1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Accepted Report: 76561198157912381 - ([TF2] Team Fortress 2 Items)

Discussion in 'Archived Reports' started by fmca, Nov 18, 2014.

1. fmca

fmca New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:34694528
    Scam Report

Report Type: [Rep Fraud] Impersonation with intent to defraud
    Virtual item type involved: [TF2] Team Fortress 2 Items

Accused profile: 76561198157912381

Victim profile: 76561198029654784

What happened? Description:
    Added me, asked me for my unusual hat, asked me if I had a trusted friend I could give the hat to 'to check it's not duped'. Yadda yadda, we all know this impersonation scam drill by now I would hope. I didn't lend my hat to my friend but I feel like I captured enough evidence of this guy's behaviour to back up the other report against him on here. I attach all the screengrabs.

Also, this account looks new so it could be an alt. Needs investigation by someone else other than me.​

Provide Evidence:
    Capture shows his profile, Captures 2-4 show my original conversation with the guy that became a 3 user conversation when I added my friend, captures 5 and 6 show a secondary conversation with the guy that began after my friend joined our original chat window, and capture 7 shows that he has since made his profile private to stop me from reporting him on steam.​

Attached Files:

2. Sjru

Sjru Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:13315037
    Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:13315037
    Hello, please link the impersonator and impersonated user here
  3. fmca

fmca New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:34694528
    I didn't allow his scam to develop to the point where he would impersonate me, as he would only do so once my unusual was in my friends inventory. I feel like I've demonstrated his intent well enough, and I did not want to take the risk of losing my unusual by giving it to my friend. What do you mean link the impersonator and impersonated user? I have already stated that I was the victim and have provided details of the accused's steam profile.

I am not the only report against this profile. I feel that if you are implying that the only valid reports for this type of scam are the ones where the other user actually copies my profile information once I have handed over my unusual hat to someone else online, then there is little point in me ever making any reports again, because I do not intend to take that risk.

As I say, I am of the opinion that the screengrabs from our chat ought to be sufficient especially in conjunction with the other report that has already been filed against this guy. I have no intention of risking a very valuable hat to perform a kind of sting operation. I went as far as I could in this case, if you guys expect more then I'm afraid it's unrealistic as it's too risky for me. Thanks.
  4. Xenophobia

Xenophobia Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20973413
    Hello fmca

I have accepted your report. Thank you for reporting fraud to us.