1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Suggestion- Reduce the backlog.

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by Tio José das Vacas, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Tio José das Vacas

Tio José das Vacas SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:32194479
    Hello guys. Steam Rep has a good management however has a huge backlog. My suggestion to prevent/resolve the backlog , its:
    Promote report to the partner communities- i make all my report on Fog but there are some communities that don't have the backlog you guys have. For exemple put a message on the report section saying "We receive a large numbers of reports a day. Your report will probably take up to 90 days to be reviewed. Make it in a partner community , that will help reduce our payload and your report will be reviewed much quicker".
    Penguin made a video explaining how to report on SR maybe do a video explaining that people can also report on other communities.
    And of course get more staff, new staff needs to be checked i agree and that takes time.
    Maybe get some people from partner communities interested in helping SR. Or promoting some mods to Admin (Srju and SIVARTZ for example).
    It's just a suggestion , probably was discussed already.
  2. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    Many of these things are things we discuss frequently and have some changes planned (as always). The redirecting to partners would be helpful and has been discussed, yet none of our partner communities can handle the volume of reports we have. FoG is a great community and we love how eager they are to help, but obviously not everything can go to them. :)

But we're working on a number of proposals here to reduce the backlog and have a lot of team members working on those changes. Stay tuned.
    Tio José das Vacas likes this.
  3. Ninja Otter With A Taco

Ninja Otter With A Taco Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:35378805
    Although a message saying "Go report to our partner communities" would be great at removing some of the backlog from SR it would cause many problems. Like Mattie said, partner communities don't have the resources to handle anywhere near the amount of reports that SR handles (for instance FoG only has 2 people who handle the scam reports) and if you look at D2T, it's proof that even great communities can't handle anywhere near the reports SR handles.

Also about your idea to promote some mods, there are multiple issues with this including the fact that they might not even want to be an admin in the first place (I know Nero chinki didn't want to be one when he was a mod here)
  4. Chaos

Chaos Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:33058557
    tbh, I feel like SR could go down the route of not taking reports at all. Forward ALL reports to partner communities and spend your time vetting new communities and the bans all your partner communities make. Where does it say that steamrep is obliged to take reports? It's a requirement of entry to the partner system that partner communities are to take reports and process appeals for tags applied so they already have systems in place for this. Most SR admins are also admins of partner communities anyway so if there's any concern about quality go out the window as long as they pay the same attention to detail.

You don't have to look far to find that the current model is not sustainable at all and unless something extreme is done, there will be no change. Either that or you could continue to eliminate scam types you accept (ala phishers) until SR is so niche that there's no point in checking it anymore.

At the current rate, it wont be much longer until I stop checking sr at all. Profiles are 1-2 years out of date (no matter the reputation on it) and it's a lot to expect people to read report after report in order to find out if someone is a scammer, an unlucky victim of a fake report or whatever other potential scenario there is for their tag (or lack of). Out of date information isn't useful to me and I'm sure it's not useful to anyone else either.

Don't get me wrong, I used to be part of SR and I know it's nobodies fault. I want to see SR do well without me and I know all the admins are awesome! :)

Something needs to change for it to remain relevant though.
  5. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    We've discussed options like that, too, as you know Chaos. Thanks yet again for your input.

You're right, SteamRep isn't obligated to take all reports, but we're not looking to stop that entirely. We're working on publishing a priority list for report types to make it clearer how we're handling reports and in which order, and we may eventually reduce our investigative scope a little further. While we'd love to get to every report right away, it will be a long while before we're staffed for that.

This is more of you just taking a dig at us out of frustration (and believe me, I'm frustrated at the volume and problems, too). If you actually consider this objectively-- it's obviously very useful for any senior trader to be able to see what reports are open against someone, even if the account has been delayed to get an admin review. We are prioritizing BANs for accounts with the most reports, so it's important that people continue to share their reports so we can alert the community on repeat offenders especially. And so others can make their own call when we haven't been able to ban them yet. The problem of scammers doesn't magically go away if we stop accepting/reviewing reports, or if we try to push them onto other communities-- people still need whatever tools are available to protect themselves.

SteamRep's usage and reports continue to grow nonstop-- we have major staffing problems, but we've got some very awesome/active staff members. A lot of us are working hard furthering this cause in our spare time. Even if Chaos stops visiting the site, our partners and other traders rely on the data. If you decide to stop visiting, we appreciate the help you offered previously, and wish you the best.

Steam has >75 million users, and with huge games like TF2, Dota2, and CS:GO all getting their share of scammers, we can't ever possibly handle every report. But we're continuing to work on ways to help people protect themselves on Steam-- the volunteer site we have now will evolve, but it's certainly not going away anytime soon.
  6. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32783182

I actually suggested this as well back in my old thread where I pushed the idea for the "pending tags" to be created. I still feel like this could be a good idea, but lately I feel it less and less so.
  7. Tio José das Vacas

SteamRep Admin:
    Thanks for the fast replies. @Ninja Otter With A Taco i used Fog simply as an example i could used MCT or Reddit.
    @Mattie! i know that you guys are volunteers and you have work/scholl/wife/etc... The purpose of this thread has only to help and i really thing that small message ("Go report to our partner communities") would be a great help.
    Once again thx for the fast replies.
  8. Tio José das Vacas

SteamRep Admin:
    Yeah. The problem it's when a person is falsely accused and the trader sees a pending report and doesn't even bothered to read. I saw some trades not being able to trade via paypal because of a pending report that was falsely made.
  9. Chaos

Chaos Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:33058557
    I didn't mean to sound as if I'm having a dig. I really don't mean it like that. I do believe in SR and I believe in all the staff. I don't believe in the current model as I understand it though - I could be (and most likely am) wrong.
  10. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32783182
    I don't see an issue with the pending reports being there, when there is a falsely filed report. The whole point is that it is a notification, to a user looking at someone's SR status, to let them know they may have committed fraud. There is a button right there allowing them to read the report. If a user is too lazy to check the legitimacy of a report, I know I wouldn't want to be trading with them to begin with.
  11. Tio José das Vacas

SteamRep Admin:
    There are so many lazy people... I agree with the pending report notification most of the times it's a good tool, like all things has his exemptions.
  12. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49222635
    I feel kind of bad for those users that did a tiny scam or scam attempt like 6 years ago, changed their ways, but are still marked as a scammer.
    Some scammers start out as 12 year olds, but they grow up, but are still treated like a scammer if they're marked.
  13. Inu

Inu TF2Bazaar Owner Retired Staff Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:62120987
    This is hardly an issue and I don't believe in second chances anyway. The issue at hand is the already huge backlog the SR staff has to go face-to-face with eventually. Plus 2014-6=2008. Pretty sure trading was non-existent in 2008 haha.

The biggest crucible right now is that Steamrep is becoming more irrelevant by the minute. The more scammers slip by due to the severe queue SR has built up, the less relevant such system becomes. I really hope we as community, and especially us partner communities, will be integrated into a system where we can help the SR staff fix these issues and finally make the scammer tag mean something again.
  14. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    A scam is still a scam no matter how "tiny" it is or how young they were. If they can't accept a lesson here to be learned in a game with game items then neither will they in the real world...perhaps you can blame their parents if you want for not over seeing their use of the computer as they should have been.

Also I'm for the idea of partner communities being more involved but you have to also keep in mind that partner failure or dissolve will continue to happen and apparently without warning (RAWR) for example. There are a few current partners that are either very inactive, slowly dying due to many reasons or have already closed up shop but the responsible thing to do is to let everyone else here on SR know what is going on ahead of time. Perhaps if these partners do this their data can be saved with the help of other communities...I've already approached a few communities outside of SR about acquiring their members into my resources as I have plenty.
    Pacquis and Tio José das Vacas like this.
  15. Excalibur 2

Excalibur 2 Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:74787143
    stay tuned mattie said?! It has been 2 months yet no changes has been made I recently got marked and payed back about a week ago and I am stil not unmarked. I have spoken to You are the one and he said that it wud take around 6-18 months for me to be unmarked. I have no faith in this website. One can easily get unmarked as easily as he gets marked. The number of people that get marked each day is unequal to the number of appeals that get accepted every week. All you hv to do is just read the evidence given and accept the damn appeal, is it that hard? The backlog MUST be cleared before accepting any more reports, this is just unfair I can get marked 1 day after the report is made but i hv to wait 1 year to get my appeal accepted? this is just stupid, plain stupid
  16. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    There will always be a backlog, and the time before a appeal will be handled does serve a purpose for us as well. Sure its a bit longer then we want to now, but it will never be handled as soon as the appeal is made, it will always be at least between 3-8 months. Some exceptions will there, but in general that is the minimum.
  17. HappyStix

HappyStix New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:63229145
    Don't scam in the first f✿✿✿✿✿✿ place and you would not have this problem now, would you?
  18. Tio José das Vacas

SteamRep Admin:
    Also it's pertinent to point out that repaying the victim , it's a requirement to the appeal but doesnt mean that the tag is going to be lifted.
    Clive and Mattie! like this.
  19. CSGOLounge - ImRainy

CSGOLounge - ImRainy New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:41870409
    The appeal backlog is definitely ridiculous, a large percentage of them probably are irrelevant now as they have just abandoned those accounts entirely, and if they haven't, it isn't likely they are checking here daily for someone to get around to handling their appeal.
  20. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Wrath likes this.