1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Matched Donations

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by -hg- COBALT, Feb 14, 2015.

1. -hg- COBALT

-hg- COBALT New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:42037753
    IS it possible for employers to match donations to SteamRep, as you are a non-profit foundation?
  2. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Hmm, you mean as in that the employer matches up with donations of that certain individual(s), a group or such does to SR, in effect doubling it. Interesting question. I'm not certain on what the employer(s) would need to know about what the employee's donated etc.

We don't like to show on our site real world information about people, so we would have to set up something for this that the information itself would not be accessible to anyone else. We do have a Donator subforum, that is accessible for Donators (and friend/partner/sr admins), which is still a bit too public for my liking for such.

I'm assigning Mattie to this thread, for he might know more about this etc.
  3. -hg- COBALT

-hg- COBALT New User

Steam:
    In most cases employees can submit donation matching requests through their corporation's HR department. I don't think it would necessarily require a change to the privacy settings on the current profile setup, the option could be added to the actual donation page, rather then to the forums themselves. If its possible, SteamRep could potentially pull in more donations in total after employer matching, usually 1:1.
  4. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    The donation request will then be subtracted from the monthly wage I guess, and matched by the employer. One issue might then be that donator tags cannot be linked to a Steam Profile.

There where plans to implement to be able to donate for someone else, which may be expanded with this.
  5. -hg- COBALT

-hg- COBALT New User

Steam:
    Usually matched donations aren't subtracted from wages, just as an added donation from the company itself. As OFPF is a non-profit, a donation to the foundation wouldn't have to be linked to a Steam account. Perhaps just add on to the current donation system by awarding the donator tier to their SteamRep profile and forum profile based on the amount donated by the individual, and not listing the matched amount at all in an effort to preserve privacy?
  6. -hg- COBALT

-hg- COBALT New User

Steam:
    Also, any update on the IRC 501(c)(3) filing? It seems most employer matching programs allow matching to registered 501(c)(3) public charities.

For the donation matching interface itself, perhaps use a third-party site to handle those? Such as https://doublethedonation.com/
  7. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    I'm leaving the rest to Mattie, for I'm not doing the financials and its policies.
  8. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    We're working on the 501c3 filing, and hope to have it filed this month. Most employers won't match donations until after 501c3 approval which could take many months. We'll announce when we hit that milestone. Thanks a lot for thinking of us, though.
  9. -hg- COBALT

-hg- COBALT New User

Steam:
    Hope it all goes well, and thanks,