1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Question...

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Jackladin, May 3, 2016.

1. Jackladin

Jackladin New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:54809500
    If someone were to bring a completely new thing to TF2, which required a lot of trust in order to work and if that trust were to be broken a punishment would be needed, how would one get this associated with SteamRep (or FoG)? Take brokering for example; when that was first brought into TF2, you would've had to ban anyone who scammed someone through brokering, but how did the people brokering their items get confirmation that if they were scammed, they would be banned? So if someone brought a fresh idea into TF2 that needs a lot of trust (like brokering), and that trust was broken, would they get banned here? I'm hesitant to reveal the idea that I have in mind because it won't be a while until I'm able to execute it (what with my Backpack.tf ban and having to pay people back and s✿✿✿... It's all a bit out-of-hand), but I just wanted to know so I'm not telling people the idea if I can't even make it a thing in the future.

Sorry for the wall of text, I hope to receive an answer soon!
    With regards, Jack.
  2. Salmon

Salmon Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:21003377
    What is the new thing?
  3. Enstage

Enstage SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52569926
    You have a slightly wrong idea of how this works, a scam is a broken trade agreement, people get tagged for breaking trade agreements. If you introduce some "new thing" and people get scammed through a broken trade agreement, they will be able to get marked. There are some instances where it can be said there is enough intent to ban without the trade agreement even being broken (e.g. impersonators).

Do what Salmon said and post the "new thing" so we can give you a better idea.
  4. Enstage

Steam:
    Well we can't help you much then.
  5. Jackladin

Jackladin New User

Steam:
    If that's the case, then my question is answered. I'm trying to leave this idea unrevealed as it could never become a thing. It also needs a lot of thought put into it as it's literally just an idea as of now. Perhaps it will arise sooner or later, I'm not sure. Keep your ears out for any word.
  6. Enstage

Steam:
    I'm really hoping its not an automated middleman service... again

Either way, scammers will usually get marked, and SteamRep can easily change policies/add to the list of scams at any time, it shouldn't be an issue.
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  7. Jackladin

Jackladin New User

Steam:
    ;)))
  8. Inu

Inu TF2Bazaar Owner Retired Staff Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:62120987
    If you are thinking of doing it. Don't.
    Edward. and Enstage like this.
  9. Salmon

Salmon Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:21003377
    Automated middlemen will never work.

http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/a-hypothetical-escrow-service.129279/ that design is the closest that would come to working and I'm still pretty sure I haven't thought of enough things to actually make it viable. That design is basically a gamble that scammers/trolls won't invest $$$ to make $$$ which is a flawed premise.
  10. Enstage

Steam:
    I asked him over steam comments, he's not doing an automated middleman service.
    Last edited: May 4, 2016
  11. Nebras

Nebras New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:92811415
    Well, I had an experiment with automated middlemen, we had it to just display the item history, information about the item and reputation about both traders, we had this idea to prevent quickswitching, trading with scammers and duplicated items and it was still a harsh, we had plans to extend it to money trades and such but we had to close the whole site, though I'm happy we didn't do it because it will never work and only bring us trouble
  12. Jackladin

Jackladin New User

Steam:
    It's far from an automated middleman service, I can assure you.