1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Just a question

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Lucky Shot, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Lucky Shot

Lucky Shot New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:48760292
    Hello. I usually buy steam gifts for people and wait for their keys to become tradable, so that I will be able to trade with them. Sometimes, they find a better deal than mine and they delete me, even though we agreed to a deal. OK, it makes me angry, so I put a rule in my profile about that. But there are 2 guys, that recently made me buy a gift for them and told me to wait, either for their keys to become tradable or because there was a steam bug. The first guy just unfriended me and blocked me, without any obvious reason. The other guy doesn't even respond to my messages. Has this ever happened to you? Doesn't it anger you? Can't we prevent this somehow? Do some people find it funny to make other people buy games for them and then delete them? To make it clear, there was NO trade. I didn't give them anything and they didn't give me anything. But they made me bought a game and then ignored me. I don't even understand why and I just don't want to happen to me or anyone else again, because I had a financial loss by buying these games.
  2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    Don't purchase the game till you both are ready to trade at that time vs waiting for keys to become tradable. Pretty easy solution or make them trade you the keys up front. Doing this would be as if a business that needs to order a part for a customer, you make the customer pay for the part FIRST then order the part for them. Still though, I'd just wait and when you are both ready to purchase the game.
  3. Lucky Shot

Lucky Shot New User

Steam:
    Thanks for the answer. Still, how can I be sure that, even if they already have tradable keys, they will send me a trade offer? I mean, these 2 specific guys, maybe just wanted to have fun and told me to buy games for them. Even if they had tradable keys, they would probably do the same thing (wait for me to buy the game, then delete me). And I'm pretty sure that nobody wants to pay up front when there is no obvious reason to do it (for example, because of untradable gift). I wasted about 30 euros to buy their games and I just want to find a permanent solution for this kind of people.
  4. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    I mean I gave you an option at least from my opinion of how to solve it but you shot it down. Make them pay for the game first....wait a few moments for you to purchase it and you select the option that it goes straight to them upon the completion of the purchase. You can just make them wait a few moments with you in chat while you purchase it as a gift to give later..then trade them RIGHT THEN AND THERE as soon as the transaction is complete. You make it sound as if you have to wait days/weeks to do this when you don't. You don't do nothing till you can confirm they can put keys into the trade window.

Outside of explaining all that.. the subject is really outside of what SR is dealing with so you've prob got the best answer you will get here.
  5. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    See it like this:
    - They want game "X" and offer "Y" in item(s) for it.
    - You have to buy the game from the store or trade it from elsewhere or w/e.
    - They trade first the payment or collateral for it. With the Agreement between you and them in screenshots and of the trade history, this becomes fully reportable to SR by them.
    - Only then you proceed to obtain the wanted game you are then obliged to give.
    - You trade the game to them.

This is fully supported via SR. As long as there are screenshots of the chats agreements and trades. Just don't do that with CD keys or Steam wallet activation keys and that crap, for those are not traceable for SR on both sides.

Problem with them not trading collateral or payment for it, is that the trade agreement is not "acted" yet upon (which is to us a final "agree" to conditions from the chat). Yes, you can report them if having the chat and screenshot of the trade history not showing items transferred. But often those chats do not have a "finished" agreement in them, and it can get tricky to mark for those, and as you technically didn't lose anything, or was at risk of that, that also becomes a factor in such a report. For SR doesn't care about WHAT items and their relative worth, or their trade ability for easy selling etc.

And unfortunately, there are also trolls that pull this off on ppl to get the legit people to buy totally worthless games they cannot get rid of unless for a big loss. Just to get those to spend money.
  6. Lucky Shot

Lucky Shot New User

Steam:
    HorseDick: Yeah, I understand. I was just angry about these 2 guys. Anyway, thanks for the help. Steam should somehow ensure that deals will happen after you get to an agreement, but that's obviously impossible. I hope these 2 guys won't annoy anyone else.
    SilentReaper: I suppose you are right too, although that would make my job harder. I suppose that there isn't any other solution. Thank you too.
    In conclusion, these 2 guys were probably trolls and probably just wanted to mock me (which doesn't sound very sane to me). I'll warn my trading friends about them. Have a nice day.
  7. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    I look at it like this.... Person A says I'll buy the car if you (person B) puts a new radio in it. So Person B (You) puts the new radio in the car and then Person A has some kinda issue with either not being able to get the car now or found a better deal. Unless a contract is signed stating this you don't have grounds to stand on thus where a trade agreement SCREEN SHOT or something documenting the process is made then YES this is covered as what Reaper said.

It all revolves around sustaining documentation... document, document document.
  8. Lucky Shot

Lucky Shot New User

Steam:
    Actually, the guy that unfriended me and blocked me, just answered in his trade post, where I was accusing him for making me buy a gift unreasonably, and apologized. He also said that he has severe social anxiety and that's why he unfriended me and blocked me. o_O
  9. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    lol, not living up to his anxiety, is he? for now he has more.
  10. Lucky Shot

Lucky Shot New User

Steam:
    Hahaha. xD I don't know if he's telling the truth or lying, but I just advised him to buy his own games and stop trading. At least, 2 guys supported me in his trade post. Maybe, that's why he apologized. He probably got afraid.
  11. Lucky Shot

Lucky Shot New User

Steam:
    Ok, this happened again. I talked to a guy who wanted Hotline Miami 2, we agreed to a deal, and then he deleted me. We didn't trade anything, because he told me to wait until his keys will become tradable. I wrote a comment on his wall asking why he deleted me and then he deleted my comment. SilentReaper told me already, but just to be sure, can I write a report for him?
  12. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    Did you get any pre-payment? ie: collateral.
    If the agreement is fully in chat and in screenshots, you might. Really depends. For as he told you to "wait" for his keys to become tradable, that is about the same as saying: we'll negotiate later further.
  13. Lucky Shot

Lucky Shot New User

Steam:
    No, I didn't get any payment. I have a screenshot of our discussion. He said ok and to wait until 5th of March. Here's the screenshot.

Attached Files:

• 1.GIF
      1.GIF
      File size:
      485 KB
      Views:
  14. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    that "Okk" is too grey, for it can also mean "understood" in this occasion... I'd suggest to stop seeking the boundaries.
  15. Lucky Shot

Lucky Shot New User

Steam:
    Hmm, ok then.