1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Is this a scam?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by ALm0sT_, May 2, 2016.

1. ALm0sT_

ALm0sT_ New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:140403474
    Someone told me that they are a mod for a betting webiste(roulette) and he showed me that he has to choose winners from the pots. He is offering me to go in and he will make me win and we will share the profit. Did anyone get asked something like that and if so was it a scam.
  2. Enstage

Enstage SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52569926
    Almost definitely a scam! Don't trade with them, check their SR status and if they're not already banned screenshot the chat and report to either SR or a partner community.
  3. ALm0sT_

ALm0sT_ New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:140403474
    Ok thanks Enstage!
  4. Nebras

Nebras New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:92811415
    Yes this is 100% a scam, when you show interest in it, he will then tell you the name of the next winner, so you go watch that jackpot and you see that the winner is actually that name, then he'll rell you to use that website and he'll make you win for a share of what you get, if you do that, you got scammed
    basically he just made that website to scam while just copying another website where those bets you see actually happened in the past, he already knows the names of all the winners, thousands got scammed this way yet it's still not widely known, be careful
  5. Nebras

Nebras New User

Steam:
    I had totally forgotten about this scam, ask him for the website if you still have him, we may be able to find the actual website he's copying results from so you have evidence fore a report,also can an admin/moderator add this to the list of known scams? I can provide more info if needed
  6. Enstage

Steam:
    They usually give the website straight up, the scam then varies a lot from that point onwards, sometimes they try to get you to deposit items into a "bot" linked on the site, sometimes they personally try to take your items.

Either way, screenshot everything, make a report. I think he's got more than enough information now.
    Nebras likes this.
  7. Nebras

Nebras New User

Steam:
    one of the most professional scams I witnessed to be honest
  8. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    Anyone bother to ask him who the user was yet?
    @ALm0sT_ would you mind giving the SteamRep profile block of this user please?

But as most have noted here - this is a very common scam going around as there is a widely used template for this gambling site being transferred all over (haven't found source yet).
  9. Enstage

Steam:
    No point in asking who the user was if he going to make a report, the most important thing when I replied was ensuring he didn't get scammed.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  10. Nebras

Nebras New User

Steam:
    when someone tried to scam me this way I remember the site being an exact copy of csgojackpot.com (except the name ofcourse) with a 10 minutes delay, the site looked familiar so I took a few minutes to note this
  11. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    Always worth asking, he may or may not make a report. I ask this info right off the bat - the user already did the right thing and was SR's primary purpose to educate to the point they thought to inquire first just in case.
  12. Edward.

Edward. SteamRep Admin Donator - Tier V

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:30537130
    Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:30537130
    Well I don't think he is going to make a report, or maybe he forgot to screenshot the chat but as it seems he removed that user from his friends list after Enstage responded.
    Some people really don't care about making a proper report to warn other traders/users and I am noticing this very often nowadays, which is very sad that some people are only thinking about themselves. Most of the time when I encourage these alleged victims to make a proper report on SR or a partner community they either don't have the chat as a crucial evidence or they just don't care. My two cents on this "topic".