1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

is there a way to stay logged in after an IP change?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Nebras, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Nebras

Nebras New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:92811415
    so this is not a question related to trading rather than a question about the forum itself
    my IP changes many times every day for security reasons, I also use VPN sometimes, each time it happens, I'll have to log back in and it really gets annoying over time,
    I have enough experience with XenForo to know that this does not happen by default, so I don't know how it happens here, is there a way to disable that?, maybe just for my account?
  2. TFD_Industries™

TFD_Industries™ Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:23416765
    Do you log in via Steam?
  3. Nebras

Nebras New User

Steam:
    yes I do
  4. TFD_Industries™

TFD_Industries™ Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:23416765
    Try creating a password and logging in the forum without Steam API Authentication.
    Nebras likes this.
  5. Nebras

Nebras New User

Steam:
    will try, thanks for you response :)
  6. Enstage

Enstage SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52569926
    He's saying that because using a username + password sets a longer cookie. Using sign in through Steam sets one that only lasts for single session (addon limitation).

It shouldn't have anything to do with IP, but it's impossible for me to tell since XenForo allows customization if these settings/functions.

When you login with a username + password, remember to check the "Stay Logged In" button.
  7. Nebras

Nebras New User

Steam:
    That only happens if you haven't set a user/pass and only using steam for authentication, if you have, XenForo will set a cookie tied to your SteamRep account not Steam account even if you use Steam for authentication, I had an email/pass set up earlier, trying to use "stay logged in" now
  8. Enstage

Steam:
    ...what only happens when you don't have a username + password...? Logging in with a username + password and checking the box sets a long lasting cookie, logging in with Steam sets a short one; that's all I'm saying. I think you misunderstood me.

Read this, a discussion on this topic from a few weeks ago: http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/allow-for-a-persistent-login-cookie.126371/
  9. Nebras

Nebras New User

Steam:
    Yes I think I did, but the session id isn't supposed to expire that fast, I had it lasting for days at the very least on our forums
  10. Enstage

Steam:
    Cookies can be set for a few seconds all the way up to a few months; it's a configurable option that I believe has been "hard coded" into the Steam addon. SR runs an old (and possibly modified) version of the Sign in through Steam addon, so other forums running a more up to date version may be different.
  11. Nebras

Nebras New User

Steam:
    correct, though it should be set for atleast 1 day, thanks for your time.