1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

New steam chat system

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by ☆Odyssey☆, Sep 19, 2014.

1. ☆Odyssey☆

☆Odyssey☆ New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:50548133
    New steam chat system to be more successful to get all information what you need to get chat log screen and etc.
    I made this bc i have this problem!

Chat history must be save at steam dir with secure code reasons!

Attached Files:

2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    what problem? Are you running a steam beta?
  3. ☆Odyssey☆

☆Odyssey☆ New User

Steam:
    Its idea for steam bc some people need that to proof evidences by steam chat log
    And if people close?! Its idea to make CHAT HISTORY to make chat log screen!
  4. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    People have been asking/complaining to valve about this for a decade now, wishful thinking at this point.
    Wrath likes this.
  5. ☆Odyssey☆

☆Odyssey☆ New User

Steam:
    But why they just dont do that? Its easy to make this for sure and security question is easy to solve!
  6. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Valve does probably not want to be a tool for parents to check their kids action on steam. Steam is imo intended as a gaming / social environment, with the least lasting effects locally. Don't like comments? delete 'm. Don't want to see somebody anymore: block/remove 'm.
    If you want to keep your conversations, you will have to do so yourself.

The chat bits that are shown when chatting again with somebody are afaik stored in the steam cloud of that account or something. Logging it completely would mean central storage, instead of the prettied up IRC client with no features for their users.
    Wrath likes this.
  7. Wrath

Wrath New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:30129880
    I have to use Pastebin/Dropbox/Notepad to save conversations. Would be far easier if Steam would do it. They killed /me. They must have no intention of making the social environment grow and prosper.

'Valve issues.'
  8. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49222635
    So that image is fake?

You got my hopes up, thought valve added a better history system.
    It doesn't need to be perma, but it should save at least the last 100 lines of chat history (Not per person, but in general)
  9. SIVARTZ

SIVARTZ Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:46928737
    It would be nice if they implemented such a backup of your chat logs and let the client have the backup in their Steam directory. Steam wouldnt have to backup anything. It would be on the client side. Archive the past 7 days of each chat you might have with any one given person. Or at least give that option during the Steam install.
    Tio José das Vacas likes this.
  10. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    problem is, those chats would then be stored locally, and we would then not be able to accept such logs, for those files can be edited.
  11. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    Since this thread is confusing a few users due to misleading title/first post (being a mockup) and is proposing nothing that was not proposed a decade ago, archiving.

If you want to debate how a chat history system would function, please make a new thread.