1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Sharking vs Scamming

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by gukingofheart, Jul 29, 2013.

1. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49222635
    In most cases, you can easily tell if someone is trying to shark you or if someone is trying to scam you..but for certain cases, I wonder. So got two questions.

1. Is there ever a case where steamrep would consider something a scam/shark and valve would consider otherwise?

2. If you say an item is rare, but it's not..is that a shark or a scam? (I know traders been marked for lying about the item's quality but not sure about if they just claim an item to be rare)
  2. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

1. we have more rigid guidelines to what a scam consists then Valve I think
    2. If seller claims a property, then that's what he's gotta deliver. Same goes for a buyer wanting a specific property (as long as that got told).
  3. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    next shitpost/offtopic/personal attack in this thread will be a 2 week ban
    edit: don't even mention/reference it, you will be banned.

(you guys know who you are)
    Oz' dak1ne, Sari and Thomas Matthias like this.
  4. ryaneus

ryaneus New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:53135677
    1. I think there is some difference in rules and whats acceptable.

2. Well I think that depends and the onus should be on the buyer to find out how rare is the 'rare' the seller is saying. Item qualities are a whole different thing.
  5. D2Girls

D2Girls New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:17721741
    sharking is bad, scamming is worse.
    what lies under sharking would generally be taking advantage of someone who doesn't know their prices. there are cases of people trading 2,000 dollar hats for a bills hat. they are rare, buy they happen. and have happened a lot more in the past then they do now. you generally won't see sharks like that happen nowadays. in any case, any level of sharking is bad... but it's something that lies outside the reach of most admins ability to punish, since mosts of the admins on servers would have to ban themselves if they enforced what they did to the sharkers ;p hehe.
    as to answer your main question, the answer is yes. valve has tradelocked people for sharking. steamrep does not mark people for sharking. but generally if someone sharks to an extent that valve tradebanned them, they are also scammers. read below to what constitutes a scammer.

as for scamming well, it should be obvious why scamming is a lot worse and a lot different then sharking. generally scamming involves trades that revolve around false information, or one sided where one person doesn't pay up. its usually a trade that involves paypal, or lending out hats to a 'friend' where they steal it and dont pay you for it. things of that nature.

hope this helps!
  6. NCPereira

NCPereira New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:35293815
    If you are lying, you are scamming. Sharking is about omitting stuff.