1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Q&A with Valve's Steam Support - Ask your questions here!

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by HelenAngel, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XAKEP007

XAKEP007 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:38434110
    Valve is going to deal with it as "illegal" things in TF2? Duped Max's Head 1 and 7 lvl, Buds, Vintage Scrap, Vintage Bill's Hat, Bintage Lubricus Lid and etc, as all who have received them are at the moment the owners of the most expensive and rare items in the game, and all of them received nelegealnym way cloning things , breaking the game and etc.
  2. Fiskie

Fiskie tf2bazaar founder Partner Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:26166446
    Which Pokémon generation is best generation?
  3. Rorschach

Rorschach New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:29040631
    3rd/5th Generation
  4. BlackStorm

BlackStorm New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:42863128
    i want to ask a question: How do you know that the keys are fradulent keys or not? i got delete 4 buds because of this problem
    thanks between
  5. KrystalGamer

KrystalGamer New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:45985608
    My questions:

I heard MovieMaking cfg for CS:S can cause you VAC BAN is this true? or i need to turn off my iternet all time to record a gameplay?
    What's the point of the Steam Rating 10, 9.1 , 4.4...?

6. Markers

Markers New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:35807771
  7. (ACE)Frost

(ACE)Frost New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:49743596
    Thanks for making this.
    Do we have a chance of getting our items back after your investigation is complete?
    if not , why and why not?
  8. I.Jojo

I.Jojo New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:35808336
    Hello Derrick, I am in a serious situation presently and would really love it if you can shed some light in this matter.

Late September last year my account was restricted for trading with someone who acquired his items by fraudulent means. I am guessing he either bought keys from steam shop with a stolen credit card or he highjacked some account and traded me those items. I can only guess what he did because the whole situation was not made clear to me by steam support. Of course i had no idea about the origins of those items and it is virtually impossible for me or for anyone to know about such stuff. The first steam support staff who saw my ticket outright accused me of being the ACTUAL criminal and pasted the almighty "Unfortunately, we will be unable to assist you further with this issue." phrase. I didn't give up and made another ticket and the nice lady on the other side saw the mistake and unrestricted my account. She also gave me some tip about how to avoid trading with such suspicious accounts.

Since then i have been immensely careful about with whom i trade with.

Fast forward to mid January and i see my account restricted again. I have not done any outrageous trades in which i would buy the stuff from much lower than the current market price. Neither did i trade with any new throwaway accounts. As i said, i have been extremely careful while trading items lately. I made a ticket to steam support and to my surprise their response was this "Your account has been permanently disabled as you have been previously warned to not accept Steam gifts and items from unknown sources." From their answer it is clear that they know i am innocent just like the last time. But since it's my second time, they are banning me PERMANENTLY.

Now my questions are these :

1. Does Valve assume that when an item is highjacked or gotten by fraudulent means, everyone who had that item in their backpack for any amount of time is an offender? Imagine this scenario. A is a scammer, he has a 6 months old Steam Account, 30 games in inventory and a stolen credit card. He buys Mann. Co. Supply Crate Keys with that credit card and then sells/trades those keys to someone(say B) who naturally has no idea about the origins of the keys. Obviously A is selling/trading those keys to him at the normal market value. Will B have any reason to suspect A? And will B be branded as a scammer of fraudulent items too?

2. Is it a thumb rule for steam support to permanently ban someone if he has his account restricted twice?

3. If the answer to the above question is Yes then can you tell me why i found many people during past 2 weeks who had their accounts restricted twice, thrice and even more times and were still given their account back? One of those people even posted in this thread ! They all have very similar cases to mine.

4. If Valve really permanently bans someone for a Second Strike, then why is it not made clearer to us? Losing an account is a serious matter, i would like to think.

Naturally i can not ask all these in a steam support ticket. So i would really love it if you answer them for me here.

Thanks in advance.
  9. Penitent Exile

Penitent Exile New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:4344088
    I'm not sure if it's already been asked...

1) Team Fortress is flooded with items because the game loses popularity and also because off mass idlers (the reason metal loses value as all the hats). In Dota you provided player with a chance of getting rare item when deleting usual item. Do you plan to deal with item overflow in TF? If yes - how?
    2) It really is strange, that item qualities are just cosmetic with the exception of unusual and strange quality. For example, I'm sure more people would pre-order games if genuine items were more than just green-colored. Do you plan to make at least some IN-GAME difference between items? Well, at least change color of kill icon for different qualities or diversify the items somehow else?
  10. Crabislav ☂

Crabislav ☂ New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:19202144
    1. I second this. I've been scammed by one guy, he got trade banned for 1 week. He was caught scamming people at least twice and trade banned for a week again. It's just not fair. Scammer just keeps doing his job, he gets huge profit selling stolen items yet steam support doesn't care. They keep scamming again and again.

2. I've noticed that steam support barely looks into people's cases regarding stolen items. For example, my friend's account ( http://steamcommunity.com/id/Atomic-Potato/ ) got hacked and he lost over $1000 in TF2 items, his backpack was completely stolen. He opened 4 cases regarding hijacked account and the items he lost, all response he received every time was "You should be more careful while trading with others. We are unable to assist you any further.". What is this? How can you explain this? I'm sorry if i sound rude but I'm also a victim and I'm totally disappointed in steam support service these days. The service regarding in-game items that steam support provides can be called a "come-off", nothing else. I do understand that you might have lost your items to the scammer when you sent him your items first and he ran away without paying money. Victim does not get his items back via support (unfair, but let it be so, even though I was scammed of my item worth almost $200) but scammer must be trade banned FOREVER. Once a criminal - always a criminal. However, when someone's loses access to his account and his items are stolen, they MUST be returned. Of course, it's easier to say "You should be more careful while trading with others. We are unable to assist you any further." but this is not how steam support should work.

Thanks for your time.
    -very frustrated Steam sustomer.
  11. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

1. He probably cannot go into individual cases.
    2. you didn't supply a ticket-ID.
  12. [OBC] Oliver. ¤{Norway}¤

[OBC] Oliver. ¤{Norway}¤ New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:4099893
    I really miss ingame trading in TF2. Is that ever gonna come back? The beta trade system is very slow, and doesnt work properly at all sometimes. I remember in the good old days it was so much easier and faster to trade with the ingame trade system?

Thanks.

[OBC] Oliver
  13. ViRaGisTe

ViRaGisTe New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:33820496
    Any project for L4D3 ?
  14. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Its not coming back for obvious reasons:
    - non-TF2 items wont be able to be traded within TF2, or all BP icons for all games and all other games must be included in TF2.... too much probably.
    - Difficulty in securing 2 different trade systems is always a lot higher then having only 1.
  15. RedЯuM

RedЯuM New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:2457324
    Gift wrap sells for $1.99 in the Mann Co Store. Do you think Valve would consider selling "ungift" wrap? This would be something that would remove the gift tag placed on an item.
  16. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Probably would cost $ 199,-
  17. T3RM1N4T0R :D

T3RM1N4T0R :D New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:26463126
    Is it really possible to fix the "Validating steam files" everytime we want to play TF2 ?
  18. Crabislav ☂

Crabislav ☂ New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:19202144
    thank god, that gift tag on my sniper rifle is so annoying
  19. Scooty Puff Jr.

Scooty Puff Jr. New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:34050552
    I've had this glitch and I uninstalled and reinstalled the game and I haven't had the issue for months since.
    T3RM1N4T0R :D likes this.
  20. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

uninstalling the game would only delete the GCF files, not the custom content or the configuration. That won't help a thing. Might be that it resetted the AppUpdateStats.blob file for the game, and by that the redownload "repaired" the blob, but its faster to just delete the blob and verify the GCF, which will prevent that you have to redownload 12 GB for the game.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.