1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

I've created a website dedicated to providing information on how to not get scammed.

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Teeird, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Teeird

Teeird New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:44724269
    I'm sorry if posting something like this is not allowed, if so please lock it.

I've created a website dedicated to providing vital information to help new/older traders on how to not get scammed. The website has a guide-like format, so I want to cover as much possible to protect yourself from the many different types of scams out there.

The website is very new, and as time goes on, I will be adding in more guides covering different scams.

Here's the link to the site:
    https://sites.google.com/site/tf2safetyguides/

Here's the steam group page, where I'll be posting announcements on future guides for the site.
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/TF2-SafetyGuides

I've created the website's first guide. How to spot a Hijacker!

This thread would act as a way to get more awareness to the site, as well as suggestions and open criticism. Thank you.
  2. Starburst

Starburst New User

Can I request a guide of how not to be sharked?
    Teeird and Ben like this.
  3. Teeird

Teeird New User

Steam:
    Yes, I had that one in the makings as well.
  4. Mr. Valentine

Mr. Valentine New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:50959178
    I just read your first guide, and if you keep going on this very informative path, these guides will help out a lot of traders from falling into traps.
  5. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    Yeah more info people will come across while searching for help is always good.
  6. Teeird

Teeird New User

Steam:
    I've added another guide to the guide list. Created by Awesome McCoolName. It covers the basics of PayPal trading.
  7. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    You should add some further info re Rep Threads. Remember Profile Rep is next to useless, and people should consider Rep Threads on most sites are NOT as legitimate as SOP, since SOP has decent staff and policies in place.

This is to say that while rep threads on sites like TF2-TRADER and similar are useful for traders, especially since often rules are more flexible than SOP. I encourage users to consider SOP to be the most authoritative source of risk based rep, and should primarily be using SOP for trust purposes.
  8. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

*/me imagines Butane's reaction to this*

ROFLMAO

ps: You can butter up too much at times..
  9. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    Ah good eyes. Edited it to what I meant to say :)
  10. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

now you made a double "not" .....
  11. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    un-notted! Umm, is that even a word?
  12. Teeird

Teeird New User

Steam:
    Hmm yes, I will add more info on it. However I believe all (reputable, SR approved) trading communities have equal legitimacy if you were to create a reputation there. MCT/TF2-T reputation threads shouldn't be accounted as worth less than SOP rep threads.
  13. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    Well, in a sense.

However SOP I believe is more closely monitored with enough staff to keep things properly checked. Many other servers are not able to keep rep threads to similar standards. TF2-TRADER for example had a ton of shitty rep threads, I am in the process of removing 70% of the damn things, and putting everything in order is no small task.

As I said, rep threads on other reputable servers have their place, but I repeat again SOP rep is perhaps the best indicator of rep for traders wanting to gauge who to trade with.