1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Accepted 76561197987045458 NT | WaZoo | TF2-T (SR Caution)

Discussion in 'Archived Appeals' started by NT | WaZoo | TF2-T, Nov 20, 2012.

1. NT | WaZoo | TF2-T

NT | WaZoo | TF2-T Donator - Tier IV

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:13389865
    |steamID: NT | WaZoo | TF2-T
    |steamID32: STEAM_0:0:13389865
    |steamID64: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197987045458
    |customURL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/theeprodigy
    |steamrepURL: http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561197987045458

A. http://i48.tinypic.com/2r2yfmc.png
    B. http://i49.tinypic.com/2rw51sx.png
    C. http://i49.tinypic.com/2rp2zvd.png

First, I would like to take the time to apologize for any inconveniences this appeal will cause. I appreciate everyone here at SteamRep and all that they do.
    For clarification, let me explain what I did wrong (I’ll explain the reasoning, and circumstances in a second). I knowingly purchased items from a marked scammer. I’m not proud of what I’ve done, and I wish that I could take it back. With that being said, let’s get into the details.
    I am good friends with the Ex-TF2-T Staff member “King Capacitor” (who will now be addressed as Capacitor), and have been since I started trading in August. Today, at 7:04 PM I received a chat message from Capacitor as I was on Steam Mobile. He informed me that he had just received his items from Steam Support and was interested in trading them. We had discussed the possibility this earlier after he was hijacked, but before he was marked as a scammer. He told me that he was planning to leave the trading scene and had been considering it since his account was hijacked. We talked for a few minutes and he offered to sell me an item that I had previous interest in (a Harvest Moon Flamenco) for a relatively cheap PayPal fee (See Image A). I was excited! Here he was, offering to sell me an amazing hat for a little over half of the value (I should have known better). We agreed on a payment of $450, but I then offered to pay $500 as I thought that the payment was ridiculously low (See Image B). I sent him the money, and the item came immediately after. He then offered me a little gift in addition to the Flamenco, stating that I was one of the few people who he wanted to give something to before he left (He gave me a Painted Ebeneezer). The trade was successful, and I was now the owner of a new Harvest Moon Flamenco (See Image C).

Happy with my new trade, I joined the TF2-Trader server and walked downstairs to my kitchen to get a drink. When I returned to my computer I saw that EFF (a staff member at TF2-T) was attempting to talk to me. He asked where I purchased my new hat, and I proudly (Not so proud anymore) responded that I had purchased it from Capacitor. EFF then began to tell me EXACTLY what I had done wrong, and that I had just knowingly traded with a marked scammer. It hadn’t hit me until then. Capacitor was a long time friend of mine, and I was led to believe that he had done nothing wrong. He told me, along with a few friends (all regulars from TF2-T) that his appeal was in the process of being accepted (We both had the same friends, and play in the same Highlander Team). I had this sinking feeling in my gut that I had just ruined my reputation as an honest trader, or worse, purchased a scammed hat.

The next hour or so was spent talking with EFF and Vengaza about the situation. I informed everyone that I was sorry for what had happened, and I was willing to do anything to make it right. So here we are, I’ve been given the “SR Caution” Tag and my reputation tarnished. Was it worth the 15 bud profit? Hell no.
    My advice to anyone reading this is to be an honest trader, and do what you can to establish a good reputation in our community. Learn from my mistakes.

I know I have.
  2. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    I received a PM for EFF advising me that Wazoo had bought a hat from a tagged player and sought my advice. I immediately got a PM from Wazoo and told him I would speak to him and that I would also PM Mattie from Steamrep. I spoke to Wazoo voice, while seeking guidance from Mattie and filling him in on essential details.

These are the two salient points I conveyed to Mattie:

1: Wazoo admitted he knew Capacitor was tagged prior to trading (although he mention something along of the lines of "well he has an appeal in"
    2: Wazoo admitted EFF approached him, and it was following on from this that he began to be concerned with his actions

I cannot comment on what EFF may have said before my involvement, however I will say Wazoo seemed VERY SCARED to the extent that he said "can I give the hat to SR Admins or delete it", he also asked me to check with Mattie if he could return the hat and seek a refund (to which Mattie said it would not make a difference). Mattie applied a Caution Tag right away, and I communicated this to Wazoo, I further told him to appeal to SR, and said that I would post on the appeal about my involvement.

Wazoo is a regular on unusual servers, and I have no knowledge of any previous untoward dealings, and I can confirm he approached me promptly after speaking to EFF. He appeared to me voice, to be greatly worried about the consequences of his actions, and in so much as I am able to judge seemed genuine. He did not have any issue when I told him I would have to speak to SR right away, and understood when I told him he would receive a Caution Tag right away.

I feel bound to state here, that on TF2-TRADER we make it our business to inform all users quite often, about the consequences of dealing with tagged players as part of our normal fair and safe trading educational routine, so I have no doubt Wazoo was aware of this. It may be greed or bad judgement that led him to this purchase I cannot say.

I am mindful that he reported it to me quickly, and in my interrogation he did not appear to tell any untruth and seemed genuine in his remorse.

What SR does is of course a matter for SR, however I will say that while I take a strong stance against knowingly trading with scammers, I believe there is strong case to be made for downgrading a Caution Tag to an Official Warning in this instance, given the promptness of seeking to find relief, the honest responses I perceived and the fact Wazoo had no issue with me reporting it to SR instantly.

* I am Team Leader for Trade on Gamers United, Head Admin of TF2-TRADER and TF2-TRADER Forum Mod. I am available should any SR Mod require any further info or insight from me.
  3. Elmer F Fudd

Elmer F Fudd Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:1464757
    Here is how it played out from my perspective:

I saw a Harvest Moon Flamenco and knew only 2 existed and one of those was in a former TF2-T admin's, now scammer, backpack. It is part of my duties to look out for 'red flags' that lead me into investigating individuals in our server. The goal is to protect the TF2 Community, from tagged scammers to simply educating the new tf2 user.

When investigating the HM Flamenco is was obvious that the hat came from Capacitor. He was marked as a scammer a few weeks ago and was dismissed from his admin position/duties on TF2-Trader and banned accordingly.

I approached Wazoo and asked him who he got the hat from. He said I got it from Capacitor. At that point I asked him why he knowingly traded with a scammer. His response was, well I talked to Capacitor and he said he was cleared of his tag. He then stated that other 'usuals' told him the same thing. He also stated that Capacitor provided evidence that proved he was hacked, by whom ever, to steamrep.

After hearing this I said, Well Wazoo he is a marked Scammer and it clearly states that he provided false evidence as one of the reason for being marked and to this point he was still mark. A simple steamrep search of Capacitors ID would show his scammer tag contradicts everything he just told me he "heard".

At that point the story changed a bit; then Wazoo said, well I know he was appealing it and since he was a former admin of TF2-T I figured it was an ok deal. As well as saying I dont think he stole the hat either.

I said to Wazoo, Wazoo you are a well known trader, you know the trade game, you know about scammers and steamrep, you are a regular on our server and are fully aware of why Capacitor is no longer an admin. There is no way, as a veteran trader, you would not check someones steamrep before trading them, especially for a God Tier Hat and Effect that you are paying straight PayPal for. Especially for a person you are friends with that you knew was recently marked a scammer. A veteran trader knows to make sure with whom they are trading. I had to inform him that whether or not he stole the hat didnt matter, it was bought with scammed items in one way or the other. This is something I felt he should also know. I was a bit ridiculous that I had to explain that, any of it really.

Wazoo knows these things completely. I told Wazoo it just seemed utterly crazy that you would trade with Capacitor. It creates wonder about what conversations he had with his friend Capacitor, a scammer, about this deal and the idea of trading with a scammer and how to evade or downplay it. Im not saying this conversation happened, but it is a realm of possibility when Wazoo knows what he knows and Capacitor is who he is.

I dont want to equate it to getting caught with your hand in the cookie jar, but that is how Wazoo reacted. VenGaZa's description is accurate to how he reacted. But it was after the fact and that is the real issue here. Wazoo is totally remorseful of his actions and goes to the extents of saying he would rather delete the hat then ruin his reputation. I'm just confused as to how he is so serious about it now, but lacked any caution when he was trading for this hat from this scammer for a "to good to be true" price.

I explained to him, that taking a scammers word for it or other peoples word for it over making sure yourself is a huge mistake. That Capacitor might have an appeal out on his tag, but that does not mean he is not tagged. That a trader should wait until his appeal has ran its course and if he was cleared then make the trade.

Wazoo agreed and admitted he made a huge mistake.

He asked me what or who he could talk to. I pointed him to VenGaZa as a starting point. I told Wazoo I felt bad for him but this whole thing just seemed crazy and unbelievable.

I agree with VenGaZa when he says "It may be greed or bad judgement that led him to this purchase..."

Wazoo is a regular and trusted by many in the community, but this is also why this incident is very troubling and so hard to fully grasp.

However one looks at it, the reality is he cashed out a friend who is a tagged scammer who is now done with the game. Im with VenGaZa in pushing for a downgrade to a official warning if Wazoo attemps, to his fullest, to correct the mistake.

In the end this situation is solely up to steamrep as their experience with these situations is far greater than mine.

Sincerely,

EFF TF2-Trader Admin
  4. NT | WaZoo | TF2-T

Steam:
    I'd like an update on this investigation.
  5. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    You may add me on steam.
  6. NT | WaZoo | TF2-T

Steam:
    Thanks for the reply. I've sent you a Friend Request on steam.
  7. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    New TWS policy + timed tagged + was upfront. Dropping.
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**