1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Steam has now added phone number association with steam accounts.

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by prodigyaustralia, Oct 8, 2015.

1. prodigyaustralia

prodigyaustralia New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:52814116
    What are people's thought's on this?

I feel as though it will be a great addition, It helps keep steam accounts a bit more secure and may help with finding scammer alts in the future.
  2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    I need to read the TOS before I add my phone number to it...last thing I need is to give them permission to spam me with text messages or me agree to them selling it to telemarketers. I wouldn't suggest using it right away till you know more about what is going on with it vs just another level of account security.
    prodigyaustralia likes this.
  3. Tio José das Vacas

Tio José das Vacas SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:32194479
    I added my phone number. No problems yet- no spam messages.

I think is good feature as long as they don't sell the number to Telemarketers.
    prodigyaustralia likes this.
  4. prodigyaustralia

Steam:
    Do you know if they added when you log into a steam from a new location it sends the verification code to your phone?

I know facebook and hotmail used to (I dunno if they still do) but get login locations/verification codes via txt.
  5. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    I already had my phone number in, if memory serves, it was part of the steam smartphone authentication beta stuff.
  6. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    I don't forsee a big issue with it really....if they did what I mentioned then they would likely have a s✿✿✿ storm from negative feedback and privacy issues.
    I'll wait a while before using it as I'm not concerned one bit about my account. I don't do stupid things to put it in a position to be stolen/hacked or what not.

Valve continues to do good things and bad things when it comes to responsibility of an end users account.... I still dislike the damn email verification nonsense being defaulted on to everyone. Good idea but not implemented well IMO, should have been prompted to everyone to click YES or NO to enable it vs how they did it.

Is it too late to ask for in game TF2 trading to be returned? :D
    Roudydogg1 and prodigyaustralia like this.
  7. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Hmm, as I don't trade, I don't know how that is handled with the codes via the steam smartphone app... if its via the app, then thats much easier then via mail...
  8. prodigyaustralia

Steam:
    Question though if you don't put in a phone number, do you think steam will still help you if your account gets hijacked? Probably a stupid question but yeah
  9. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    They continue to push off the responsibility on to the end user in some form. I don't think they can deny you help if you don't add a phone number as not everyone may have a phone or wish to add it. Hijacking shouldn't be happening if people would slow down and take their time clicking on things, checking sites etc... This is me talking too as I feel its no excuse if you slowwww down and pay attention vs being in a rush to make a trade or "get a good deal". A good trader/honest trader will take their time and if the other person needs more time to think about the trade then so be it...when you rush accidents happen :)
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  10. Roudydogg1

Roudydogg1 SteamRep Admin Friend Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:58227918
    Hear hear!
  11. Xenophobia

Xenophobia Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20973413
    I was gonna post about this, but I wasn't sure if it was new.
  12. Katpolice

Katpolice New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:92954363
    Don't know if this is going to similar to how you can request to have conformation emails. (In this case messages).

Also, hope they don't sell the numbers to telemarketers ._.
  13. Enstage

Enstage SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52569926
    I've had it since it was released, doesn't look like they've sold my number to telemarketers; all gone well so far.
    Flying Anonymoose likes this.