1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Reporting is a pain in the ass

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Sinsmi, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Sinsmi

Sinsmi New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:69173358
    I've done it so far to get three people banned.
    Every time it doesnt work, and gets archived before I could explain other stuff (thanks).

What's even the point in doing them, I'm trying to help others not get scammed but the reporting method is such a pain in the ass and navigating this is annoying, that it takes forever to do one report because It doesn't even confirm if the report went through or not, only to be denied?

Hell, theres even an option for fake rep reports then it gets shut down because the mods don't do fake rep reports!?
    I'm just pissed off that I do all this to try and help someone else not get scammed, and then get denied anyways, no matter how obvious it is someone is scamming.

I'm probably never going to come back here again and do another report, why waste tons of my time if it doesn't do s✿✿✿? If anyone responds it's not like I'm going to see it, it's such a pain in the ass to use this website.

I get you guys are trying to do good but PLEASE, for the love of god, don't just archive everything without letting me provide more evidence that would prove WITHOUT A DOUBT that the person was guilty (then set your profile so I can't PM you about it, and the post so I can't add to it -.-)
  2. Enstage

Enstage SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52569926
    Why don't you just provide all this evidence you speak of in the first place? Instead of waiting to be asked for it and then making angry threads when the report gets archived?
  3. a Gentleman

a Gentleman SteamRep Moderator Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:25990581
    The requirements exist so we:
    a. Maintain a standard of unbiased rulings based on evidence in reports.
    b. Don't mark and convict innocent users.
    c. Have strong cases to make when we review appeals. (Note: Only admins review appeals. Moderators don't.)
    d. Are able to reproduce evidence and be able to tell fake evidence from real evidence. (Lots of people like Photoshop, apparently.)
  4. a Gentleman

a Gentleman SteamRep Moderator Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:25990581
    I took a look at all of your past posts. In summary...

You need to understand our updated reporting policies, and perhaps while you're over there, take a good look at what constitutes as rep and what doesn't. Also how to properly screenshot evidence. (Hint: You upload them to this forum - gyazos don't count as evidence.)

So please, take the time to make and review your reports. We won't be able to help you if you can't do the bare minimum.
    Roudydogg1 and Edward. like this.
  5. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    Post everything up front, explain everything in better detail than what you did.
    We don't have time to sit here and walk everyone thru a report over and over when we get 50+ reports a day.
    You posted the exact same report twice - the 2nd time after I marked it invalid due to change of policy noted here:
    http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/notice-changes-to-investigation-policy.47952/
    So the time it took me to address your duplicate "invalid" report I could have done another that may have been valid as in going with SR reporting/investigative policies.

We are currently internally revamping the screen shot guide which should go live soon - hope is to put this right in everyone's face that even starts to make a report.

The topics of the reports are going to be discussed in our next internal meeting with the hope that they also get revised to take care of the grey areas.
    a Gentleman likes this.
  6. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    1st closed report was fake reputation. It was marked invalid because we don't investigate fake reputation. The moderator acted correctly here, barring some very extenuating circumstances there is nothing to elaborate. Report is outside our scope, and requesting additional evidence is a waste of limited staffing resources.

2nd report was a duplicate of the first one. You re-opened it presumably because you disagreed with the moderator's decision. Said moderator was acting according to our investigative policy, so he closed the 2nd one as well, with a link to that policy: http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/notice-changes-to-investigation-policy.47952

3rd report, an allegation that someone is an alt, has no evidence. Several problems:
    1. Neither profile is marked. Having multiple accounts, or even using those accounts together, is not against any rules and not considered fraud. Even if your report has airtight evidence (see below) we can't link them as alts unless one of the two scams. Seeing neither is marked, your report is already slated to be marked "invalid".
      So you understand, when you see "Alt" on someone's profile with a link to someone else, it means that one of those profiles had committed fraud, and created a second (or third, or fourth, or hundredth...) account to cover their tracks once marked. It doesn't mean they committed fraud just by having a second account, and in fact smurfing is extremely common in CSGO.
    2. Normally alts are connected in our database using private, undisclosed tools. Those tools don't always find everything, so sometimes someone may provide substantial evidence of 2 profiles being used together when one or more is a scammer. Typically that may be a server admin, with e.g. timestamped server logs but it could be other circumstances, similar to what presumably happened.
    3. You did not provide any usable evidence. A cropped screenshot of someone, without proof of identity, saying to "look at the f✿✿✿✿✿✿ links" is not proof. Cropped screenshots are normally not accepted, and neither are screenshots hosted on 3rd party websites like Gyazo. Furthermore, what you provided shows no proof of who is who. Where is the profile URLs in the profile screenshot? What exactly are you demonstrating by hovering over a CSGO skin in a profile? Trade offer URL also shows an item of different quality from the first one; that doesn't prove he's an alt. You really need to review our evidence requirements before submitting another report: http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/submission-fundamentals.60254/
    4. If, by chance, you're trying to prove an attempted quick switch scam, which I suspect may be what's going on, you need to make that very clear in your report, and you need to provide solid evidence that implicates both profiles. Proof of one profile linking the other. Proof of offer specifying item quality, and intention to misrepresent. For example, even if the profile in question were an alt (and I'm only speaking hypothetically), and linking his alt account which happened to have the same skin of a different quality, you'd need to prove it was an intentional misrepresentation and not coincidence. For example, he offers an item of X quality and links you to a self-impersonating alt account with quality Y. Alternate possibility: if he was in fact misrepresenting items, that one with a factory new skin may not actually be his. Scammers often impersonate people with expensive backpacks to look legit, so the factory-new owner would have some plausible deniability going by your claims alone. We don't issue scammer tags on speculation.
    These evidence requirements exist for a reason. We're not your personal army. If we accepted your evidence-lacking reports, then we'd have to accept other people's lacking reports as well. How would you feel if someone made a report like that against you, and you were never involved? There would be no way to prove or disprove your innocence with screenshots of that caliber.
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating, SteamRep Friend Members, SteamRep Partner Members, SteamRep Partner SCAs).**