1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Steamrep forum search

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Aitchy, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Aitchy

Aitchy New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:37429141
    Hello, long time user of steamrep and thank you for helping keep the trading community safe.

I mod on a game trading subreddit, and have used steamrep for many years. I just want to say that besides the main steamrep search the steamrep forum search is probabaly the next most important thing users can do before they trade with someone.

I can't tell you how many people I have spoken to over the last few years who were unaware this was necessary. Although any reports you might find there on a clean looking steamrep profile might be marked as invalid, or pending or need more info etc in the forums, it can help judge if you think the person is trustworthy or not.

"search steamrep forums" is just in the mix of the research tools with all the other links, but this one is the most important feature second to a main steamrep search.

Would be a good idea to include something else on your main search page pointing or advising people do to this and that it's important to do it. I have spoken to quite a few scam victims who have not realised this. They just search steamrep see a clean profile and thinks that's all they need to do, when what they don't realise is a forum search would show scam reports that have been made on the user but are not marked as accepted.
    Emunator, Roudydogg1 and a Gentleman like this.
  2. Aitchy

Aitchy New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:37429141
    I honestly think this would help the community more, if they are actually told to search the steamrep forums somewhere on the main search page.
  3. Emunator

Emunator New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:64241477
    I agree with you for the reason you stated above:
    It would be good to encourage users to check for all reports on that user, even if their profile is indeed clean.

Or even something similar to an already made feature, the "Unconfirmed reports(#)" feature.
    Would be nice to have something like that, but showing the the total amount of reports, both accepted, invalid or archived.

At the same time however, I strongly believe in the SR team's judgement, if someone is guilty, they would be tagged. (Unless of coarse their wasnt enough evidence, even then, if there wasnt enough evidence for them, there probably wouldn't be enough for you either)

But a good suggestion to encourage searching non the less.
  4. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    If someone is reported for scamming, that report thread immediately shows up on their profile with a slightly different search link. We do this to compensate for reports that our (rather short-handed) staff haven't been able to get to yet, but it's very prominent and even available in the latest version of our API.

However, should the report fall outside our investigative policy or an admin find the report lacking sufficient evidence to permanently attach to someone's reputation, it will be archived. When archived, the "unconfirmed report" will be removed from the accused's profile, but remain searchable through the same standard forum search link you used. As far as we're concerned, their name has been cleared at this point, and we will no longer display negative information on their profile or in the API; it's only fair, considering we never delete reports or posts. That search will identify past appeals, moderator/community applications, or anyone posting the profile's SteamRep ID block anywhere in the discussion forums or elseware, and while sometimes relevant for a more in-depth search, is just not something we need to put in the face of every single trader looking up their reputation.

You are welcome to continue using the search forum link, and encourage others to do so. Doing extended research before a trade is always a good idea, and as someone who deals with game trading a lot of what you're looking for will probably be archived/invalid reports due to our investigative policy, so I totally relate to your need to do deep searches in the forum. However, it's unfair to hold fake/invalid reports (which again we don't delete) against someone on a permanent record. For most others, that information is not as relevant, and by our standards such reports do not carry enough weight to alter someone's reputation. Besides, expecting the entire community, who is mostly looking for a quick "yes or no" answer, to filter through all that noise is unrealistic. Trying to nudge the general public in that direction will just make them pay less attention to SteamRep profiles than they already do.

Nonetheless, thank you for your suggestion.

Seeing you largely deal with game trading, here's a better link you can use to refine your search, which you may share with your own community:
    https://forums.steamrep.com/search/search/?user_content=thread&keywords={PLACE STEAM ID64 HERE}&o=date&nodes[]=3&title_only=1&child_nodes=1
    This is the "unconfirmed reports" link that displays on SteamRep profiles with at least 1 open scam report. When followed, it shows archived reports as well as open ones, even though the "pending reports" count ignores archived reports. You can also get this link from our API.