1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Receiving Gifts or Donations From Marked Users

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Toy Zeppelin, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Toy Zeppelin

Toy Zeppelin New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:40273483
    Hello SteamRep. I understand that trading with marked users at all is generally frowned upon by the community. However, after reviewing the Muselk case on Fortress of Gamers (http://forums.f-o-g.eu/threads/7902-76561198050006597-muselk.html) I realize that the ruling on those who receive items from marked users without giving items to them are a sort of grey area.

If you receive items from a marked user, and can provide sufficient proof that you did not exchange items, and there was no PayPal transactions involved, will that user be marked for their actions?
  2. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    I cannot give you a blanket statement on your question at this time, but I will try give you some insight and context.

Fortress of Gamers (FoG) cases do not establish precedent for SteamRep decisions. They are a partner community with the ability to issue their own tags in our database, which are similar to but distinct from SteamRep tags. The API allows communities to trust or distrust individual communities as they see fit, and the link in the tag will point back the community that tagged them. SteamRep admins are not involved with FoG cases, and in the majority of the cases we are not aware of what goes on at that community. I personally don't even have access to FoG's private evidence. For questions pertaining to FoG tags, we recommend you ask on their website.

SteamRep itself very rarely investigates or gets involved in cases of trades with scammers, and would probably not get involved without a good reason. If no extenuating circumstances arose, per our FAQ, you'd either receive a warning from a SteamRep admin, or a CAUTION tag (if SteamRep is unable to reach you) which you'd be able to appeal and have removed. As it stands, we don't give BANNED tags for first-time trades with scammers. That only happens if you keep doing it, after multiple warnings, or if you're systematically brokering/fencing for scammers to help them ban evade for a fee or something like that.

I will also say that, policy aside, receiving one-sided trades from a marked scammer like that can make you look like an alt account. If someone gets a tag, then banned from numerous trading websites as a result, and suddenly all their rare items show up on a new account's Outpost, what would that look like to you? Historically some scammers have made claims just like what you're making to us, or to Steam Support when trade banned, from their alternate accounts, to try and evade the consequences of scamming. My recommendation would be to not accept it and not implicate yourself in such a manner.
    You Are The One and Roudydogg1 like this.