1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

should SteamRep use StopForumSpam Plugin?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Nebras, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Nebras

Nebras New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:92811415
    I'm pretty sure you all know what it is, my question is what are the reasons SR does not use any such feature?
    posting anything on SR is very easy and spammable, all you need is a steam account which is easier to make it automatic, or making an account using email, why not to force all new users to link an email and confirm it before being able to post?, and why not using PreventForumSpam plugin to filter out known spamming usernames and emails instead of making it all manual?
  2. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    Without getting into details of what we actually have, we don't get that much spam. When we do, it's usually dealt with pretty quickly. Requiring an email be linked and verified is very ineffective at curbing spam.
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
    Nebras and schmed like this.
  3. Inu

Inu TF2Bazaar Owner Retired Staff Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:62120987
    Way less effective than the Akismet API. So I may as well tag @Mattie! and call this my suggestion.
    Nebras likes this.
  4. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    We already use anti-spam databases and they keep out the majority of such things. There will always be people who work around those systems, though.

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    Nebras likes this.
  5. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    as far as I'm aware, it only occurs like 3-4x a week.... and is most times dealt with within the hour by a admin or a mod.
    Nebras likes this.
  6. Nebras

Nebras New User

Steam:
    I was not aware that SR uses any filtering, however I still think forcing email confirmation should help, as it will have a higher chance of being in a spam database
  7. Enstage

Enstage SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52569926
    XenForo has fantastic inbuilt spam filters and anti-spam functionality. They do a surprising amount...
    Nebras likes this.
  8. Nebras

Nebras New User

Steam:
    I am aware of that, but I'm just talking based on my experience, even though I ran a relatively small forum, we received too much spam that we had to run StopForumSpam, the problem is there are some legit users that get filtered out and I had to manually approve them, but again if someone wants to spam, he will spam no matter what you do, you can only try to prevent automatic spam.