO EXCUSE for it. Hence we ban those on sight. Even if these accounts where not (yet) used in a scam, the only reason to impersonate is to scam.

Often they put up a defense of "I was only trolling" or some alike... but to troll someone, that person should KNOW they where "trolling" to not report you, but that doesn't protect you that others saw your impersonation and DIDN'T get that you where "trolling", especially if that is a targeted victim. And that kills that defense.

We have had the rule to ban those on sight for as long as SteamRep is around. And even before, those where listed in the scammer DB threads before SteamRep came into existence. There is simply no excuse for it. Yes, we do exceptions on this. We had a Partner admin that had as nickname "Aces", that nickname was way too common to instantly ban for, so those impersonators had to have more then just the nickname and avatar (he had a pretty common avatar with a ace) and some other stuff, like matching profile, scam attempt report etc.

You can complain what you want, but this thread isn't a appeal, and therefore this thread will not get you unbanned.
  7. Derp 6

Steam:
    Im not complaining i get it. I know this isnt a appeal, its supposed to be tips for my real one.. Thx for reply, im just wondering if this ban is permanent or not
  8. Salmon

Salmon Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:21003377
    The big tips of things to not claim as a defense on an appeal:

1) Claim you were just joking around/didn't mean it/were trolling
    2) Claim it was your sibling/parent/friend/poltergeist
    3) Claim account was hijacked if you do not have steam support tickets to back it up (especially if your ban was for something other than phishing)

Those are a guaranteed way to have your appeal go nowhere.
  9. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    I'd almost put that in the appeal tips... but its too obvious. For it all comes down really to tip #1 from it. Its the most broken rule in the appeals, hence its tip #1. (and #2)
    Roudydogg1 likes this.