1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Partner Community Vouch Requirement

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Enstage, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Enstage

Enstage SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52569926
    As everyone knows, SteamRep requires all Moderator Applications to receive a vouch from a SteamRep staff member or a partner community admin, unless the applicant is a staff member of a friend or partner community themselves.

As everyone also knows SteamRep has a godly backlog of reports and appeals, so bad that some reports (if not most) go unreviewed for years at a time. I also just want to say I completely understand the situation and am not creating another rage thread like some others have... Because of this backlog, SteamRep obviously needs staff members.

Now onto my main point, I believe the vouch requirement is hindering the amount of good people applying. Lets take myself for example (I said example, don't hate on me pls, lets just imagine for a second I would be a perfect applicant for the example); lets say I wanted to apply, it is obvious that I am going to get declined because no one will vouch for me, nor do I have time to and gain the trust of a partner community admin and I can't just ask them to for no reason either.

This leaves a very small group of people who can even think about applying, and most of those people are busy moderating their communities!

Can I suggest something I do on my community (most likely won't be applicable here, but I'll mention it anyway): I only require a vouch from one of our partner's admins for a moderator application if the person applying has no verifiable administration experience.

Basically, what I'm saying, you have an army of amazingly good applicants for the position, with their application all ready to post, but they know they won't get a vouch, so they are not posting them.

Just trying to help out, don't hammer me lmao
    Oh, and sorry for the wall of horribly formatted and grammatically incorrect text.

~ Enstage
  2. Ninja Otter With A Taco

Ninja Otter With A Taco Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:35378805
    The experience needed to handle SR reports is different to the experience needed to admin a server. One of the reasons why Partner admins don't need a vouch, the very few of the partner admins that apply for mod positions, handle scam reports from their own communities, and therefore have experience, but any random admin off a trade server generally won't know the best way to handle reports, and would be inexperienced in this, which links back to your suggestion of:
    Majority of people that have the right admin experience are partner admins, therefore they don't need a vouch. But any random admin from a server doesn't have the right experience so they need a vouch.

Think of it like this: Would you trust a guy whose only admined his friend's MC server as an admin for your TF2 server without having one of your admins vouch for him?
    Hitman Sparky likes this.
  3. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    The vouch is pretty important, but we have I believe once skipped the requirement. Its not the holy grail, but it helps out tremendously.
  4. Eoj Nawoh

Eoj Nawoh Retired Staff Partner Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:40091868
    I would advise getting to know some of them, Admins as a whole do a lot of communication between communities and it's beneficial to have friends who admin/own communities. And as far as things go, if you don't really have time to get to know fellow community admins, you may not exactly have time for SR either.
  5. Roudydogg1

Roudydogg1 SteamRep Admin Friend Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:58227918
    Could you please clarify what you mean by this? I read it and it sounds an awful lot like youre saying that people who aren't partner admins, don't handle scam reports from their own communities and dont know how to deal with fraud, meanwhile partner admins do for no particular reason other than that they are partner admins?

Thanks.
  6. Roudydogg1

SteamRep Admin:
    Just to piggyback from my last post, I know quite a few people who would without a doubt have the necessary experience for such a job, who haven't yet or plan not to apply for a partnership with SR. If you get what I'm trying to say here.
  7. Ninja Otter With A Taco

Ninja Otter With A Taco Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:35378805
    I did say the majority of people, obviously there are exceptions like several of the people who try to help with reports. But its mainly a case of, normal traders won't have the same experience when it comes to scam reports as a Partner admin. But yeah my first reply was written very late last night when I was extremely tired to I wouldn't be surprised if there are mistakes
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  8. Enstage

Steam:
    Maybe just make it recommended that you get one, rather than required then?
  9. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    The exception was for someone that was actually doing sane replies on reports to get those reporters to provide correct evidence, helping them out etc., over a prolonged period. Which meant that the admin that encountered these replies noticed and over time it meant a vouch. Get noticed in a positive way, and in the long run it will end up in a vouch.
  10. Roudydogg1

SteamRep Admin:
    Fair enough, thanks for clarifying!
  11. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    Strongly recommended but not required sounds good.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  12. WarNev3rChanges

WarNev3rChanges New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:46250366
    Bold mine - obviously.

This is the line that bothers me. If someone didn't have the time to put in to a community that they cared about, they how on earth would they have the time for SR duties?
  13. Enstage

Steam:
    I knew when I wrote that line someone would eventually bring it up. It was an example, I'm not applying am I?

However, in reality I personally do have time for friendships, what I was aiming at is the fact that I would never add a community admin and attempt to befriend them merely for the purpose of a vouch. I see that as just using them because of their status; which goes against my ethical values. This also goes for just showing up to a random partner community and helping out only because I want a vouch.

I obviously mis-worded/did not correctly express my point of view, I hope this clarifies what I meant.
    WarNev3rChanges and Roudydogg1 like this.
  14. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    You don't have to befriend them personally to get noticed in a positive way. getting active on a community, be a positive influence, helping ppl with issues etc.

And then not "helping" from bad to worse for "thinking" one knows how things should be done, but actually found out by reading about it and understand the reasoning behind it etc.
  15. Eoj Nawoh

SteamRep Admin:
    To reiterate SilentReaper, it is a great idea to find a Partner community and help out. And you can befriend community admins for more than just a vouch. Some of us enjoy having friends, so you can add us for our sparkling personalities*. Overall, there's many admins who are happy accept adds and just get to know people. I personally am fine with people adding me. If you have questions, just want to talk, that is fine with me, as long as you understand we have lives/are busy sometimes and that asking us a thousand times to buy a lime painted craft hat is not the top of the priority list.

*Sparkling personalities may be an overestimate.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  16. Inu

Inu TF2Bazaar Owner Retired Staff Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:62120987
    I heard YATO loves buying lime painted craft hats. Quick, everyone add him!
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  17. Eoj Nawoh

SteamRep Admin:
    Have you seen that Justin Bieber avatar? You've sent them all to their death.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  18. Inu

Steam:
    It's okay, according to Reddit we are all corrupt so I have no morale anymore.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  19. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    Should change your signature then, to "... and also their morally deprived mascot "
  20. Inu

Steam:
    Thanks for my new identity!