1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Recovering a scammed item for a friend

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Marcus Aurelius, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Marcus Aurelius

Marcus Aurelius Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:53127148
    So a friend of mine got scammed out of his unusual. I traced it through a string of traders (all legit) until I found the current owner. If I manage to get it off of the owner (through legitimate means) and give it to my friend, is that ok?
  2. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    If the string of traders, and current owner, are not themselves scammers, then once you buy it the hat is yours to do with as you wish. If you wish to return it to the victim of a scam, as a gift, there is nothing wrong with that. If you scam the current owner, legitimate or not, that is still a scam and will get you banned for it. You should also not use your friend's situation to try and leverage a deal; the unusual is theirs, which they innocently bought at their own expense, and hence they're under no obligation to return it or even offer any kind of discount or compensation. It would be nice to return it, but it's not required.
  3. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    All what lava said above.

But also, I don't know if this victim had a report here on the case, and what the result was. But it has happened that someone calls something a scam and it turns out to be a sharking issue, or not scammed but just unhappy with the trade etc. And that as a response a friend of theirs started scamming or attempted to acquire these items for that "victim". It is not always that clear what happened and if the claimed victim was really a victim and to the full extend. Hence I'll tell you to at least fully familiarize yourself to the case and make your choice if that is really your motivation. What also comes into play: do you want to include yourself into chain of people that "gave profit forward towards the scammer" ?

Also if the scammer ever appeals, the requirements for the appeal dictates that the scammer repays their victims, which may double with your reimbursement.

This all ofcourse that we are NOT saying that you can't give someone anything. But that is a bit different then trying to reimburse someone's damage.
    Clarn likes this.
  4. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32783182
    I know of multiple instances where users have been praised for buying a hat from the user who committed the scam and then returning it to the victim. Would that be considered "trading with a scammer" and still fall under the trading with scammers category?

For example, before he got marked for duplication Wazman was giving full VIP on Acesfortress among other things for buying back an unusual worth a few buds and returning it to the victim.
  5. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    We have that rule indeed. and the definition:
    - Trading a total worth above a bill's in items.
    - Trading with paypal.
    - Trading any unusual.
    that does not get negated with the intend to give those items back.

Aces did this indeed, and has received several warnings from us about it, and its the reasons AF2 is no longer affiliated with SR, and him getting a caution tag.
    Clarn, ForteSP and Wrath like this.