1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Not sure if scammer...

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Peek_A_Boo, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Peek_A_Boo

Peek_A_Boo New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:15619243
    Hi, I'm currently in a trade with a person but not sure if i should complete the trade. he wants my two unusuals but is unwilling to do the trade trade instead he asked me if i know a person that would "check" my unusuals. this seems fishy so any advice is appreciated.

chat 1
    chat 2
  2. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    Yes, it's a popular scam. Can you get me a link to the profile of the person asking that?
  3. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
  4. Peek_A_Boo

Peek_A_Boo New User

Steam:
  5. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    • He gets you to pick a friend
    • He gets you to give the item to your friend to hold
    • He has an alternate Steam account that is impersonating you
    • He cancels the deal (or pretends to do so with your friend)
    • He uses his fake account that looks like you to trick your poor friend into "returning" the items to his fake account. (Using group chat and/or an existing profile on that friend's friends list.)
    • Your poor friend feels like an idiot for giving your items to an impersonator :(
    Wrath likes this.
  6. Peek_A_Boo

Peek_A_Boo New User

Steam:
    wow, that's shady. thanks for the help.
  7. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    images are gone, could you upload them to this forum please? in lower right you find a button to upload a file when making a reply.
  8. Gstar

Gstar New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:56264337
    A variation of that that happened to me was , asks me for trusted friend > add's his alt account with same name/image as my friend into a group chat. Alt sends trade request.
  9. Wrath

Wrath New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:30129880
    Any chance these can be linked somewhere on a list of common/current scam trends? Been running into it so much, it hurts.