1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Keeping all copies of a 4 pack not a scam when user pays collateral?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by HunterPT, Jul 27, 2014.

1. HunterPT

HunterPT New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:15399966
    Hi, I recently got (I believe) scammed and reported it here http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/report-76561198049424190-steam-steam-games.71573/ however this is not why I'm making this post.
    I recently saw that the user that I had reported was selling the copy that was left on tf2outpost, so I reported it by saying the following:

"This user is selling a copy of speedrunners which he got by scamming me http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/report-76561198049424190-steam-steam-games.71573/ out of a 4-pack."

and I got this answer:

" sirplok 1 day ago
    It's not a scam. You named the price of the collateral and I assume he paid it. The collat is there to ensure you will be fine either way, if you ask for less than what the 4-pack is worth, people will take advantage of it.

We will await the outcome of the SR report, they probably will come to the same conclusion, but if he gets tagged, we will ban him as well."

Now my question is this situation not a scam because the user gave the collateral, despite him not complying with what was agreed beforehand?

Thank you.
  2. lvlingsheng

lvlingsheng New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:43370551
    Am I being banned?
  3. Penguin The Fluffy

Penguin The Fluffy Articus Birdicus Defenderus Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:10455403
    If the user you traded with had a trade agreement with you and did not honor the agreement, then he scammed you.

It does not matter if you had collateral to make up for the price, if that was not what was meant to be traded for and was not part of the original agreement then he deliberately defrauded you.

You are Banned by D2T, though I am not seeing how that is relevant to this thread unless you are on an alt account of the one he is questioning about.
  4. HunterPT

HunterPT New User

Steam:
    Hi, thank you very much for the info, I was under similar impressions, but having a TF2outpost admin saying other wise makes one wonder. So hopefully they will ban him when/if the scammer is found guild.

Once again thank you for the help.
  5. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    A scam is not upholding a trading agreement to us.

Party "A" agrees to trade item "X" for party "B:" 's item "Y". Elaboration with collateral to minimize risk has no influence on that, as long as its fully documented.

Hell, had once that someone gave a pisspants bill's instead of a white bills, and that trader refused to correct his "mistake", the victim contacted me and had all proof needed, I had to tell the guy that he had to uphold the agreement or get marked. The more specific you settle the deal in chat before actually trading, the better. The deal is all we need to see, all the craptalk before and after isn't important.

Proof consists of:
    - Trade agreement in chat between you and the other party
    - Trade history from steam
    - optional payment information on various e-money systems.
    You Are The One likes this.
  6. HunterPT

HunterPT New User

Steam:
    Ok, thank you glad to see I was in the right here, also thanks for detailing what the proof needs to be, since I have the pics of the chat where we agreed on the collateral and the pics of the trade history, plus the pic of the chat shows that the user didn't accept the following trade request (10 minutes after we had already made the first trade) and removed me after I requested to trade, the screens also show the user playing the game while showing as offline to me, so hopefully there is enough evidence there to get the report accepted (if not I took more screenshots).

Thank you.
    Tio José das Vacas likes this.